For Kifaru Xray owners - 15 inch laptop ride ok?

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All, thinking of just going for the gold instead of wasting money on many bags and picking up a Kifaru Xray as an edc pack.

My question for you Xray owners out there:

Will a 15 inch laptop in a sleeve fit OK inside with enough room for more stuff? Or would it be a bit awkward...? Not sure if the shape will be accommodating...

I know there are better bags for carrying a laptop, but, simply put, I want the xray :rolleyes: and I will most like just be carrying a laptap a few times a month.

Thanks!

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi All, thinking of just going for the gold instead of wasting money on many bags and picking up a Kifaru Xray as an edc pack.

My question for you Xray owners out there:

Will a 15 inch laptop in a sleeve fit OK inside with enough room for more stuff? Or would it be a bit awkward...? Not sure if the shape will be accommodating...

I know there are better bags for carrying a laptop, but, simply put, I want the xray :rolleyes: and I will most like just be carrying a laptap a few times a month.

Thanks!

Good choice, you won't be disappointed. 15" laptop should fit no problem, I don't have a 15" laptop, but I do have an X-Ray and it's pretty roomy. I don't think it will slip down into the hydration bladder pocket, but it should fit in the main compartment without issue. You may want to ask this question over at the Kifaru forums to be sure, before you order.

Just a word of advice, you may want to do a little research on the Scout. I find that the X-Ray is a little big for my EDC needs, even with a laptop. The Scout is much lighter and may be all you need. Not positive your 15" laptop will fit, certainly not in the hydration bladder pocket, but I'd bet it would fit in the main compartment.

Kifaru is well worth the $. You can't stop at just one BTW (very similar to the flashlight disease), so beware.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, don't forget to order an Omni belt, you'll want it. You won't need the padded version, in my opinion only use the padded version for packs larger than the X-Ray. The unpadded one is much easier to fold or stow away when you are not using it. Some guys prefer the unpadded ones even on the larger Omni suspension packs. They feel it hugs the hips better and is more comfortable. I would tend to agree.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good choice, you won't be disappointed. 15" laptop should fit no problem, I don't have a 15" laptop, but I do have an X-Ray and it's pretty roomy. I don't think it will slip down into the hydration bladder pocket, but it should fit in the main compartment without issue. You may want to ask this question over at the Kifaru forums to be sure, before you order.

Just a word of advice, you may want to do a little research on the Scout. I find that the X-Ray is a little big for my EDC needs, even with a laptop. The Scout is much lighter and may be all you need. Not positive your 15" laptop will fit, certainly not in the hydration bladder pocket, but I'd bet it would fit in the main compartment.

Kifaru is well worth the $. You can't stop at just one BTW (very similar to the flashlight disease), so beware.

Thanks for the quick response!

Doh I totally forgot about the forums on the kifaru site - I'm sure this has been answered ad nauseam over there :D

Thanks for the heads up on the scout - I actually carry a 2000+ ci northface pack now which honestly hasn't been too big for me... I generally don't mind carrying a larger pack - especially when it can be synched pretty tight.

I'm already bracing my wallet as it seems where the real kifaru bucks go is to the accessories - they must add up real real quick. Already eyeing the liter plus pouch, organizer and mini long pockets :green: poop I'm in trouble.

Anyway, thanks again!
-Harry

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the quick response!

Doh I totally forgot about the forums on the kifaru site - I'm sure this has been answered ad nauseam over there :D

Thanks for the heads up on the scout - I actually carry a 2000+ ci northface pack now which honestly hasn't been too big for me... I generally don't mind carrying a larger pack - especially when it can be synched pretty tight.

I'm already bracing my wallet as it seems where the real kifaru bucks go is to the accessories - they must add up real real quick. Already eyeing the liter plus pouch, organizer and mini long pockets :green: poop I'm in trouble.

Anyway, thanks again!
-Harry

Go easy on the accessories at first. There is a huge learning curve with these packs. There are so many different ways you can set up and compress the pack without any accessories. I would get some good use out of it first, before adding accessories, because you will know better what you need after you use it for a while.

If you don't heed these words before ordering accessories, then I have this advice:

Go with the mini-longs over the liter+ pouches. When you stuff a Nalgene in a Liter+ it puffs out like a pregnant pig and can cause some flop, also not so good looking. Mini-longs don't do that, they stay nice and slim against the pack.

I like to use 3 of the "Lock n' Load" #1 pouches attached to the internal MOLLE panel, for internal organization.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow - thanks again for the advice - you just saved me on the liter pouch and I will definitely add the belt and those lock n loads look perfect for the inside molle :thumbsup: (in due time, of course :D)

But you are exactly correct - I am going to try my hardest to hold off on purchasing too much at once and see how it works alone. I just checked out a PDF on the kifaru site with info on all the attachment points and it is utterly mind-blowing what can be done to modify the pack.

Also, just checked out the scout and although it might be a more manageable size, I'm not too wild about how it looks or rides... Also I feel like I can kill a few birds with one stone with the xray (if you cant already tell I'm in love with that thing :shakehead)

Thanks again for feeding my current obsession ;)

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect thread as I have been wanting an X-Ray for a while now and am planning to put in an order soon.

