li-ion 3.6 or 3.7 volts what is the difference

Anders

Enlightened
Hello TinderBo.

When Li-Ion first hit the market they have a mid point voltage of 3,6, they were charged to a maximum of 4.1 volt.

Li-Ion cells after -95 has a nominal voltage of 3,7 Volt and they should be charged to 4,2 Volt.

Nowadays 3.6 and 3.7 volt cells are the same.

Anders

TinderBox (UK)

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi.

I read that charging a 3.7 lin-ion to 4.2 will reduce it`s life, and that 4.0 will prolong it`s life at a loss of some capacity.

But if you charge a 3.6 in a 3.7 charger will not the 3.6 be more likely to be overcharged as you don`t know what the chargers max charge voltage is.

So would it not be best to just stick to 3.7 volt battery`s , or is overcharge protection built into the battery`s

Thanks

John.

Hello TinderBo.

When Li-Ion first hit the market they have a mid point voltage of 3,6, they were charged to a maximum of 4.1 volt.

Li-Ion cells after -95 has a nominal voltage of 3,7 Volt and they should be charged to 4,2 Volt.

Nowadays 3.6 and 3.7 volt cells are the same.

Anders

Marduke

Flashaholic
Hi.

I read that charging a 3.7 lin-ion to 4.2 will reduce it`s life, and that 4.0 will prolong it`s life at a loss of some capacity.

But if you charge a 3.6 in a 3.7 charger will not the 3.6 be more likely to be overcharged as you don`t know what the chargers max charge voltage is.

So would it not be best to just stick to 3.7 volt battery`s , or is overcharge protection built into the battery`s

Thanks

John.

They are virtually the identical battery. It's just a difference of what nominal voltage the manufacturer sticks on the label.

Last edited:

Anders

Enlightened
Hi.

Thanks

John.

You.ll right about the first sentence, if you charge them to 4,1 or less than 4,2 Volt you'll prolong their life.

The true 3,6 volts that would be charged to 4,1 Volt is no more in service life, they don't produce them no more.

Anders

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Anders,

In general you are correct, however, Saft is still making 3.6 V Li-Ion cells and is recommending charging them to 4.1 volts. I don't believe these are available to the general public as they are intended for space and military applications.

Tom

bluecrow76

Enlightened
EDITED: Good questions! I have a handful of Ultrafire 3.6V cells that I've always wondered if I could charge them in my Ultrafire WF-139 chargers.

Last edited:

45/70

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't think they sell cells in "our" sizes.......

She sells sea shells on the sea shore;
The shells that she sells are sea shells I'm sure.
So if she sells sea shells on the sea shore,
I'm sure that the shells are sea shore shells

Don't know about Saft sizes, but I'm sure this babe could set us up will some sizable sea shells, for sure. :)

I've always thought 3.6 and 3.7 Volt cells were the same, just rated differently. Interesting.

bluecrow, are you sure that's not 3.0-3.7 Volt? I have a 138, and it's 3.0 Volt for LiFePO4 and 3.6 for LiCO.

Dave

Last edited:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
bluecrow, are you sure that's not 3.0-3.7 Volt? I have a 138, and it's 3.0 Volt for LiFePO4 and 3.6 for LiCO.

You're absolutely right. I was thinking of some blue Ultrafire 3.6V cells and wrote about my Powerex 3.0V cells instead! :ohgeez: Updating my above post shortly. Thanks!