Acebeam        
Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141718192021222324252627282930 LastLast

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Here's a couple of my Maserati lights too!

NEVER seen the orange or black Ferrari lights or maserati light b4.....

I hadn't seen them before I got them either. I was told they came with very exclusive cars. The black supposedly came with the Enzo. I'm not sure on the red but the grey is the run of the mill one if there is such a thing. I was actually able to get 2 reds and 2 greys. I think you have some really interesting Mags if I remember right so if you're interested in trading please let me know.

I'm also in the process of restoring another 7 cell but this time it's even rarer than the 7C. It's a 7D. 7Ds were only made from 1979 to around the middle of 1982 and only numbered about 20,000 total where the 7Cs were made until 1989 and numbered about 40,000. The 7Ds are literally twice as rare than the 7Cs if not rarer because they were so much older.

This 7D happens to be from 1979, Maglite's first year of production. Like other 1979 lights it has the lower focus grip on the head, a "Paten Pending" stamp opposite the serial, and the large bulbous switch cover.

My stock of the 1979 switch covers is nearly depleted. I got a whole bunch from an old dealer but I've restored a few of these 1979 lights now so I'm just about out. Maglite hasn't produced them in years so I'm looking to have some produced myself. If anyone knows a good lead on this please let me know. I've searched high and low and no one currently makes a similar cover.

This light is also a very low, 4,303 serial. It's the lowest serial 7D I've seen although I have seen a few dozen lower serials on D cells. The light has been well used over the years and came in non-working. It looks like no less than 4 sets of batteries have corroded in it because there is a ton of alkaline caked in the barrel. The switch has been replaced with the 1989+ plastic retaining ring replacement as well as the reflector and lens. If you want to know what the original one looked like check out my blog post on the NIB 1979 6D I have: http://maglitehistory.blogspot.com/2...t-maglite.html

I much prefer the lights with all of their original pieces and I do have some very very old NOS replacement parts but not enough to make this light all original again. I'll likely re-use the parts that came with it because they've seen some action. Over the years, likely after one of the battery leaks, someone replaced the tail cap too with a lanyard ring style one. You can see the difference in the fading of the anodizing. These old lights fade into some awesome colors. This one has a nice deep purple.

I'll post some pics once I get her all cleaned out and lit again. This will be the 2nd 7D I've restored so I'm pretty excited!

Flashaholic

Very cool 7D. The stories I bet it could tell.

I like when they fade to the purple tint.

JT

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
    Very cool 7D. The stories I bet it could tell.

I like when they fade to the purple tint.

JT
    I have a lot of lights I wish I knew the story on! This one has some miles on it. One of the 7Ds I bought came from the midwest. The owner told me his father used it to hunt racoons because it was so bright for it's time and would run 16 hours on fresh batteries. If you needed a light that would get you through the whole night in 1982 and didn't mind shelling out today's equivalent of $150 this was it.

Unenlightened

Hi from Russia. Recently began t collect non-letter C maglites. Here is 2/5/6C. I hope that I`ll find 3C and 4C, but find 7C in Russia is impossible.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zr...0bgLAhKGYfFukk
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EN...hKdF7-BS3KXrnv
    Last edited by din107; 03-06-2018 at 05:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by din107 View Post
    Hi from Russia. Recently began t collect non-letter C maglites. Here is 2/5/6C. I hope that I`ll find 3C and 4C, but find 7C in Russia is impossible.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zr...0bgLAhKGYfFukk
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=1EN...hKdF7-BS3KXrnv
    Very nice! Is it difficult to get Maglites in Russia? In some places in Europe it seems likes the import taxes are very high.

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Very nice! Is it difficult to get Maglites in Russia? In some places in Europe it seems likes the import taxes are very high.
    5C and 6C was looking for a long time. But non-letters 2/3/4C maglites are rare too.
    Now in Russia you can buy new maglites (new style) very easy, especially in Moscow, for example, incandescent maglites 2C/3C/4C=19$, 2D/3D=19$, 4D=21$, 5D=23$, 6D=35$.

Flashaholic

Hi din. Those are great looking C Mags. Thanks for sharing.

