Battery Junction - Olight
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Unenlightened

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Quote Originally Posted by willrx View Post
    Certainly the shiniest in my collection. Heavy too-6.5 oz with no batteries. 24K Gold Plated Mini-Mag (brass underneath).

I got also one of this gold plated 24k mini maglite,but i don't have any paper for it and you can't really good read the inscription on the head.
    On this link are some picture of it.
    I had found this Maglite last month in a little store,so i don't know how old it is..
    The Inscription on the head is:Maglite- Mfg by mag instrument,so i think it is from 1990 or earlier.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/45380937@N04/?saved=1
    Last edited by Flash-lite; 12-08-2009 at 09:27 AM.

Hey all,

Just wandering if this qualifies? I recently purchase a new Rebel Magled. I opened the light (now I wish I hadent) and upon futher inspection I noticed that there was somthing missing..

The serial numbers... Not sure how rare this is though maybe I could get some feed back here?
    Last edited by vestureofblood; 01-06-2010 at 06:47 PM.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

That's cool! I wonder how many of them escaped stamping?

Flashaholic*

Interesting. I wonder if they've stopped numbering them all together?
    Old-Style Maglite C & D switches for sale:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=165903

Flashaholic

where did you buy Mag, would like to check them out ?

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    That's cool! I wonder how many of them escaped stamping?
    That's why I decided to post here, I wish I would have realized this sooner so I could have checked for more.

No they did not stop all together, I thought that may be the case, but I have since seen several of the new version with numbers, and so far no others without.

Quote Originally Posted by merrimac View Post
    where did you buy Mag, would like to check them out ?
    I picked this up at Loews on black Friday.
    In Him (Jesus Christ) was life; and the life was the light of men. And the light shineth in darkness; and the darkness comprehended it not.
    Shorty C/D M*glites

I doubt they stopped numbering, looks like QA failed in your case...

Updated "Americana" collection w/ completed Inaugural set.

Trees don't grow on money either.

Flashaholic

It just doesn't get any better than that, home run SOUP

Flashaholic*

Home run indeed. I must have that Marines soli.
    Old-Style Maglite C & D switches for sale:
    http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=165903

WOW! Cool collection!

How does one get their hands on "inaugural" Mags?

Thanks, guys. I am really excited about "completing" this little set. It took me close to 4 years!!

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    How does one get their hands on "inaugural" Mags?
    There have been 3 special edition Maglites produced for and given away at Presidential inaugurations. The first was the black 2xAAA from 1989 which was originally intended to symbolize the "thousand points of light" that George Bush made famous in the campaign. When President Bush 43 was inaugurated, they made the red (2001) and blue (2005) as commemoratives and gave 40,000 of each away to attendees. As Mag founder Anthony Maglica is a rabid Republican, it is likely that if any future inaugural lights are to be made, they will only be made for a Republican, which is why there are no lights for the Clinton or Obama inaugurals. I may have been the only person in the world hoping McCain would win just so I could get a flashlight.

As for how you get them, Ebay is where I got my blue 2005 and I have seen the red 2001 there as well, although I got my 2001 from a Presidential memorabilia website. They typically run between $75 and $200 (there is a lot of variance in asking prices on Maglites).

As far as the 1989 light goes, from my experience, it is EXTREMELY rare. This is the only 1989 inaugural light I have ever seen. In fact, after 3 years of VERY active searching, I couldn't even find a photo of one so I'd even know what I was looking for! The only reference I could find to it existing in the first place was in the corporate timeline on the Mag website, which only states they were made. I didn't even know what color they were! Fortunately, I got crazy lucky when another CPFer received this light as a gift from a relative who was one of the original recipients at the inaugural and posted it in the MiniMag Collections thread (one of THE BEST threads on CPF if you haven't seen it yet ). I offered what I thought was a pretty generous trade, and the rest is history.

That 1989 inaugural is the centerpiece of my Maglite collection. It is my most special and favorite Maglite out of close to 200 ( ), and is one of 2 or 3 favorite lights in my whole collection (it's kinda hard to top LunaSoup).

Thanks for the background for some very cool lights!

I'd definitely hang on to that collection with a death grip!

Flashaholic*

It isn't possible to still buy the 5C and 6C Maglites, is it?

Those 7C Maglites are pretty awesome too! I'm definitely envious of some of these collections...

