Fenix Outfitters        
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

All right, Friday night and I'm bored (man, getting old sucks) so I decided to add another chapter to my novel. I think I've posted most of my collection now but I still have a couple more lights left. Starting in 1990 when Maglite changed the grip size and went to a laser etched bezel on the D cells they also started doing custom laser engraving on a per order basis. There are tons and tons of custom orders that were intended as giveaways and promotional items and it's almost impossible to collect them all. The laser engraving is much rarer on the C and D cells than on the Mini Mags and Solitaires. The reason being was that Mag had minimum order numbers on laser engraved lights, usually around 100 or so. The D and C cells were much more expensive and as such not many companies wanted to shell out that much money for giveaways and promotional items.

I love professional lights, especially ones with a good story behind them. This D cell was done as part of a large batch for Chevron intended to be used by maintenance workers at their refineries. As stated on the barrel and to deter theft it was labelled as the property of Chevron and was used in their El Segundo refinery just south of LAX. I worked in petroleum for a long time and I often used my own 3D Incan (now Malkoff'd) Maglite when swinging valves, walking the right-of-way, and making batch cuts into the wee hours of the morning. I collected a lot of petroleum items during my time in that field so this goes well with that collection and my Maglite collection. The original owner was a longtime refinery employee that took the then outdated light with him when he retired. Not having much of a use for it in recent years he sold it.

It's a 4,000,000 serial 3D and a "transitional" model, one with a reduced grip sized and laser etched bezel but still with the bigger barrel and non-letter serial. These models were produced only in 1990 and 1991. It is likely one of Mag's first batches of custom laser etched orders seeing at how close Chevron is to their factory.

It is also interesting to note that Chevron has a long storied history as well. Just like the company I worked for they are a spin off of the Standard Oil Company headed up by John D. Rockefeller and were once known as Standard Oil of California before companies in the US were banned from using the Standard name. There are many other former Standards like Exxon (Standard Oil of New Jersey), Mobil (Standard Oil of New York), and the old Amoco (Standard Oil of Indiana). I'm really interested in the history of different companies so I thought this might be of some interest to others out there too.

The other custom laser etched C cell lights I've frequently seen are the ever popular Chevy Trucks C cells which were supplied with a tool kit on Chevy Suburbans and Tahoes. I've also seen several D and C models done for railroads too. If you have an interesting laser etched C or D cell I'd love to see it because I don't know of many.
    Last edited by LiftdT4R; 07-04-2017 at 03:54 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Always looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags especially a 7D. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

I saw a Dale Jarrett one at the closing seconds of an auction tonight. 3D cell number with zero bids.

All of my promos appear to be silk screened. Either that or the etching isn't into the surface as far as the Mag logo is. Even my Fluke Meters 3D LED one.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 08-03-2017 at 03:26 PM.
    John 3:16
    "Girls from Montana are good dancers" -PK

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    I saw a Dale Jarrett one at the closing seconds of an auction tonight. 3D cell number with zero bids.

All of my promos appear to be silk screened. Either that or the etching isn't into the surface as far as the Mag logo is. Even my Fluke Meters 3D LED one.
    I like those Fluke's too!! I think they are laser etched. If Mag did it, and since it is in the package I would think that's the case, it's probably laser etched. The laser etching looks almost identical to screen printing except the logo won't be raised as much because it's burned into the aluminum instead of adding a layer of paint. If the logo looks identical to the bezel then it's laser etched.

It's possible Mag went to screen printing on the newer lights. It's far less durable than laser etching though.
    ~~~~~~~~
    Always looking to buy Vari-Beams and Vintage/Rare Mags especially a 7D. Please let me know if you have any, top dollar paid.