I'm a new collector also, and recently took a liking to the C lights. I also haven't found a 5 or 7 yet, but they turn up occasionally.

Good luck. Lots of nice folks and good info on cpf.

JT
    Last edited by Guitar Guy; 03-08-2018 at 11:03 PM.

Flashaholic*

Rare to me. First time seeing this one-I pounced!
    Old-Style Maglite C & D switches for sale

SEMPER FI

Score of the year, there.
    John 3:16

Very nice! Do you have any story behind it? I was wondering if this is something that would have been standard issue or maybe if they were ordered for a special event. The serial number is likely around 1995 or 1996.

Flashaholic

Very nice Marine Corp light.

JT

Flashaholic*

Thanks! No story that Iím aware of. Iíd love to know though. My guess is special event.

Flashaholic

Not rare, but I thought you guys may find it interesting.

I did a knotless paracord wrap on this 2C last night. It's the first one I've tried on a Mag. Kinda hard to keep it tight enough from slipping on the aluminum surface without 3 hands, but I got it going after a few tries. Didn't come out quite as good as I wanted, but I have something else I'm gonna try on the next one. Maybe tonight.

Regular 550 cord makes a C tube a little less thick than a D. I stripped the 7 inner cords out of this one and just used the sheath and it lays pretty flat without adding much thickness. Feels pretty good in the hand.

I've done these wraps on mower handles, shovel, hoe, ax, cheater bars. They work well and stay tight. I generally prefer my lights without it, but some of the colors do look pretty cool.

Also, just to be sure - do you guys prefer to keep this thread for "rare" Maglites only? or other Maglite related photos too, such as this one? Thanks.

JT

[IMG][/IMG]

Looks good GG.

Good question about the thread. There are literally hundreds of old Maglite threads. But this one is still active.

Perhaps you can share your ideas in the tips and tricks thread?
    http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...ashaholic+tips

It'll be nice to see that one get bump'd and maybe a new group will share some ideas.
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-09-2018 at 08:48 PM.

Very cool!! I vote that rare/unique/unusual/offbeat are all acceptable. I've posted some lights here that I modded that aren't necessarily rare but are pretty unique.

Do ya have a guide online about how to wrap that? I'll prob do one of my 2Cs like that as it looks pretty cool and makes for a different kind of look.

Flashaholic*

Works for me

Flashaholic

Thanks guys. Liftd, I got the handle wraps out of a book called Adventures in Paracord by Nicholas Tomihama. That one's just called the "basic wrap", and there are a couple others with criss cross and looped patterns. Unfortunately, most of the rest of the book is survival bracelet type of stuff that I never really used. The handle wraps are what I've used most out of it. There's probably a demo vid somewhere online. Lemme know if you don't find it and I'll figure out a way to get it to ya.

JT

I also prefer to keep all those 'more common' Maglites in this thread.

Flashaholic

Thanks for clarifying, yes this is a great Mag thread and sure gets a lot of views Ė like over 530 in the last 20 hrs. I know I've enjoyed seeing the great collections you guys have.

Iím not even sure if GM still uses the Goodwrench theme or not, but I took an interest in this older black Mr. Goodwrench Mag, to possibly upgrade and keep in my black GMC pickup.

Itís a pre letter style, 2.4 million s.n., with stamped bezel, and near mint on the outside, but was full of corrosion caked inside the tube and around the switch. With the help of my favorite penetrant, Kroil, I was able to get the switch out and disassemble it completely to clean and re-use. Works great. I put one of the lanyard end caps on it for now.

Byk, that tips & tricks thread looks cool. Iím going to do a few posts about some knots and the Kroil later to bump that one up.

[IMG][/IMG]

Lovin' the Mr. Goodwrench theme. A Malkoff would be a sweet upgrade.
    All I see are Earnhardt in the good wrench type. Nothing wrong with Earnhardt editions, but I was a Tim Richmond fan back then. (He drove for Rick Hendrick who made the Mr. Goodwrench name famous in his GTP racing program until they signed with Richard Childress)

Definitely add to that tricks thread. Cannot tell you how many threads are started asking questions that are answered on the first page of it.

