Looking for an 18650 light...

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Can someone help?

I am looking for an 18650 light that meets these criteria, and I'm having a little difficulty, there's just so many options.:eek: and I am a bit overwhelmed.

-Price in the $100 and under range.
-Very well regulated with flat output.
-Smooth beam characteristics, not as ringy as my DX P60 modules.
-Low-low mode 5-10 Lumen range, ~10 hours, with no PWM flicker. A long running Low-low mode is PARAMOUNT, and the TOP priority.
-High in the 150-200 Lumen range, ~90 minutes.
-Medium could be anywhere in between.
-Bomb-proof reliable with Surefire-level manufacturer/retailer support. I drop my lights somewhat often so it needs to be able to withstand chest-level falls to concrete. To put this into perspective, thus far I have cracked a 6P lens and killed an Inova X1. This light will be used at work & home so I need some degree of reliability.
-No flashing modes.
-Mode memory or a sequence that starts out in low-low.
-Twist switch is preferred followed by forward clicky, No reverse clicky please.
-TypeIII would be nice, but its not a must have.
-Bezel size/diameter needs to be no larger than my SF-M2

Lumapower Encore comes close... however threads like this scare me.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/214132

http://www.batteryjunction.com/lumapower-encore.html

is there anything else I should consider?

Last edited:

supergravy

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam Jet-III Pro ST

I was going to say the same thing. It nails your requirements almost exactly, except it does have flashing modes. The beauty of it though is that you can program them away.

Oops, just saw that you don't like reverse clickies either. I think the jetbeam comes with both forward and reverse clickies but the IBS is geared towards using reverse.

JasonH

Enlightened
If the LOW LOW isnt required, dereelights cl1h might be a choice, Im not positive how low the 3sd pills go lumen wise, though it isnt bright at all.

KiwiMark

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to say the same thing. It nails your requirements almost exactly, except it does have flashing modes. The beauty of it though is that you can program them away.

Oops, just saw that you don't like reverse clickies either. I think the jetbeam comes with both forward and reverse clickies but the IBS is geared towards using reverse.

You can convert the reverse clicky Jet-III with this: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/forwardclickie.html
The Jet-III Pro ST here: http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/jetiiiprost.html is listed with forward clicky.

I have programmed the IBS on my Jet-IIIM with its forward clicky - not really a problem.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I've been looking almost the same thing. The Jetbeam Jet-III Pro ST looks Sweet, but I really like the warm tint on my Sgt Burkett with a K2. I'm looking for a driver that will give me two or three modes with this light. I think that will be close to perfect for me.

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ST is openable, not sure how easily, but it can be done, so you could easily swap in a 5A Q5 for a very warm tint :)

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the Jetbeam JET III's is what You want.
set the three levels of the I.B.S. as You like.

(my Pro ST came with the forward installed and an additional reverse klicky together with spare o-rings and tailcap, but I got the ST for ease of pocketing. If larger head is no problem, get one of the other models)

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I think the jetbeam comes with both forward and reverse clickies but the IBS is geared towards using reverse.

I just played with an IBS and a forward clickie for the first time yesterday and it is not difficult at all. The only thing I don't like about the forward clickie is not being able to change modes without switching the light off (even though its only off for a VERY short time).

EDIT: I also like the fact that the Jetbeam has no memory, so you always know where its going to come on. That's what steered me clear of the Encore.

gilly

Enlightened
Jet III-M would probably be your best bet as far as survivability. Hearty stainless steel bezel and a stainless steel base with a recessed button. Most frequently broken part of a light in falls is the switch (if I remember correctly).

Sticking point may be that it is not fully regulated on 18650. (but is on RCR123)

Still, all in all, it is a very solid, functional light. See Selfbuilt's review:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/211631

Good luck!

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you don't need a low low mode, the eagletac T10L might work. It has very good regulation, and good runtimes. Eagletac is a pretty new brand, but their customer support has been pretty good in my experiences with them. Their lights are also pretty durable, and the T10L has momentary ability. The modes are changed by loosening the head.
Again, no low-low mode, but otherwise it seems to fit your requirements.

xpea

Newly Enlightened
You cannot go wrong with a trusty Dereelight CL1H 3SD. It's my edc. The design and the company has already proved to be top notch.
It meets all your requirement and you can chose the tint you want (WC, WH and warm 5A). Moreover Dereelight support is tremendous and the modular concept / upgradability is hard to beat. Tomorrow a new emitter is launched ? no problem, it will have a new pill to put your CL1H always up to date :twothumbs

Jetbeam has some nice products but not on par with Dereelight in some key area. For example their switches are not so reliable and the support/warrantee not so bullet proof (I'm still waiting for a CLE v2 switch after 2 already failed on me...)

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Thanks all for the suggestions... I was kind of expecting my choices would be slim. I should have better emphasized my importance in a low night-vision preserving mode, so I have updated my OP accordingly.

Jet-III pro ST from BOG is the front runner... but please keep dropping suggestions, thanks in advance!!:D

:popcorn:

Does anyone else have experience with the Lumapower Encore?... Just how fragile are they, and have they updated the design?

Last edited:

gilly

Enlightened
You cannot go wrong with a trusty Dereelight CL1H 3SD. It's my edc. The design and the company has already proved to be top notch.
It meets all your requirement and you can chose the tint you want (WC, WH and warm 5A). Moreover Dereelight support is tremendous and the modular concept / upgradability is hard to beat. Tomorrow a new emitter is launched ? no problem, it will have a new pill to put your CL1H always up to date :twothumbs

Jetbeam has some nice products but not on par with Dereelight in some key area. For example their switches are not so reliable and the support/warrantee not so bullet proof (I'm still waiting for a CLE v2 switch after 2 already failed on me...)

I love my CL1H as well, but unfortunately it does NOT have a low, low mode that will run for 10 hours. I have runtime tested mine on low and it only goes about 6 hours.

cheetokhan

Enlightened
You asked for a smooth beam. That would leave out the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST. Mine has a very ringy beam. It's one of the worst lights I own for beam quality that uses a OP reflector. It has a bright hotspot surrounded by a very dark ring, then a bright ring, then another dark ring, then, finally, a dim outer ring.

Last edited:

marinemaster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pila is a great light. I had mine for a while and is a workhorse. The body is made for a 18650. I have the GL2 model. Their charger is also top of the line. Very good quality. Pila offers 1 stage only LED. If Malkoff would offer 3 stages LED it would be great.

http://www.flashlightz.com/search.php?script=filtered&brand=Pila&gclid=CNHckLfamZgCFQJHxwodhjPXmg

I think they usually have sales 20% off in February. Next month. Email them.

I do not recommend Deerlight modules. Had them, they started breaking after few months, the soldering came off.

As far as Deerlight....I had them all and I was dissapointed. I would not buy another Deerlight. They have too many parts, light started to flicker after a while, at times they would not turn on or get stuck in the same mode.

Jetbeam I never had any, I always wanted to get one but never did. From the reviews they are good lights.

Let me know which one you get.