I need some help choosing!

MikeGoob

Newly Enlightened
Please dont bash me, Im new! This amazing website is overwhelming with information! I have a few simple things Im looking for and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

In order of importance:

1. Uses a single CR123 battery
2. BRIGHT! Seriously. Bright. Spot more than flood.
3. wont melt or break (like my last light)
4. Under $150 ish

I had a really decent 'amilite' a few years ago BUT I had it on for about an hour and for some reason that messed up the switch. Now it wont turn on or stay on reliably.

Battery life is of no importance. I dont care if it uses up a single CR123 in 20 minutes. Really.

What should I buy? There are so many custom lights out there that look really good! Should I get a fenix? nitecore? Im lost!!

Last edited:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The Nitecore Extreme, Fenix P2D/PD20, EagleTac P10C or T10C are some lights you should look at.

:welcome:

GPB

Enlightened
I'm sure you're going to get a lot of great reccomendations here. I have and absolutely love the Surefire E1B. It fits your requirements exactly, is backed up with great warranty if you're worried about it failing, and is bright, with more throw than spill. It is rated at 80 lumens on high, which doesn't seem like all that much, but it "feels" like much more. (Unfortunately I can't compare it to the other suggestions because its the only quality light I have in the single 123 cell category)

Because lumen ratings can be different from one company to the next and beam shape can impact the perception of brightness, you might want to narrow your choices and then ask on here if anyone has the 2 or 3 lights you're considering. They could give you more detailed recomendations based on what you want. Most people on here are amazingly helpful and very willing to discuss their lights. Good luck with your choice.

MikeGoob

Newly Enlightened
there are a LOT more variables than I expected. Still trying to wade through the charts on the link provided above...

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
there are a LOT more variables than I expected. Still trying to wade through the charts on the link provided above...
Yeap, can be very overwhelming. When I first got into lights I must of read that thread 100 times before making a decision. Which was the P2D. A few months later went back to the thread and got a Jetbeam II IBS, and then again referred to the thread again for the EX10 and serveral other times..... its really makes me sick.

P.S- Selfbulit has many other reviews for 2AA lights 1AA lights and etc. His work is top notch.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Please dont bash me, Im new! This amazing website is overwhelming with information! I have a few simple things Im looking for and I hope someone can point me in the right direction.

In order of importance:

1. Uses a single CR123 battery
2. BRIGHT! Seriously. Bright. Spot more than flood.
3. wont melt or break (like my last light)
4. Under $150 ish

I had a really decent 'amilite' a few years ago BUT I had it on for about an hour and for some reason that messed up the switch. Now it wont turn on or stay on reliably.

Battery life is of no importance. I dont care if it uses up a single CR123 in 20 minutes. Really.

What should I buy? There are so many custom lights out there that look really good! Should I get a fenix? nitecore? Im lost!!
It sounds like you seriously need one SureFire E1B Backup.

MikeGoob

Newly Enlightened
But so many lights look like they rated brighter than the Surefire in that review link. Im kind of narrowing it down to the Nitecore Extreme and Jetbeam. Again Im mostly concerned with 'max output' setting.

If Im reading the charts right, the nitecore extreme does look like one of the brightest.

He says in the summary that the Jetbeam is brightest but so maybe Im reading it wrong. Gah so confusing! Sorry guys--I do appreciate your input and patience!

Toaster

Enlightened
The Jet-II IBS is the king of throw and output in the 1xCR123 class. Runtimes are pretty dismal, but it's a real barn burner :thumbsup:

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The other lights are probably brighter then the Surefire even if they use different rating systems.

The Surefire does have one main thing that the other's don't, a good optic. It has less output but more percentage of that output is in the hotspot which is also narrower then most from what I hear so it can probably throw further then most single CR123 lights.

IIRC the 225 lumen from the Jetbeam is with a RCR123 which is 3.7v vs the 3v or a CR123. The higher voltage makes the light go into direct drive and makes it brighter.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
But so many lights look like they rated brighter than the Surefire in that review link. Im kind of narrowing it down to the Nitecore Extreme and Jetbeam. Again Im mostly concerned with 'max output' setting.

If Im reading the charts right, the nitecore extreme does look like one of the brightest.

He says in the summary that the Jetbeam is brightest but so maybe Im reading it wrong. Gah so confusing! Sorry guys--I do appreciate your input and patience!

You're obvioulsy new to this hobby so your mind is stuck with manufacturer claimed numbers. We all been there too. Theoretical numbers don't always translate into real world performance, especially considering the fact not all manufacturers are honest or measure their lights using the same scales and methods. You'll quickly learn this though...

MikeGoob

Newly Enlightened
I got a LOT of non rechargeable CR123s a little while ago, so Im probably going to be using those instead of the rechargeables for the forseeable future.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a LOT of non rechargeable CR123s a little while ago, so Im probably going to be using those instead of the rechargeables for the forseeable future.

start with a romisen rc-c3 for $15.00. very bright, very small.

that leaves you with $120 (or less depending where you buy it) for a novatac 120 :thumbsup:

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
You could possibly find someone to mod a light to a Cree MC-E or SSC P7 LED. It wouldn't have much runtime, but it would be about as bright as you can get.

I'll recommend the Nitecore EX10.
The Surefire E1B is pretty nice though too, my brother keeps one in his toolbox, and it takes one heck of a beating, and just keeps going. :D

deranged_coder

Enlightened
IIRC the 225 lumen from the Jetbeam is with a RCR123 which is 3.7v vs the 3v or a CR123. The higher voltage makes the light go into direct drive and makes it brighter.

Nope, according to JetBeam's website the 225 lumen for Jet-II I.B.S. is for both primary and lithium rechargables:

Output & Runtime:
CR123 Battery
Max Output: 225 Lumen, lasting for 40 min
High Output (Default Mode A): 180 Lumen, lasting for 55 min
Low Output (Default Mode B): 20 Lumen, lasting for 9 hours
Min Output: 2 Lumen, lasting for 60 hours

Rechargeable Lithium Battery
Max Output: 225 Lumen, lasting for half an hour
Defaut Mode A Output: 180 Lumen, lasting for 45 min
Defaut Mode B Output: 20 Lumen, lasting for 7 hours

I think as far as a 1xCR123 light goes, the Jet-II I.B.S. is your best bet for a seriously bright light with more spot that flood. A nice plus to that is the I.B.S. system which allows you to easily customize it to the light level that you want. :thumbsup:

gchronis

Newly Enlightened
Dereelight C2H

And buy from FlashCrazy. Same price as from Hong Kong, free shipping, excellent service and in your hands in a couple of days. Use the rest of the funds for a charger (WF-139) and a couple of AW's batteries (either IMR or protected RCR123).

MikeGoob

Newly Enlightened
hmm Im beginning to wonder if there is any clear choice besides just buying one at a time till I can eventually compare them all on my own lol