LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine

LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine?

• Total voters

dirtybore

Newly Enlightened
I've read here about inductor whine & I understand it is not detrimental to the unit or its performance. My LF3XT has it loudly when running at 100% brightness. None of my other high-end LED lights exhibit this.

Does anyone else have this issue with this light?

The purpose of this thread is an attempt to ascertain the number of owners that have or do not have inductor whine with their LiteFlux LF3XT lights. At the risk of sounding blunt, I'm not interested in what other lights you own that have a whining sound, nor do I need to have it reiterated how it isn't injurious to the light or its performance. I'm not going to open it up and "pot" it either. The purpose then, is for me to kindly invoke other user's help in determining if I received a "dud" and should return it to the merchant for replacement. :sigh:

Thanks folks.

Last edited:

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't heard a flashlight whine in the last 20 years but I suspect that the reason is not in the inductors .... :laughing:

I'll show my LF3XT to some young people and ask them. :)

madi05

Enlightened
Hi , i voted no because really it is at its brightest setting only and there may be a hint or a very slight hint of a power sound but it really isnt what i would call a whine more so just a very faint im pushing max sound and i mean i have to cut everything off in the house and put the light to my ear to hear and then it could be my ears playing a trick on me ,, lol

madi05

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Mine behaves like what Madi05 described. I'm probably also in Kilovolt's camp. I really only hear it in my right ear, when the normal ringing isn't too loud. :laughing:

Geoff

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine does NOT wine, nor does any other flashlight that I own, including a D10, EX10, which are notorious for doing that. I would bet that those who are sensitive to whines in one flashlight, probably hear it in others, not just one brand or model. I would be curious of those reporting they hear a whine, to state their age, and whether the LF3XT is the only flashlight that they own that whines. (As you get older, many lose their ability to hear certain high frequencies. Even younger people, depending on their occupation and prior noise exposure, may already have some high frequency hearing loss.)

Having said all this, I am not saying that those who hear noise in their flashlights are overy sensitive. Flashlights should not whine, whether you can hear it or not. If mine does wine, I am glad I don't hear it, but I feel sympathetic for those that are bothered when they do.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
My LFX3XT whines on various levels, but I can only hear it if I'm holding it within 2 feet of my ears. I have the same issue with an EX10, but not my D10.

EDIT: I'm 32 and have excellent hearing. :D

Last edited:

dirtybore

Newly Enlightened
Age & LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine

For the record, I'm 45 and enjoy listening to Rammstein at ungodly levels on my 3,300 watt sound system. So if anyone might be a candidate for Presbycusis, I believe it may be me. I can plainly hear it whining even over ambient household noises.

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
I voted "I don't own one, but I'd still get it if it whines" - hopefully this next payday I can finally order it...

I personally think it'd be kinda cool. Brighter than the lights average people are used to seeing, and if someone made a comment on it's brightness - "Yeah, thing's so damn bright you can HEAR it" and if someone comments on just the sound "Too many features crammed into one small light - it's claustrophobic"

:cool:

BabyDoc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I voted "I don't own one, but I'd still get it if it whines" - hopefully this next payday I can finally order it...

I personally think it'd be kinda cool. Brighter than the lights average people are used to seeing, and if someone made a comment on it's brightness - "Yeah, thing's so damn bright you can HEAR it" and if someone comments on just the sound "Too many features crammed into one small light - it's claustrophobic"

:cool:

I don't think you will be disappointed with this light, even if it IS NOT the brightest single cell CR123 light out there, because it isn't. Still, the LF3XT puts out about 120-130 lumens which is more than adequate. What sets this light apart is not its brightness, but rather its feature laden interfaces, 2 of them, along with the smoothest, most artifact free Q5 single cell beam of any light I have tried to this point. If it whines at you, it may be screaming, "I am a great value! Love me". And more than likely, even if you don't hear that whine, you probably will love this light.

Last edited:

Budman231

Enlightened
My LF3XT whines slightly on 100%. I can't hear it unless I put it up to my ear. It's not noticable during regular use. I very seldom use 100% anyway.