That Chevron light is way cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Toohotruk View Post
    That Chevron light is way cool!
    Thanks!! People at work and outdoors always tell me: Hey, a Maglite?! That looks like a cop light! And really cops haven't carried Mag's in years and even when they did they weren't that popular. Maglites are more so used in industry and just about everywhere else but not so much in law enforcement.
    ~~~~~~~~

^^ I was watching a "happy birthday America" type movie last night that was done about the time Clinton was president. At one point "the President" and his wife had decided to go out for ice cream... alone. They got pulled by a policeman who shined a (what appeared to be a 4D sized) Maglite in the presidents face.
    So Hollyweird at that time still considered Maglites as cop lights it seems. (We all know the officer would have likely had a Magcharger or SL 20)

Anyway, this morning around sunrise I began a quest for an older C sized Maglite. Buy it Now... because I do not have ulta-fast internet nor last milli-second bidding software. Found a few interesting oldies. Knowing I'd likely not win them I kept looking for them. Oh there were several so-called rare numbers going for crazy prices.. crazy as in "are you outta your mind thinking you'll get $500 for that?"

I found (and bought) a conundrum of sorts. A panther bezel'd 3C without the C in the serial number.

No "C" in the serial number.
    Listed as a 1998 model.

Hard to see the panther in the seller pic but it's there.

I'll use the "deep" tail cap on my heavy duty 4C.

I don't suppose there was anything especially 'special' about this Ford Quality Care promo, but I liked the interesting serial number vs bezel. Besides I didn't have a 3C in my Mag collection before.

Edit: Member Lift'd pointed out that Mag started placing "C" on those in or about 2003 and panthers in or about 1992. No conundrum here. But being a Ford Quality Care promo at least puts it into the "limited edition" mode.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-05-2017 at 03:47 PM.

2003 was the changeover to letter serials and they also moved the o-ring from the head to the barrel.

That's a nice light! Especially if it's laser etched because it was done by Mag. Ya just don't see many C cells with finishes or with laser etched logos so it's a nice find!!

If ya see any super rare Mags send 'em my way! $500 doesn't scare me for the right model!!
    ~~~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    2003 was the changeover to letter serials and they also moved the o-ring from the head to the barrel.

That's a nice light! Especially if it's laser etched because it was done by Mag. Ya just don't see many C cells with finishes or with laser etched logos so it's a nice find!!

If ya see any super rare Mags send 'em my way! $500 doesn't scare me for the right model!!
    These aint those "right models" lol.

Sell pix were kinda fuzzy so I'll know whatz what in a few days etched-wise. But even if it were a plain ole black one it was a real nice price.

Edit: It's here! Yay!!

I'm supposing it was made in '98?

Looks real purdy with the others.

Slightly different shade of blue from todays production blue. I wasn't sure about that until it arrived.

Yes Lift'd it has a nice laser etching. Real nice.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 07-08-2017 at 06:05 PM.

Very nice variety of lights ya have there!!

I found a pretty interesting piece of Maglite history and a little bit of a mystery. This is a package insert from one of the very first Maglites produced in 1979. It's for a D cell as C cells didn't come about until 1981. What's so interesting is that on the parts diagram is there is a small and large head shown. These part numbers were only used for a very short time. Later numbers followed the 100-000-000 format. I've talked with some pretty serious collectors as well as some folks who were with Mag even in the early days and I've always heard that there were not any other head sizes made. I would guess that this idea was abandoned right before the lights took off. I don't know why Mag would need different head sizes as the light were able to focus unlike earlier lights which weren't. Anyway, check it out. This is the first insert I've seen this old.

It came from another collector and I have some pics of the light I'll post as well. It's the oldest Maglite I've ever seen or heard of.
    ~~~~~~~~

Nice!!!

I like how they reccomended not to leave batteries in them over long periods.

Perhaps the large head was Don's idea that just didn't seem to bite.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Nice!!!

I like how they reccomended not to leave batteries in them over long periods.

Perhaps the large head was Don's idea that just didn't seem to bite.
    They also explain about the vinegar trick too!! I wish they would still put info like this on their instructions but I'm not sure why they don't.

I'm really confused because last I talked to Don he didn't know anything about it. I sent him a copy of the instruction sheet though to see if he might remember. I am fairly sure this idea was abandoned very early on and none were produced because I've seen a ton of Maglites and talked to a lot of collectors. It's possible there's something crazy out there I don't know about but not too likely. Actually, I hope there is because I'm only missing a couple lights in my collection and I'd love to know about a new one.
    ~~~~~~~~

I figured I'd post this too. It's packages from the early days. They are 1979 (first year) on the left, 1980 to 1984 in the center, and a 1985 to 1992 package on the right. These are display boxes. Hang packs also came in around 1985.

I took this updated pick of part of my Maglite collection the other day. I thought it looked kinda cool and figured I'd share.

Last edited by LiftdT4R; 07-15-2017 at 11:47 AM.
    ~~~~~~~~

Did Maglite do a lanyard tailcap Lift'd?
    I'm see-ing them all over the place stating "fits old type" and the have a Mag part number (108-000-009). Thing is... some say "ships from China". lol.

Here's a eBay seller pic.
    It's from eCops who I've found over time to have genuine vintage stuff... well from Streamlight... I've yet to buy any Maglite stuff from them.

Yes, they did! It's not very well advertised and it was available only as an accessory from the service center. It wasn't available standard on any of their lights. They also only fit non-letter D cells. They were dropped in 92 when they changed over to the Panther lights so anything you find is going to be new old stock from around that time or earlier.

I don't know why lanyard ring tail caps never caught on. I think it's nice to have a lanyard with the light but I guess folks weren't willing to pay extra for them. I've heard something like the average homeowner uses their light only 4 or 5 times a year so I think the general market isn't looking to spend a bundle of money or interested in fancy things. Us flashaholics are a different breed entirely but remember this is the rest of America.

Here's a parts list from the 1982+ lights. Maglite's earlier parts numbering scheme was a little different and is shown in the above 1979 insert.

As you can see the standard end cap part number is 200-000-238 so these places aren't ripping off the standard Maglite end cap. No paperwork I have makes reference to a 108-000-009 so it's likely something that was only sold by the service center upon request. My bet is that it was so unpopular that that's why you still see them hanging around for sale. I have one somewhere that I got in a parts lot so I'll have to dig it out and post some pics.
    ~~~~~~~~

That's a good point too! I wouldn't say that they're hard to find because there's a bunch of new old stock hanging around but I guess they are rare in that you just never seen them.
    ~~~~~~~~

Cool. Good info (as always). I have one ordered for the non D 2D I got going last night. It arrived with a stuck battery, which I knew I'd remove someday and probably set the light aside as is... but when it came out I decided to spruce it up. For whatever reason the thought of it having a lanyard entered my thoughts, hence post #463.

After some research I found some 1 star reviews stating it won't fit LED Mag's so that was a good sign.

I suppose they are the larger OD than the newer tail caps...like those old factory type.

Flashaholic

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    I figured I'd post this too. It's packages from the early days. They are 1979 (first year) on the left, 1980 to 1984 in the center, and a 1985 to 1992 package on the right. These are display boxes. Hang packs also came in around 1985.

I took this updated pick of part of my Maglite collection the other day. I thought it looked kinda cool and figured I'd share.

Very nice collection there

Did they ever make a yellow one? Doesn't seem to be that many green ones also?

The OD is smaller on the 92+ lights but the IDs are pretty similar. Here's a pic I had from a while back with a 92+ end cap threaded into an old non-letter barrel. I don't believe that the reverse will work though. All standard LED Mags are going to have the exact same barrel as the 92+ lights just with a L as the second character of the serial. The MLs and such are different.

That 2D should look nice with a lanyard end cap! Did you end up getting the battery out? It sounds like it.
    ~~~~~~~~

It was a Radio Shack battery.

I stopped using them in anything that matters a while ago because they still leaked often and quickly.

Were you able to just push it out? Nice! Gotta love those old 2Ds. What's the serial on it? It's somewhere from 1980 to 1986.
    ~~~~~~~~

What would be cool is if they made one for the "C" lights!

I figure the 2 to the left was "2 cell" or it was 20 million 430 thousand and 825 sold by then.

The retainer ring acted like it had been soaked in liquid wrench (but had not), and once the switch assembly was out a 19mm socket and extension made a great 'wooden dowel'.
    I had the dremel and a drill ready to perform meatball surgery but as luck would have it that was not necessary.

Agreed 2hot. A C size would be epic.

Quote Originally Posted by irongate View Post
    Very nice collection there

Did they ever make a yellow one? Doesn't seem to be that many green ones also?
    Thanks!! I have some more pretty neat lights coming too.

Maglite has not produced a yellow that I know of. They have produced 3 greens though. They are:

Dark Green
    This is currently available and it's very dark green. Z Battery has green 2 and 3 D cell lights. C cells used to come in green too but they haven't in a while.

Jade
    This was a special order color from a retailers. Pretty much if you order enough lights Mag will anodize them whatever color you want. I forget if this was from Home Depot, Target or Walmart but it was done on 2, 3 and 4 D cells. I have a 4D in an earlier post and they pop up on fleabay from time to time.

Lime Green
    This is another special order color. I hardly ever see them for sale and I think they it was just done on 2 and 3 D cell lights.

Other special order colors were orange, midnight blue, and bronze. I don't think there were any others. Of course there was the gold and camo on non-letter serials which weren't special order but were produced in very small batches to test the market for different finishes.
    ~~~~~~~~

Flashaholic

T4R Thank You, don't have any green ones yet. Just Blue,Black,Red,Silver.

You go it! I should have mentioned those finishes are all on the 1992+ lights.
    ~~~~~~~~

I find it somewhat interesting that my 1999 Mag-lite has so much in common with a Mag-lite made 10+ years earlier. It is like having a new-ish classic vintage model.
    THRUNITE Archer1AV2|TiS|TN4A HI|TH20..all in neutral white
    YUJILEDS BC Series 95+HighCRI modded Mini-Mag2AAA
    XTARVC4, LCTBC500, Amaloops, 1999MAG-LITE 2D Incandescent(glass lens)

Quote Originally Posted by LeanBurn View Post
    I find it somewhat interesting that my 1999 Mag-lite has so much in common with a Mag-lite made 10+ years earlier. It is like having a new-ish classic vintage model.
    Yes they do! They weren't the first heavy duty aluminum flashlight but they might every well end up being the last. They're the Jeep Wrangler of the flashlight world.

I think it's pretty neat to see how the lights have evolved to the point where they're at now. The innovations that didn't work are sometimes more interesting than the ones that did.
    ~~~~~~~~

On that theme,
    When the ML25's arrived... those big C sized minimags my brain went back in time like they were invented in the 80's... then I saw they had done incan versions and bam!

They only made them in incan for 2016. So 10 years later when this thread speaks of those hard to find incan ML25's..

I got in on them early...
    Even now they're not easy to find since nobody really seems to want incan minimag output these days.

Here's a couple pics of my D cell lanyard end cap. These lanyard ring end caps are an official Mag Instrument part. I have a few in the package too. They are part number 108-000-009 and I believe they were discontinued in the mid 90s or so. They only fit D cell lights without a a letter in the serial (non-letters). They will not fit the 1992+ Maglites with a letter in the serial and the panther logo. I see there's still a few hanging around on the bay. I got this one when I purchased this NIB old light as it came with a bunch of accessories from a closed down police supply shop.

I made the lanyard myself. No need to buy any fancy ones. Just find 4' of paracord and tie 3 knots. Check it out at:

http://stormdrane.blogspot.com/2011/...t-lanyard.html
    ~~~~~~~~

I finally got my 7D I've been chasing for such a long long time. Now all I have to do is find a red one, blue one, and a handful of other Mags I'm missing in my collection. I'll do a write up on these but I was so excited to get it I just wanted to share some pics. It's an 8,000 serial "Paten Pending" so it's from 1980. I took some pics with my AAA Marquis (thanks again Mr. Fixer!!). I thought it would be cool to see two of the rarest Maglites together but one is the smallest light Mag makes and one is the largest.

~~~~~~~~

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 691011121314151617 LastLast