Raoul_Duke, what are those 5 Emoli cells running? I'd love to make a Mag C hotwire, much nicer form factor than the Mag D lights, IMO.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by J3004 View Post
    Oh no.. I became ill. The flashaholic-virus

Beautiful!! Where did you get them? And when

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Hack On Wheels View Post
    It isn't possible to still buy the 5C and 6C Maglites, is it?
    If you can find them. I walked ito a hardware store last year and saw one so bought it. I think there are still some in some shops hiding out somwhere.

Try posting a WTB add in the market place, and keep looking daily and you may find one. I just seemed to get lucky, I've only had them 2 or so years. there were quite a few 6C's a while back and the odd 5...the 7's are not so common.

Those 7C Maglites are pretty awesome too!
    They are a nice form factor, I went nuts for them a few years back

Raoul_Duke, what are those 5 Emoli cells running? I'd love to make a Mag C hotwire, much nicer form factor than the Mag D lights, IMO.
    At the minute they have a long term storage charge on them, as they have been hibernating, while I sort out other bits and bobs, But I need to get some of my big lights out again, but I have run all kinds of stuff throught it, hotwire stuff, Osram lamps, it usually has the 64458 in there, but has stuff like the IRC 50W 64440...anything that can take above 21V

I also have the 6'cs with 4 emoli in them, and they run all sorts also...64623's 64633's etc, never did get round to mod my 4 or 5 C

That is the style of light I keep in my bedroom and car...long, so I can fit lots of cells into it and make it bright. not teribly long running, but 15 minutes on the 458 is more than I need. I have longer running lights that dont set things alight for general flashligh duty.
    Last edited by Raoul_Duke; 01-13-2010 at 03:34 AM.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Raoul_Duke View Post
    If you can find them. I walked ito a hardware store last year and saw one so bought it. I think there are still some in some shops hiding out somwhere.

Try posting a WTB add in the market place, and keep looking daily and you may find one. I just seemed to get lucky, I've only had them 2 or so years. there were quite a few 6C's a while back and the odd 5...the 7's are not so common.
    Thanks, I just posted a WTB ad in the Marketplace. Hopefully that gets some responses. Well, if you ever want to part with some of yours, or if you happen to find any more hiding out... please let me know!

They are a nice form factor, I went nuts for them a few years back
    Yup, I like the slimmer profile over the larger D cell lights.

At the minute they have a long term storage charge on them, as they have been hibernating, while I sort out other bits and bobs, But I need to get some of my big lights out again, but I have run all kinds of stuff throught it, hotwire stuff, Osram lamps, it usually has the 64458 in there, but has stuff like the IRC 50W 64440...anything that can take above 21V

I also have the 6'cs with 4 emoli in them, and they run all sorts also...64623's 64633's etc, never did get round to mod my 4 or 5 C

That is the style of light I keep in my bedroom and car...long, so I can fit lots of cells into it and make it bright. not teribly long running, but 15 minutes on the 458 is more than I need. I have longer running lights that dont set things alight for general flashligh duty.
    Neat, sounds like they get some solid, varied use. Have you run any of them in hotwire setups pushing 10+ amps? I'd be interested to know how the switch(es) hold up in the C cell Mags.

Thanks for the reply; hopefully in the future I'll have some contributions of my own for this thread.

here are some of my Mag C collection:

2 x purple 2C's - one newer and one older style
    2 x silver 2C's - both older style
    4 x black 6C's - one older and 3 newer style, with one of them modded with a P7
    4C mag triple P7, WOF, 6C with 5X Cree Q5 WC, FM 8x14670 with 6x SSC P4 U2SWOI, FM Purple HAIII 1.25D Mag with 7x Cree R2 WG, P7 Mini Mag with BHC head, P7 1C Mag shorty with tail switch, 5x Q5 WC 1D shorty with tail switch.

Flashaholic*

Thanks, I just posted a WTB ad in the Marketplace. Hopefully that gets some responses. Well, if you ever want to part with some of yours, or if you happen to find any more hiding out... please let me know!
    Good luck with your hunt...You want the older, no C in the serial no if you plan to get 26 diam cells in there, as the older they go the wider internally, you'd have to bore a C cerial no'd 6C to fit some cells in...my 7C's are the widest inside. the C seraild no'd ones are modable though.
    I will let you know if/ when I sell one of the 6C's, I was thinking of putting up a 623 this year when I get my act together...going snowboarding soon, so maybee later in to 2010.