An article about the demise of the Mr Goodwrench name.
    https://www.google.com/amp/www.autom...oodwrench/amp/
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-10-2018 at 04:50 PM.

Awesome! That's likely one of the first laser etched custom order full size lights. I have a "transitional" 4 million serial Chevron light done for the El Segundo refinery just south of Mag's headquarters that's from 1991. Mag started laser etching Mini Mag bezels in 1985 due to the QA/QC issues with stamping a bezel that small. They started doing to full size bezels in 1990 and I believe they started doing customized lights that year too.

Did you have that light dated from Maglite? I'd be even money it's from early 1990. Looks like a stamped bezel which is interesting because I always figured that they went to a laser etched bezel when they shortened the grip. Sometimes they had old pats laying around they'd use up first though so it's tough to say.

Flashaholic

Yes, it's a stamped bezel. I didn't check the date with Mag, but I have a red 3D with stamped bezel and a 2.9 million sn, and it dated to Dec. 1, 1990.

Also, thanks for the Goodwrench link byk. That's interesting.

Wanted to share a pretty cool light with you guys. I don't own this one, it was sent in on my blog with a request for some info. I get a lot of inquires from my blog. Some run of the mill, and some really out there. This was one of the more interesting ones I received. So what is it? Like Mr. Fixer's upside down Mini Mag, I believe it is an error light. The serial has a letter at the end and is missing a digit.

It's a NIB 6D. The logo, bezel, and packaging all are from 1986 to 1989. The back of the package is labelled 1988. However, the correct time serial range for that time frame is 200,000 to 400,000. The 6Ds numbered about 600,000 when they switched over to a letter serial in 1992.

An 86,000 serial light would have been produced in the early 80s and an 860,000 serial wouldn't have been until the mid 90s so I'm not entirely sure what happened here. The best I can figure is that the stamping machine was not setup correctly that day or they were trying something new out R&D wise and this one slipped through Quality Control. The owner e-mailed Mag Instrument and they didn't have any information on the light.

Pretty neat considering Mag's QA/QC is very tight. I've only seen a handful of error lights and while they don't fetch big $$$ they are a cool look into Mag's manufacturing processes.

That's really cool. And still NIP awesome-ness!!!

I wonder if somebody at some point used to do an occasional error to see if it got out or kinda like a message in a bottle to see where it ended up.

A long, long time ago I worked at a place with those accoustic ceiling tiles about 7' above our heads. Texture galore. It was about 1983.

I was dispatched with answering the phones one day and was by myself. Back then they used to hand stamp incoming mail or outgoing letters. I stamped the current date on that ceiling above my desk about 10 times to see if anybody ever noticed. I left that job in 1998.

Not long before I left a man was leaning back in his chair tossing a rubber band ball in the air and says "I wonder who stamped the ceiling".
    That 6D light perhaps was one of those things....
    Last edited by bykfixer; 03-11-2018 at 09:07 AM.

Flashaholic

Talking Re: RARE MAGLITES

Now that's some rare stuff right there ... gitter' done, Liftd. Thanks for sharing, and I hope the owner sells it to ya.

Byk, you're a rogue ceiling stamper.

Thanks, unfortunately not. :-( I love hearing from other Maglite collectors and seeing cool one of a kind lights but the downside is I can't have some of them, lol. I have your lights and parts boxed up so they'll be going out tomorrow.

Flashaholic

Been experimenting with some more paracord wraps. I like the how the two tone green and black looks on the 3C.

The 4D camo/ black one is the only one where I didn't strip the inner cord out. It doesn't really look as good to me, and adds more bulk, but it is a good way to carry some extra paracord on a camping trip or on a light you carry in the vehicle.

The last pic shows the underside of the wrap after it's tucked and tightened.

JT

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Can someone tell me the difference in blue between color code DZ, FD and 11?

I'm struggling with these color codes... 11 = Blue, FD = Midnight Blue, but what is DZ then? And which one is the darkest blue?
    Last edited by Icarus; 03-13-2018 at 08:19 PM.

11 is standard blue. I'm not sure about DZ though.

Page 24 of 30 FirstFirst ... 141718192021222324252627282930 LastLast