"Old painless" LED Searchlight. BEAMSHOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
While the prototypes of the hellmeet are being made I started to think about one of my oldest ideas...

A LED searchlight has been one of my goals for a long time.

Now we have the lm/watt for high outputs, and the focusing capability we needed for that, so I decided to move forward to make a 21-35 Watt HID Killer.

In fact we are making now two prototypes. One is a 7 LED and the other one a 12 LED, so they will be on the 24-40 Watt range and that is the real consumption of 21 and 35 Watt HIDs. (efficiency of ballasts)

A 21 Watt (24 watt) HID puts out 1300-1500 lm. Not a problem for an array of seven BIN selected LEDs. A 35 (40) Watt HID does give 3200 lm, and that would be hard to get for an array of 12 LEDs (they should be on the 2700 mark), but even getting 15% less light on the emiitter, there are advantages to make it.

- Higher reliability.
- Instant switch on.
- More compact design (Drivers are way smaller than ballasts).

The first one we are maiking is a seven LED head, 90 mm OD, and the next one will be a 120 m one. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

The idea is to power them with 4 x 18650 battery packs. 90 minutes and 45 minutes, which should made a real compact seRchlight.

As always, opinions are welcome.

By the way, the name "old painless" come from PREDATOR movie.

m_6c4b38140f9b18bf70d63a389eae3439.gif

Last edited:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: "Old painless" LED Searchlight.

oldpianlessjm1.jpg

Not finished, but wanted to see size and weight. It will have one more LED centered, so total is seven LEDs, fitted with aspherics. As usual it will be IP68 ratted.

Javier

FlashInThePan

Enlightened

Looks great! I'm definitely looking forward to see how this one turns out; an LED searchlight would be a great addition to the arsenal.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

This should be interesting!

What emitters and optics are you using?

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

CREE R2 emiitters and 22,9 mm aspherics.

As long as you have some interesting "toys" would you mind to perform a little test? I can ship one of them to you.

Javier

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

CREE R2 emiitters and 22,9 mm aspherics.

As long as you have some interesting "toys" would you mind to perform a little test? I can ship one of them to you.

Javier

If your comment is aimed at me, that would be awesome!

Some comparison beamshots between "Old Painless" and the Hellfighter would be interesting:wave:

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

If your comment is aimed at me, that would be awesome!

Some comparison beamshots between "Old Painless" and the Hellfighter would be interesting:wave:

Yes, was aimed to you. Thank you very much for your offer.

In fact a comparison vs. a Hellfighter won't be fair beause this little thing will be dissipating just 23 Watts on the emitters, but... I'm sure we could have a surprise regarding throw. Anyway, the 12 LED version (115 mm head) is on its way (That one will be the real competitor of 35 Watt HIDs).

Javier

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

Yes, was aimed to you. Thank you very much for your offer.

In fact a comparison vs. a Hellfighter won't be fair beause this little thing will be dissipating just 23 Watts on the emitters, but... I'm sure we could have a surprise regarding throw. Anyway, the 12 LED version (115 mm head) is on its way (That one will be the real competitor of 35 Watt HIDs).

Javier

Awesome!!

Please keep me posted..:thumbsup:

I have MANY other lights to do comparison heamshots with...

(Subscribed..:popcorn:)

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast

Wow that's quite a project. Yet one more thread to drool at. :D
HIDs are a tough target to take down, especially in the throw department.

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

More information and pictures.

img9676lq1.jpg

Machining is finished. This picture shows the "Old Painless" head next to a U-04. Weight is 439 gr. The goal is less than 1 Kg. including batt pack for 90 minutes on something designed to beat any 21-24 Watt HID.

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

img9677zv2.jpg

Another one next to a very well known US Made flashlight. By the way, one of my all times favorites.

Javier

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast

OH MAN! This is gonna be cool!!

Look at that monster!

Nice work!
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

I was really interested in testing this.. as long as is raining and snowing, I'm afraid there won't be outdoor pictures for a couple of days at least, but meanwhile you will find this very interesting.

The contenders. A 24-26 Watt HID, smooth 65 mm reflector and our 24 Watt LED 95 mm "Old painless".

cont20090126img3607py6.jpg

And here the beamshots:

bymcompla5.jpg

And the results.

HID is 13.000 lux, "Old painless".is 11.140 lux. HID spot (highest reading) diameter is 70 mm and "Old painless". is 220 mm. HID has a brighter corona, and wider. LED has very little spill., but enough to navigate.

I'm sure we got it. This is at least as powerful as a 24 Watt HID and a serious contender on SAR duties.

Any interest on a regular production product?

Regards,

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
comppm1.jpg

The lower picture is the control one. The old roof (1950's) is 45 meters away. F 5.0 ISO100 1,6"

"Old painless" is running at 50% output. The spot circle is 3 m. diameter aproximately.

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast
qefrgmg9700yn6.jpg

OK, one more picture. There is a lot to be done to say that this is finished, but by now it has allowed me to test the configuration.

Javier

Barbarin

Flashlight Enthusiast

From what distance did you take the measurement?

150 cm. I think it is too low and we made a mistake while measuring this, but I didn't take too much care about this because I was more interested on the relative brightness.

Javier

Status
Not open for further replies.