Look at it this way, if you have kids I'm sure they whine a heck of a lot more than this light (and cost a crap load more too)... I can verify this fact. :)

Bud

Simplicity05

Newly Enlightened
I don't think you will be disappointed with this light, even if it IS NOT the brightest single cell CR123 light out there, because it isn't. Still, the LF3XT puts out about 120-130 lumens which is more than adequate. What sets this light apart is not its brightness, but rather its feature laden interfaces, 2 of them, along with the smoothest, most artifact free Q5 single cell beam of any light I have tried to this point. If it whines at you, it may be screaming, "I am a great value! Love me". And more than likely, even if you don't hear that whine, you probably will love this light.

You and other's have already talked me into this light being my first, and I have plans on picking up a D10 for my mother to use at night.

All I was saying is that to the average holy-smokes-a-3D-mag-is-really-bright person, even a single cell LED will blow it away. After all the reading, I fully understand that it's not the brightest under the sun - the "Got Throw?" thread that can be found via the google search bar proves that point very clearly :laughing:

bluecrow76

Enlightened
I have plans on picking up a D10 for my mother to use at night.

Not to hijack the thread, but.... I would say get her an LF3XT also and leave it in CUI mode. CUI has the same interface as the D10 just smarter (ie. it ramps in the proper direction when you are at min and max). The only downside would be that she would have to use CR123 cells until the 2xAA body is released. If it is ever released I'm willing to bet she would probably like the size of it better. Just a thought...

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Re: Age & LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine

For the record, I'm 45 and enjoy listening to Rammstein at ungodly levels on my 3,300 watt sound system. So if anyone might be a candidate for Presbycusis, I believe it may be me. I can plainly hear it whining even over ambient household noises.

Since most of us don't seem to have a problem with the whine, it sounds like you may have a gimpy light. Have you had anyone else listen to it? Other than this is everything else working correctly, as far as you know? I think I'd email your vendor about your concern.

Geoff

dirtybore

Newly Enlightened
Re: Age & LiteFlux LF3XT Inductor Whine

Yes indeed. Others can hear it as well. My 26 year old assistant can hear it from about 4 feet away. I can hear it when I hold it above waist level.

Everything else does work fine. I LOVE this light - no sense in sending it back if about half of us users (so far reporting in) can hear it to some level as well. It has so much going for it - if it were not for the whine it would be my favorite EDC, perhaps my favorite unit that I own thus far!

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
I've never seen this light taken apart, and don't own one to give it a try, but if you can get to the PCB and give it a good coating of two-part epoxy you'll eliminate that whine. Best of luck. ..now if only I could come up with something as easy for the old ball and chain...

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sensitive to high pitched whines. I can hear my LF3XT whining on the higher levels, but I have to have it pretty close to my ear. Some probably whine louder than others, mine is quiet enough that I consider it to be a non-issue.

madi05

Enlightened
I've never seen this light taken apart, and don't own one to give it a try, but if you can get to the PCB and give it a good coating of two-part epoxy you'll eliminate that whine. Best of luck. ..now if only I could come up with something as easy for the old ball and chain...

is there a how to thread somewhere meaning showing it done in pictures? and would it hurt anything ? like future upgrades etc.

madi05

Armed_Forces

Enlightened
is there a how to thread somewhere meaning showing it done in pictures? and would it hurt anything ? like future upgrades etc.

madi05

I have no idea if a thread exists.
Try searching "potting PCB".
This is very common in the electronics industry but they use specialized potting compounds. With the tiny amount you would need I doubt anybody is going to be ordering any of that. ..especially when you see the price and MOQ (min.order.quantity) :eek:oo: anyway, 2-part epoxy is an easily sourced, cheap substitute for this type of application. Epoxy is permanent! so depending on how much room you have to work with it could affect future mods depending on how you apply it. Like I said, I've never seen this light taken apart so I can't be more specific but since all of you guys are whining over the noise made by some of the inductors I thought I'd pass this little tip along. Best of luck.