Yup, I like the slimmer profile over the larger D cell lights.
    Yep, I have a 6D with 6 A123 cells in it,which is a great fast charging hotwire with alot of clout and a bunch of other D hotwires, but the longer the host, I prefer the C's, as they are a touch more managable, but TBH a longer D Mag is still definatly worth having, and more easily modable with more choices of parts.

Neat, sounds like they get some solid, varied use. Have you run any of them in hotwire setups pushing 10+ amps? I'd be interested to know how the switch(es) hold up in the C cell Mags.

I use Kiu sockets in the standard C switches. I have only realy used one switch set up full time, and moved it through all the main user lights as I change around the setups.
    10A at +16V to +20 odd volts does eventually damage the switch, I'm sure there is some resistance in there holding back a few lumens, but when they are this bright its not something I worry about. I have loads of spare parts so can change the internals as the arking on a V-well used switch does eventually damage it, you can see discolouration and micro pitting on the switch ring, and the contacts to the ring get damaged, I do take the switch apart sometimes and clean the contacts, but the mag switch ring is good as it doesnt always hit the same spot when switching.
    I have only gone through one or so set of internals on the switch...maybee two and never had one fail.
    After a year or so's use, regulary swapped about into alot of different hosts the Kiu'd C switch made a high pitch whine sometimes when I turned it on, but a quick light tap stopped that. If you were worried about the switch you could save it some damage by unscrewing the tail, actuating the switch then tightening the tail, as its the switching/ arcing that hurts it. I dont concider this to be a huge issue.
    There is a few tricks you could try also to upgrade the stock switch for more longevity, or build a simple high current switch/ mosfet if you realy desired. I never realy felt the need to.

Pretty much all my hotwires pull at least 10A. ( I have lower wattage lamps, but why waste high current capable cells when 10A is not even a big deal for them. Why worry about runtime...I just carry spare cells, and store them in other equally capable hotwire hosts, just incase I need more runtime.

The 64623 in the 6C and the 64458 in the 7C, both pull 10A. Thats why I got the Emoli when they were quite new here at CPF as wanted cells that could easily handle 10A+ which they do nicely, and I wanted them in my C Mags. In fact when I run some larger lamps in them, they can pull 12A easy.

Thanks for the reply; hopefully in the future I'll have some contributions of my own for this thread.
    I will keep an eye out for you, and let you know if/ when I intend to put a sale thread up!

So are there any other Rare Mags out there
    Last edited by Raoul_Duke; 01-13-2010 at 09:02 PM.

I received a 2D Rebel Mag over the Christmas holidays that has a DL2 serial number on it.

The 2D I got at Lowes BF sale has a serial on it. I'm tempted to go there and see if I can find one with no number.

I'm pretty sure the serial number is here to stay...unless QC isn't doing its job, that would likely be a fruitless mission.

I have gone back to the same store since to look as well (a long shot I know) but so far every were I have gone including Lowes has had a D and the numbers. I may attempt to contact Mag and see if they are aware of this happening.

Assuming very few or no others are found, does anyone have an idea on how I could place a value on this light?
    Shorty C/D M*glites

I suppose that none of my mags are rare, but thanks to this thread I've learned a little bit. One of mine is a pre-1990.. thats pretty cool.

I am still waiting to see someone post a pic of every production color of c/d Mag all in a rainbow row. I'm sure it's coming... Someone must have them all?

Flashaholic*

Interesting thread. You inspired me to check my old 6D - it's # 41249772. I'll have to give the company a shout. IIRC, I bought it in 1988 or 1989.
    MD3 | M6CB | Gladius/SSCP4 | A2-HA-WH | A2-HA-YG | A2-BK-WH | Z3/KT2 | M2 | C2 | 6Z | 6P | U2A | K2MS | E2e/KL4 BK | E2DL | E2D | E2L | L2 | Milky ML1/SSCP4 USWOH McR18j | L1-BK-RD | L1-HA-WH | L1-HA-WH Cree | L1-HA-RD | 3P | E1B | E1L | E1E-HA-BK | E1W | 618FA | G2

Quote Originally Posted by JNewell View Post
    Interesting thread. You inspired me to check my old 6D - it's # 41249772. I'll have to give the company a shout. IIRC, I bought it in 1988 or 1989.
    They're pretty good about it, IRC my 2C was made in 1981 according to the email they sent me.

Resently i had a close shave with my 6 C Mag
    Had it for as long as i can remember but never really used it (that was before i became a flashaholic )
    Installed a 3xXPE head and sold it to a friend for $150, discovered that they are by now coated with unobtanium. Damn!!!