Was going to get the X-Ray, medium Pod for the bottom, 2x Liter Pouches but I'll check out the Mini-Longs now, unpadded belt, and maybe The Padded Chamber, Lock 'n Load #10 or #3 and The Organizer Pocket or Stash-It.

Still debating black vs. the ever trendy foliage green!

Pics!

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perfect thread as I have been wanting an X-Ray for a while now and am planning to put in an order soon.

Was going to get the X-Ray, medium Pod for the bottom, 2x Liter Pouches but I'll check out the Mini-Longs now, unpadded belt, and maybe The Padded Chamber, Lock 'n Load #10 or #3 and The Organizer Pocket or Stash-It.

Still debating black vs. the ever trendy foliage green!

Pics!

Oh man, we should turn this thread into "Kifaru advice for virgins" :D

LLCoolBeans has already been invaluable!

Here are some awesome ones of the Xray:

http://www.militarymorons.com/equipment/kifaru/kifaru8.html

But I'm sorta digging the tan...

Last edited:

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I could ramble on about Kifaru gear all night long.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

If you are really interested in the gear, I highly recommend reading the Kifaru message board. It's an invaluable resource. Without the message boards one could buy a Kifaru pack, use it for their entire life and never learn all the things you can do with it. Heck even with the forums, people come up with new ideas all the time.

The most important part of the Kifaru design is the hip belt. This allows you to take all the weight off of your shoulders when you are carrying for long periods of time. No other pack manufacturer has a more comfortable and effective suspension system.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may want to remove that link to the MM website. Its causing the MM security dialog to come up every time I refresh the page.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, I could ramble on about Kifaru gear all night long.

If you have any specific questions, I'll be happy to answer them.

If you are really interested in the gear, I highly recommend reading the Kifaru message board. It's an invaluable resource. Without the message boards one could buy a Kifaru pack, use it for their entire life and never learn all the things you can do with it. Heck even with the forums, people come up with new ideas all the time.

The most important part of the Kifaru design is the hip belt. This allows you to take all the weight off of your shoulders when you are carrying for long periods of time. No other pack manufacturer has a more comfortable and effective suspension system.

Thanks - just removed the picture altogether.

I've just spent the past 45 mins reading through the kifaru forums - they are indeed a great resource and it looks like enough people have mentioned they carry a 15 incher to not worry :D But again, the options are simply overwhelming.

Looks like I will absolutely order the unpadded belt and organizer to begin...

Appreciate your help and offer for advice!

Now back to the Kifaru forums :)

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes the laptop will fit fine. Like beans said go easy on the extras. Just by the pack in the color you want first. If there is somthing you have to have then get it, but everything you see you can buy later on.

I love my foliage green pack but A lot of people still look at you funny like your a gear qeer. If it was me I would get black. Black or folaige is the best civilian color.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks benchmade_boy,

Getting ready to place the order next week for the Xray and the unpadded belt.

The color is the only thing holding me back - I really like the coyote brown but am afraid it might get a bit dirty too easily (like I really should care about that). Black isnt really my thing either. I just can't decide - mea culpa :shakehead

Also - grommets? I'm thinking no as I don't intend to fall into a lake.

LLCoolBeans

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks benchmade_boy,

Getting ready to place the order next week for the Xray and the unpadded belt.

The color is the only thing holding me back - I really like the coyote brown but am afraid it might get a bit dirty too easily (like I really should care about that). Black isnt really my thing either. I just can't decide - mea culpa :shakehead

Also - grommets? I'm thinking no as I don't intend to fall into a lake.

:crackup: <- Laughing with you, not at you.
That's the weirdest argument I've ever heard against coyote brown. Coyote brown is designed to be the color of dirt. So, I don't think you have anything to worry about there, if anything it will hide dirt.

Just a random fact here: Coyote brown is the companion color to USMC MARPAT. Foliage green is the companion color to US Army UCP (ACU). Coyote brown also goes nicely with Multicam, however the newer darker coyote doesn't go as well as the older more tanish coyote did.

Unless you really like black (and it sounds like you don't), go with CB.

You won't need the drain grommets, but some people like them.

Just a side note here on grommets: You can, get the drain grommets and plug them with small corks. That way you have them if you need them, but you can seal them up to keep dust out.

I'd say don't worry about the grommets, but it's up to you.

benchmade_boy

Flashlight Enthusiast
No you really shouldnt need gromets. They are not worth what they want. They would be good if your a cave person but the gromets also let water in. One nice thing about them is if you put a bottle in your bag and the lid isnt tight, the water will come out and not sit there and let you papers soak up the water. Its really up to the user, I put them on my pack but dont use them.
The coyote brown is a little dark, not the typical kahki like coyote brown.

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guys thanks again for the information! Beans, between this and the clicky info I owe you a small consulting fee ;)

I will stop OCDing and just get the CB (it sounds dark enough) with no grommets :rolleyes:

THANKS! :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

bullfrog

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well the order has been officially placed for my Kifaru Xray in coyote brown with an unpadded PALS omnibelt :party::party::rock:
I guess its a good thing that the new Surefire lineup isn't being released anytime soon! :rolleyes:

Thanks again all - you guys definitely made this a lot easier for me :thumbsup:

I will make sure to get pics up when she arrives.

Now the torturous wait begins!