RARE MAGLITES

willrx

Enlightened
I'll start with a 3D Mag made in March 1981. Notice "PATEN PENDING" stamped on the barrel.
IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0580.jpg

IMG_0584.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

Last edited:

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting - I wonder if anyone out there collects 'rare' Maglites. The 2AA group tends to be mostly color, and color variations, collectors. There are a few who go after the old Ontario stamp on the bezel. Maglite does not keep records of all the variations they have manufactured over the years.

swampgator

Enlightened
One of these came up for sale on the 'bay recently, no bids with a $19.99 BIN. I saw the old box in the picture and emailed the seller regarding the serial number. The said it was a no "D" serial number. Mysteriously the price jumped up to a $29.99 BIN. While it would have been nice to have a pre-D, I just couldn't justify that much for another 3D Mag.

Interestingly, that a 3/81 3D is marked "PATENT PENDING". My 2C manufactured in July 81, according to Maglite, is stamped "PATENTED MADE IN THE U.S.A." I wonder when that changed? The bezel is stamped identically to the 3D you posted.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
The non-D models were from before 1990.

The "Paten pending" models were from before early 1981.

I have one of the very first designs from January of 1980, with a large bulbous switch cover. You don't see many of those.

Also have a 7D from the mid '80s, and a couple of Vari-Beams (sold to auto garages and inustrial outlets) from the mid '80s.

willrx

Enlightened
That's the kind of interesting information that makes these threads fun.

swampgator, let's see your 2C. Maybe the cutoff was between March and July '81. Or maybe the C and D cell lights were issued patents at different times?

ABTOMAT, a fresh set of pictures of your bulbous Mag would suit this thread well. :poke: I received a new Vari-Beam bezel recently. Now to search for the rest of it.

Mag doesn't have as extensive a line up or as many variations as Surefire for example, but enough to make it interesting. Keep 'em coming folks. All Mag products welcome.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know about the actual patent times/dates, but the C and D cell lights used different tooling for the markings. I have a 3C from February 1981 that says "PATENTED MADE IN THE U.S.A."

willrx

Enlightened
Is it possible that Mag had several hundred or thousands pre-stamped with paten pending and used them up before stamping the new ones? Hopefully someone can find the actual patent dates and share that here? I'd also love to know how many were stamped with the incorrect spelling before it was caught.:thinking:

rockz4532

Enlightened
Interesting - I wonder if anyone out there collects 'rare' Maglites. The 2AA group tends to be mostly color, and color variations, collectors. There are a few who go after the old Ontario stamp on the bezel. Maglite does not keep records of all the variations they have manufactured over the years.
the ontario stamp is rare? all three of my mags have them

willrx

Enlightened
C'mon, how about some 6 and 7 cell C's and D's. I know someone has an HA 6C w/2" deep reflector.:poke:

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
you can just imagine....PRE-surefire...its the Mag-Lite that reigned supreme. even until now it is still a hot item. i got 6D cell type i bought from a store in california.