He loved it so over 6 months i begged and haggeled for no avail.
    I cheated sorry traded another sod and had 2 AK47 bayonets for free.
    So a Mag and 2 ugly russian war knifes switched hands and i now have my old trusty Mag 6 C again. By now it's restored to original and runs a ROP low by alkis.

PS how do you check the serial at Mag's?

PPS I recieved a 3 D with leaked alkis in it, stripped it down and bored out the cells. Washed with citric acid and reanoed it red. Inspired by another board member covering AA's with wood, i took a plunge.
    So heres my bastard 3 D Mag homeanoed and with a layer of timber to signal high class like cars

Sorry for hijacking the thread!

Dont go spoiling a perfectly good thread with too many facts.
    Henrik
    Creator of The Axe and the BigM*g and i'm sure more silly projects will follow

Quote Originally Posted by The Dane View Post

Inspired by another board member covering AA's with wood, i took a plunge.
    So heres my bastard 3 D Mag homeanoed and with a layer of timber to signal high class like cars
    Nice job with the wood covering - I stayed away from the larger lights like the Cs and Ds.
    Now I can see the darkness .

Quote Originally Posted by souptree View Post
    Thanks, guys. I am really excited about "completing" this little set. It took me close to 4 years!!

There have been 3 special edition Maglites produced for and given away at Presidential inaugurations. The first was the black 2xAAA from 1989 which was originally intended to symbolize the "thousand points of light" that George Bush made famous in the campaign. When President Bush 43 was inaugurated, they made the red (2001) and blue (2005) as commemoratives and gave 40,000 of each away to attendees. As Mag founder Anthony Maglica is a rabid Republican, it is likely that if any future inaugural lights are to be made, they will only be made for a Republican, which is why there are no lights for the Clinton or Obama inaugurals. I may have been the only person in the world hoping McCain would win just so I could get a flashlight.

As for how you get them, Ebay is where I got my blue 2005 and I have seen the red 2001 there as well, although I got my 2001 from a Presidential memorabilia website. They typically run between $75 and $200 (there is a lot of variance in asking prices on Maglites).

As far as the 1989 light goes, from my experience, it is EXTREMELY rare. This is the only 1989 inaugural light I have ever seen. In fact, after 3 years of VERY active searching, I couldn't even find a photo of one so I'd even know what I was looking for! The only reference I could find to it existing in the first place was in the corporate timeline on the Mag website, which only states they were made. I didn't even know what color they were! Fortunately, I got crazy lucky when another CPFer received this light as a gift from a relative who was one of the original recipients at the inaugural and posted it in the MiniMag Collections thread (one of THE BEST threads on CPF if you haven't seen it yet ). I offered what I thought was a pretty generous trade, and the rest is history.

That 1989 inaugural is the centerpiece of my Maglite collection. It is my most special and favorite Maglite out of close to 200 ( ), and is one of 2 or 3 favorite lights in my whole collection (it's kinda hard to top LunaSoup).

President Bush 41 visited the Ontario, CA Maglight factory in, I think 1992. I was one of the pool photographers covering the president that day, and if I remember, he was presented with one of the 14k gold lights when he gave his speech by the owner of Mag Insturments.

In my archives, I still have the photos...but they are stored away with everything I shot in the film era.

The blue lights marked "George Bush" may have been from a dinner on that trip, as table favor gift for a campaign fundraising dinner. That is all I remember from the that trip.

If I still have my field notes and trip book from the trip, I will add to this post.
    Last edited by RedLed; 02-01-2010 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RedLed View Post
    President Bush 41 visited the Ontario, CA Maglight factory in, I think 1992. I was one of the pool photographers covering the president that day, and if I remember, he was presented with one of the 14k gold lights when he gave his speech by the owner of Mag Insturments.

In my archives, I still have the photos...but they are stored away with everything I shot in the film era.

The blue lights marked "George Bush" may have been from a dinner on that trip, as table favor gift for a campaign fundraising dinner. That is all I remember from the that trip.

If I still have my field notes and trip book from the trip, I will add to this post.
    Very interesting! Definitely looking forward to any other info you can contribute.

Yes, the blue light marked "GEORGE BUSH" is a souvenir from a dinner 41 keynoted at Mag. Were you at the dinner? Did you receive one of these lights? So far, this is the only example of one I have ever seen or tracked down.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast