Newbie with some questions

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
I CCW and bought a bunch of stuff while waiting the year it took to get my permit so much of what I got I now realize isnt perfect for me. I have a full Milt Sparks rig and because they make a holster for the 6P I bought it and the 6P light. With more research on here as a guest I saw the Malkoff P60 and got it as well. It is a great upgrade and friends ask me all the time WTF it is since it can shine so far and so bright yet is a small hand held light.

What I realize now is that carrying the holster on my belt is just a lot of stuff to lug around so I want something with a belt clip that I can just ride in my pocket and go. I figure I can now keep the 6P/malkoff in the car and carry another light with me as needed. I dont think I need it daily since there are few times I would use it but having the pocket clip would make it easier to just grab and go.

So with that said I have been researching and have both the Surefire C2/malkoff in mind as well as this Fenix TK series. I saw with my research on here about the TK11 R2 that is about to come out in a few days so I am confused as to what to get now. I like the idea of the newest and best so since the web site has a projected ship date of 1-20-09 I figure I could get it this coming week.

Is there any input to my thoughts you light lovers have or is this a good light for me?

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
So should I just stick with the Malkoff upgrade and get the Surefire C2?

I like all I have read about the Fenix but in my research I find other options that sound good as well so I am going nuts. I almost just want to stay with what I have but wish it had a pocket clip. Then I start thinking that with all my gear I doubt I will be wanting to carry anything extra like a light.

Toaster

Enlightened
So are you looking for a light that is about the same size as your 6P with a clip? Or a smaller more pocketable light with a clip? The TK11 is close to the size of your 6P and doesn't have a clip so I'm not sure what you're trying to go for with that.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
So are you looking for a light that is about the same size as your 6P with a clip? Or a smaller more pocketable light with a clip? The TK11 is close to the size of your 6P and doesn't have a clip so I'm not sure what you're trying to go for with that.

Ahh good catch. I just saw the clip on the Tk10 so figured they both had clips. Well I guess that burns that option, lol.

carrot

Flashaholic
The TK10 is a nice light but the clip sucks. Stick with Surefire if a clip is a strong requirement, most other manufacturers see the clip as an afterthought. Try the Surefire C2 or the even more pocket friendly E2DL or E2L.

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Maybe I will just forget it and keep the 6P/Malkoff that I have and toss it in my pocket with out the clip. I guess seeing as how I have the nice leather holster I could just get used to wearing it.

Carrying 1 gun, 2 spare mags, a Microtech LCC, Kimber Lifeact, and now a light seems crazy. If I had to pick one to give up it would have to be the light since it would be used the least. The pepper spray is a must for me to CCW in California. It shows the thought of having non lethal force available as an option so you dont appear to a jury as having only deadly force and looking to use it. This is what I have been taught in my training and I tend to agree so I carry it all the time when and especially when I CCW.

I love having the light but am second guessing adding to my belt, lol.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to lighthound.com and get a clip for your 6p. They have one that is not surefire, but will work on a 6p.

Maybe I will just forget it and keep the 6P/Malkoff that I have and toss it in my pocket with out the clip. I guess seeing as how I have the nice leather holster I could just get used to wearing it.

Carrying 1 gun, 2 spare mags, a Microtech LCC, Kimber Lifeact, and now a light seems crazy. If I had to pick one to give up it would have to be the light since it would be used the least. The pepper spray is a must for me to CCW in California. It shows the thought of having non lethal force available as an option so you dont appear to a jury as having only deadly force and looking to use it. This is what I have been taught in my training and I tend to agree so I carry it all the time when and especially when I CCW.

I love having the light but am second guessing adding to my belt, lol.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Dereelight CL1H might work.

It also uses the P60 type drop-ins/modules and also has a clip.

:welcome:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
:welcome:

Wow... a year to get your permit! It doesn't happen too often, but that's another one that makes me glad to live in Louisiana! :twothumbs

I CCW a Keltec P32 in a Desantis Nemesis wallet pocket holster, so right now my belt line is free for things like cell phones and lights in holsters. I used to have a Para Carry... I miss it. :mecry: I currently EDC a Novatac 120P in the pocket using the clip and various lights on the belt (depends on which way the wind is blowing as to which light I use for backup, but the 120P is always with me).

I recently acquired a Jetbeam III PRO that also has a clip. It is programmable and bright. If you want to see a lot of lights compared quickly, take a look at selfbuilt's round-up reviews (see his sigline for links).

Good luck with your search! :twothumbs

Brian1911

Newly Enlightened
Thanks guys.

I looked at the clips for the 6P and they seem like not such a solid idea. If I am understanding them correctly they just fit loosely behind the tail cap and with an )-ring filling the gap wont wiggle as badly.

I may just do the holster thing with the 6P for a bit and get used to it. I am thinking about this and my feelings are that I would rather have it on my belt then anything else in my pockets. Something as long as that light would bunch up pretty good I would think. If not then I for sure need to get a light meant for a clip that is more solid.

I also think I will stick with what I know and stay with a Surefire and Malkoff since all this seems a bit confusing and I already know I like the 6P/Malkoff setup. Of course I dont have 100 lights to compare against but it sure gets the job done and is the best light I have ever owned. I do hunt ebay often and if I can snatch up a Surefire C2 I will do that and get the Malkoff P60 again. This way I can have 2 lights and one with a clip to have options of how to carry it when needed.

As for my CCW I live in California so I am lucky to have it let alone complain about the wait. :) Currently I CCW a full size 1911 Les Baer customed by John Harrison in a full Milt Sparks rig. I quickly learned that even though its my most loved pistol it isnt right for the job. I just DROS'ed a HK USP45 Compact and am again waiting on a full rig from another maker all done up in Shark. :) Should make my life easier and give me some weight/size reduction that I need for CCW.

PS

Besides for my job I visit peoples homes and give them their Physical Therapy and recently had a very odd experience. My patients older mom felt the need to do a "there there" sort of tap on my left hip. What she was tapping were my 2 spare 1911 mags and all I could hear were the rounds rattling around. Thankfully she didnt make a face or question what was in there. If I had the light on my off side I would pull it out and say see I carry a light just because and chalk it up as a close one, lol.

Last edited: