Maxpedition - Active Shooter Bag 4
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flashlights Prohibited?

Default Flashlights Prohibited?

Hi All,

I know that somewhere in CPF, I heard mention that someone attended a professional sports event (NBA, I think) where flashlights were specifically prohibited. Also (in that same thread, I believe) I read that a courthouse or some other government function had done the same. I cannot think of a more perfect example of "wanting to leave someone in the dark". How could any sane adult have the nerve to prohibit something so extremely useful and potentially life saving in an emergency situation? It is so ridiculous that I wish I could say that I don't believe it, but I surely do believe that something like this is possible.
    Anyway, before I rant too much, can anyone confirm that there are places within the USA that prohibit flashlights?
    I wasn't shooting at you, I was shooting with you.

Default Re: Flashlights Prohibited?

Haven't heard specifically of flashlight bans at sporting events or courts, but laser pointers are commonly banned in both areas. All it took was one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us. I'm sure one miscreant (mis)used one at both places and thus the ban. You can't fix stupid...

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by corrections operator View Post
    Haven't heard specifically of flashlight bans at sporting events or courts, but laser pointers are commonly banned in both areas. All it took was one idiot to ruin it for the rest of us. I'm sure one miscreant (mis)used one at both places and thus the ban. You can't fix stupid...
    You can't fix it, but you can sure compound it.

Bob Rip

Flashaholic*

Bob Rip

Flashaholic*

Hmm, don't know about prohibitions, but IIRC, a number of years ago, The LED Museum (Craig) was hassled at a sports function because of the lights on his wheelchair/scooter. Something about one of the athletes complaining that the light(s) were distracting...or some such. My memory is extremely bad, so do not take my word for it--perhaps the thread is still floating around somewhere.
    Having a right and doing what's right is not always the same.

Here's a link to Baltimore Circuit Court: http://www.baltocts.state.md.us/flypage/Prohibited.htm

They don't specify size, brightness or length. The security morons could as easily ban a small elegant keychain light as a giant 6D Mag behemoth. It is appalling.

I am editing this to include another link to the Staples Center, http://staplescenter.com/doublecol.p...rohibiteditems (where sporting events, concerts, etc. are held). Scroll down and look under "Prohibited items". Here is a small excerpt: "...

The following is a partial list of items that are prohibited at all STAPLES Center events. Please visit the links below for specific policies/information.

• Weapons
    • Outside Food and Beverage
    • Cameras: no flash/professional photography
    • Recording Devices
    • Bags: Backpacks, Large Bags, Suitcases
    • Signs/Flags/Banners/Posters/Pamphlets
    • Tripods/ Monopods, Laser Pointers, Alcohol, Drugs, Noise Making Devices, Fireworks, Flashlights, Skateboards/ Rollerblades, Beach Balls, Cans or Bottles.
    • Laptop Computers "

(End quote, emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Jedi Knife; 01-23-2009 at 09:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jedi Knife View Post
    Here's a link to Baltimore Circuit Court: http://www.baltocts.state.md.us/flypage/Prohibited.htm

They don't specify size, brightness or length. The security morons could as easily ban a small elegant keychain light as a giant 6D Mag behemoth. It is appalling.

That is for jury duty, which is a different beast entirely. They are afraid of someone smuggling something in which a defendant could use for a weapon. They make guns and peperspray that looks like lights. You could smuggle in explosive devices, etc, or smuggle out photos or audio recordings.

That said, they would probably not give a second glance at something extremely small and innocuous such as a Fauxton. Only 47 cents if they do take it anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marduke View Post
    That is for jury duty, which is a different beast entirely. They are afraid of someone smuggling something in which a defendant could use for a weapon. They make guns and peperspray that looks like lights. You could smuggle in explosive devices, etc, or smuggle out photos or audio recordings.

That said, they would probably not give a second glance at something extremely small and innocuous such as a Fauxton. Only 47 cents if they do take it anyhow.
    I understand what you are saying, Marduke. But a lot of us here like to have nice little custom lights, like the Wee or Mako, which would still fall under the "prohibited" category. What do you think the chances are of getting one of these back after a day of jury duty if you check it at the front desk? Very slim, I guarantee, especially somewhere like Baltimore.

I went to jury duty this past summer with my Tiablo A1 don't know how i got in with it but i did. Also i think it was a baseball game that they had an issue with lights. I went to ozzfest 2-3 years back & when they frisked me they saw my SF G2 and batteries and the security guard pointed to the g2 on his belt and laughed, some place are different.
    Last edited by 276; 01-23-2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Surefire,Inova,4Sevens,Fenix,Olight,Malkoff, AEX25,Xeray50,Polarion Aybss Dual, AElight 30-50 watt,Wiseled tactical 2000,Peak, Lupine Wilma TL, .......

The following is a partial list of items that are prohibited at all STAPLES Center events. Please visit the links below for specific policies/information.

• Weapons
    • Recording Devices
    • Tripods/ Monopods, Laser Pointers, Alcohol, Drugs, Noise Making Devices, Fireworks, Flashlights, Skateboards/ Rollerblades, Beach Balls, Cans or Bottles.
    • Laptop Computers "

Precisely why I'll never attend another one. Paying big money to pitch your rights to the curb... No thanks.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by bobrip View Post

Bob Rip
    Quote Originally Posted by shuter View Post

Bob Rip

+500

Flashaholic

I've had it with the big venues. I'm near Cleveland, so I have plenty of opportunity to attend professional sporting events. Last time we went to a major league ballgame, the weather wasn't looking too good so we took an umbrella. Turns out that you can't take an umbrella into the park (which actually makes sense considering the people sitting behind you). They had large trash cans at the gates to collect the thousands of umbrellas. Of course, two innings into the game we got drenched and the game was eventually called. Most people didn't even attempt to find their umbrella or simply took someone else's. My wife wasn't leaving without hers because she brought the most expensive one we ever owned. That was a fun evening sifting through trash cans. We did find it.

Not to mention they act like a felony has been committed if you walk in with a bottled water or a few snacks. I suppose they don't want flashlights on the chance that some knucklehead will use it to disrupt the event. Isn't that what all those ushers are for?

Too often, most of us are punished for the actions of a few. Our only recourse is to take our business elsewhere.

Flashaholic*

There was a thread about a year back about someone shining a high powered light into the pitcher's eyes. Some people just need to start trouble, i've quit carrying my main edc into shows and games, but nobody looks twice at my keychain, right now, EO1, soon to be LD01, plenty of light, doubt anyone will notice it.
    List of flashlights that used to be here has been removed (by me) to save our search function. NOW USE IT.

Flashaholic

Rant Re: Flashlights Prohibited?

• Weapons
    • Recording Devices
    • Laptop Computers "
    Can you still wear clothes including a belt? Do you have to give away your watch, glasses, and shoe laces?

I usually avoid those places, because I don't want to comply with such rules. I don't want some under-paid security to explain why I can't bring a backpack, but the lady next to me her big purse, etc.
    ~ The one who owns the night makes the rules ~

Flashaholic

I've not seen this in Dallas. They did prohibit pocketknives in the New AA Center. At the old Reunion Arena, the house lighting included some pretty powerful xenon strobe lights mounted up high on the superstructure that simply pointed down and blinked randomly a few times per minute. They used to really bother me for some reason. I cannot imagine why they were there except to create atmosphere.

Flashaholic

I know firsthand that they don't allow flashlights inside of the Kartchner Caverns in AZ (guided tour only)! I'm sure there's a very good reason why, but it drives me crazy not being able to look in places that they didn't already have illuminated (which was a good bit of the cave). It's been a while since I've been in other guided cave tours but I'm guessing others probably have the same rules.

I am editing this to include another link to the Staples Center, http://staplescenter.com/doublecol.p...rohibiteditems (where sporting events, concerts, etc. are held). Scroll down and look under "Prohibited items". Here is a small excerpt: "...

• Weapons
    • Recording Devices
    • Laptop Computers "

With that list - they could confiscate cell phones.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Bomo

couldnt u just bring a dissabled flashlight?

someone can put an l0d in a chapstick case. then use a monocular to focus out a strobe beam

Well every time ive been to court my 6Pl has gone with me and theyve yet to say anything. Going into football games at my old highschool (and going to the state fair, kings dominion, and Busch Gardens) I used to put my pocketknife inside my wallet and hold my keys wallet etc all in one hand so when they took the wand to me all they saw was a handfull of junk lol. Never had any ill intentions I just didnt like my rights being taken away. They tried to stop us for wearing hats at football games on more than one occasion and that allways ended badly for them.

I've been to the Staples Center twice in the past year -- both times part of groups using my wife's employer's corporate suite. Both times I've dropped my Fenix into the basket at the security station, along with my Fisher Space Pen, money clip and other metal items in my pockets. No one said a word about the Fenix. As I recall, one of the screeners even picked up the Fenix and examined it once, then dropped it back into the basket for me to collect along with my other possessions. I did leave my Spyderco in the car -- I knew THAT wouldn't make it through screening. But I didn't even know that flashlights were prohibited until I saw the sign next to the door.

The no flashlight rule may be a rule that is not consistently enforced, or enforced more thoroughly when the party may appear to be troublemakers. Or maybe it was just that we were using the VIP entrance, since that's where the corporate suite patrons enter the facility.

I so strongly agree with the poster who indicated he doesn't go to sports venues because he objects to spending a large amount of money to have his rights taken away. I understand that one has no inherent legal right to enter private property, and that the property owner's rules apply and must be followed. But I feel that these rules are intrusive and growing more so every day.
    My lights: I've given up on keeping my light list updated!

Enlightened

I had a small camera held by security at a concert once, there were lots of flashes going off during the show, and at the end of it, mine appeared to be the only one waiting to be picked up at the desk.

Another event a few years ago, would allow drinks and snacks, but only in plastic, no glass, fair enough.

Now, banning lights in caves,,come on!

Quote Originally Posted by gsegelk View Post
    I know firsthand that they don't allow flashlights inside of the Kartchner Caverns in AZ (guided tour only)! I'm sure there's a very good reason why, but it drives me crazy not being able to look in places that they didn't already have illuminated (which was a good bit of the cave). It's been a while since I've been in other guided cave tours but I'm guessing others probably have the same rules.
    I've been on a few cave tours (including Mammoth Cave in Kentucky) and I've never heard of such a rule.
    Andrew

Flashaholic*

Good grief, I hope this isn't true. I have gone to various venues such as ACC / Roger's Centre / BMO Field in Toronto with my NiteCore EX10 / D10 on a holster, SS C3 in pocket, even a SF 6P / CL1H in my courier bag and I've never had an issues. I think it depends on the size and type of light ie. anything with crenalated bezel may look like a weapon and a cause for concern. Also, I find that when I carry my courier bag, they tend to do the once-over more often but they have yet to confiscate or ban my lights.

If anything, the number of camera flashes that go off during the game would seem to me to be more distracting but, I suppose they try to err on side of caution... I guess if you have a big light, they may wonder why you would need that. So, I would probably just as well leave any HID or 6D maglites at home...

Seriously, if they ever banned me from carrying a NC EX10 or such, at an indoor event / game, then that would be as ridiculous as banning nail clippers on an airplane.
    Looking for: jhanko 'biohazard' V10R Ti clip, Luce de Notte (SS / Ti), SF Z2 (body, complete light, bored, unbored). Pls PM me with an offer.

It certainly is ridiculous, and could prevent critical assistance in emergencies. The worst thing is that they put a blanket ban on all flashlights, not just ones of a particular size, design, etc. I don't like carrying a nice light on the pretense that it should be OK with the rules.

Flashaholic

Yeah, I was surprised also about the restriction on lights in the Kartchner Caverns in AZ. In the case of the tour in this particular cavern system, it went like this: 1. They led us into a completely dark cavern (the path was dimly lit) and we all lined up along a rail. 2. They started talking about a formation and briefly turned on only the lights that illuminated it and then turned the lights off to talk about another formation. 3. Step #2 was repeated for each formation. 4. We left that cavern (with the lights completely off) and moved through a tunnel/cave to another cavern.

About halfway through we were on the way to another cavern and I turned on my Nitecore EX10 for about 2 secs to catch one more glimpse of a formation. Man the tour guides got !! I felt like a kid who had just got caught stealing candy from a store !!

After typing all this, I finally remember why they got so upset about it and it wasn't due to lighting the cave. It is one of the few 'living' caves in the world and they are EXTREMELY particular in preserving the cave (of course). B/c of this, they go to all extremes to make sure it stays this way, including going through a series of airtight chambers in order to enter (to minimize changing the humidity levels) and going through a mist system to minimize any lent staying behind in the cave. They also made it clear that we should not have anything that could potentially be left in the cave (gum, paper, etc). So their disdain for flashlights is that they could potentially be dropped in one of the caverns. Now that I remember the reason I'm embarrassed to say that I was 'that guy'. I did make sure I had the lanyard firmly around my wrist but that by no means justifies it

Anyway, just wanted to follow up on this. Here's a link to the state park web page saying what is and isn't allowed: link

When you walk into a court you get searched. Why would you care with the cops in there.

In a sporting even.. Just put your EDC in your pocket. They aren't going to know.

Now I can just imagine some of us writing down this excuse for not being able to do jury duty: I cannot perform the civil service of jury duty as I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder and therefore cannot travel anywhere I am banned from carrying a flashlight on me at all times.

I can remember a few cases where flashlights were used to dsitract professional athletes. It's to big a risk to take you can't tell who's a normal person and who likes ruining things.
    Hobbyist LED information Website
    U2 work light
    Shaky Emergency Light
    The Mags
    engineer in the making

I remember last year when I went to the Wax Museum in Vegas, I was on point leading a few people through the haunted section. It was dark and the logical path lead to a dead end. If memory serves, the entrance to the next section were blocked off with a curtain or something. I turned on my LF5XT on low to get my bearing and got yelled at by one of the actors.

I swear, I was inches away from pounding his head in.

Lets just say this his boss got an ear full.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked on Fenix View Post
    Now I can just imagine some of us writing down this excuse for not being able to do jury duty: I cannot perform the civil service of jury duty as I suffer from obsessive compulsive disorder and therefore cannot travel anywhere I am banned from carrying a flashlight on me at all times.
    I am sure that many here would be able to get a letter from a psychiatrist to back up their claim.
    So many lights, so little money (cause I spent it on lights). I'm not afraid of the dark, the dark is afraid of ME!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast