Gearbest        
Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182122232425262728

Thread: RARE MAGLITES

Default Re: RARE MAGLITES

Thanks guys!! I recently received a 4D Vari-Beam for restoration from a contact on my blog. When I got the light it wasn't it terrible shape. It turns out it just had some minor corrosion in the switch and barrel from a bad battery. Fortunately the leak wasn't all that bad and it cleaned up easily. These lights are always a surprise.

The light came with and old Osram Halogen PR Base. These aren't much brighter than a Krypton but they are more expensive. They were made in Germany and they throw a heck of a nice beam when paired with a clean reflector and lens. The quality is very very high and they are one of my favorite PR base bulbs. I believe they were made for medical use originally. They were expensive in their day and an aftermarket bulb which I think shows someone cared a lot for this light when they owned it. After all they were one of the most expensive lights in their day.

Also, I took a pic with my like new 4D Vari-Beam. You can see the one I restored has quite a few miles on it but still has many left to go. Mine is a 1980 ~50,000 serial "Paten Pending". The one I restored is a 1982 ~123,000 serial. It is stamped "Patented Made in U.S.A. because it was made after Mag's patent was approved in mid 1981.

Osram is possibly the oldest bulb maker. Renowned for quality for about 100 years. Medical equipment often came with them due to outstanding durability.

Back in the 1920's some manufacturers decided to reduce runtime and durability of light bulbs. There were also production quotas in place to cause prices to rise.

Osram was a player in the cartel but later changed their ways and became the premeir bulb maker while 'the big boys' sourced cheaper products. That was a factor in them becoming the go-to bulb for when it mattered.
    John 3:16

Quote Originally Posted by LiftdT4R View Post
    Thanks guys!! I recently received a 4D Vari-Beam for restoration from a contact on my blog. When I got the light it wasn't it terrible shape. It turns out it just had some minor corrosion in the switch and barrel from a bad battery. Fortunately the leak wasn't all that bad and it cleaned up easily. These lights are always a surprise.

The light came with and old Osram Halogen PR Base...
    My 2d mag from 1980-something came with bulbs like that from the factory. Main bulb and spare. Did not say osram, but are spot-on identical.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

I've seen those in some of the older lights I've picked up too. I don't think they are Osrams but it's possible because early on Mag sub contracted production of a lot of their parts. They didn't move production house until the late 80s when the sales really took off. They are likely Argon/Vacuum if they are form 1980. I don't think the Kryptons came in until around 1983 or so.

I never really understood the Halogen bulbs. I like them and the beam is very pleasing, not too warm, and not too cool, a really nice neutral but compared to Krypton and Xenon bulbs I don't see a huge difference. For example for 4 cell lights you have the choice of the following bulbs:

Halogen - HPR50 - 85 lumens - 25 hour rated life - 19.2 lumen / watt efficiency
    Krypton - KPR113 - 51 lumens - 20 hour rated life - 14.2 lumen / watt efficency
    Xenon LMSA401 - 81 lumens - 25 hour rated life - 19.2 lumen /watt efficiency

I didn't bother listing Argon/Vacuum because the specs are lousy and you really don;t see too many any more. The specs for Xenon and Halogen are nearly identical but the Halogens are much more expensive and much harder to find. Always been curious about this.

Halogen were over rated in my view Lift'd. So much heat without that much more output.
    Perhaps they were more drop friendly? Perhaps it was just hype?

Never studied SureFire's retina scorchers like the M6 or HellFighter, but their typical stuff was a xenon based mixture long after halogen were popular.

Didn't the MagCharger use halogen bulbs?

I've seen those in some of the older lights I've picked up too. I don't think they are Osrams but it's possible because early on Mag sub contracted production of a lot of their parts. They didn't move production house until the late 80s when the sales really took off. They are likely Argon/Vacuum if they are form 1980. I don't think the Kryptons came in until around 1983 or so.

I never really understood the Halogen bulbs. I like them and the beam is very pleasing, not too warm, and not too cool, a really nice neutral but compared to Krypton and Xenon bulbs I don't see a huge difference. For example for 4 cell lights you have the choice of the following bulbs:

I didn't bother listing Argon/Vacuum because the specs are lousy and you really don;t see too many any more. The specs for Xenon and Halogen are nearly identical but the Halogens are much more expensive and much harder to find. Always been curious about this.
    You could see the inside of the bulb glow white where the gas was, all the way to the tip.
    This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time.
    Be prepared for the truth.

Flashaholic

Thanks to Freddy for the great 5C with TM bezel, pictured below, and for shipping it around the globe.

A big thumbs up to Mag Instrument, Inc. for the cool Maglite Nation stickers that came in the mail last week. Cool surprise. You folks probably got them too.

Now with this new 5C, the last model I need to complete my collection of pre-letter C and D cell Mags is the 7C.

Pictured are my 2 through 6C lights. I don’t have a group shot of my 2 – 7 Ds yet.

Very nice!!! The 5Cs can be tougher to find than the 7Cs are 6Cs because not a lot of folks know that they're discontinued. I haven't seen a 7C on flea bay for a while so one is due, they do show up from time to time.

I didn't get any stickers.

Did ya get them because you've order stuff from Mag? I don't know that I'm on their mailing list but I've ordered a bunch of stuff from them.

Flashaholic

Thanks Liftd.

About the stickers, at first I thought I got put on the list because I ordered parts a couple times, but I think I joined the "Maglite Nation" through the website somehow. It would have been a while ago, like last year. Check the website and you can probably find out how to sign up.

Quote Originally Posted by Guitar Guy View Post
    Thanks to Freddy for the great 5C with TM bezel, pictured below, and for shipping it around the globe.

A big thumbs up to Mag Instrument, Inc. for the cool Maglite Nation stickers that came in the mail last week. Cool surprise. You folks probably got them too.

Now with this new 5C, the last model I need to complete my collection of pre-letter C and D cell Mags is the 7C.

Pictured are my 2 through 6C lights. I don’t have a group shot of my 2 – 7 Ds yet.

Nice collection & pictures!

Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any info on the 3AA? I recently found one for a decent price on ebay and picked it up. I see them regularly go for around $100 and I was wondering what makes them so special other than they are discontinued? Mine is serial # ~1,200,000 so they don't seem super rare. The packaging puts it from 2006. I'm guessing that when Mags LEDs first came out and maybe they needed more volts to power the emitter they wanted so they did a 3AA instead of a 2AA because 2004 or so was Mags first LED light. They were pretty late to the party.

It doesn't make sense really because the Mini Mag is supposed to be a compact light and the 3AA is anything but. The run time is so high with a 2 AA I can't imagine the 3AA would have had any more real benefit there.

Also, here's a pic next to a standard Mini Mag. The head on the LEDs are much longer so this 3AA is almost twice as long.

Flashaholic

I have one of those 3AA LED's stashed away somewhere. Now that I think about it, I'm pretty sure I've owned at least two. Very surprised to hear these are going for that kind of money.

Honestly, those 3AA Mags came out very early in the company's took-them-long-enough decision to stop ignoring LED technology. They came out at the same time as the first generation of 2AA LED Mag models, and were very soon discontinued. Their extremely short life-span means they're quite a bit rare now. I sure as heck wouldn't pay $100 for one. But I can see a dedicated Maglite collector doing so in order to simply round out his collection. (I've started doing that with fountain pens.)

I gave away my 3AA model during one of the past Christmas Giveaways on CPF. I also had a First-Gen 2AA version. About 4 years ago, I gifted it to a fellow security officer I used to work with. He lost it in the stupidest way you can imagine! Thinking about it still ticks me off to this day.
    Last edited by Monocrom; 07-08-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: Fixed typo.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I had one of those 3 AA Mini Mag LEDs for a short time, never liked it - too long and cumbersome. They were probably a little brighter than the Luxeon III 2 AA version and probably had a better run time, but I remember being disappointed that the run time of the 3 AA was not that great for only around 35-40 lumens. The tail cap design on these also kinda sucked.

Quote Originally Posted by xxo View Post
    I had one of those 3 AA Mini Mag LEDs for a short time, never liked it - too long and cumbersome. They were probably a little brighter than the Luxeon III 2 AA version and probably had a better run time, but I remember being disappointed that the run time of the 3 AA was not that great for only around 35-40 lumens. The tail cap design on these also kinda sucked.
    They simply got rid of the lanyard hole and smoothed out the tailcap. i like that they brought back the lanyard hole on the models that came afterwards.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.

I'd like to revisit the Halogen / Xenon /Krypton discussion if folks don't mind. I think it may be of benefit to future readers of this thread.

The light came with and old Osram Halogen PR Base. These aren't much brighter than a Krypton but they are more expensive. They were made in Germany and they throw a heck of a nice beam when paired with a clean reflector and lens. The quality is very very high and they are one of my favorite PR base bulbs. I believe they were made for medical use originally. They were expensive in their day and an aftermarket bulb which I think shows someone cared a lot for this light when they owned it. After all they were one of the most expensive lights in their day.

Quote Originally Posted by bykfixer View Post
    Halogen were over rated in my view Lift'd. So much heat without that much more output.
    Perhaps they were more drop friendly? Perhaps it was just hype?

Never studied SureFire's retina scorchers like the M6 or HellFighter, but their typical stuff was a xenon based mixture long after halogen were popular.

Didn't the MagCharger use halogen bulbs?
    I've been researching this out on CPF and some other sites because I really wanted to know. Why are the Halogens seemingly more expensive when based on the numbers there doesn't appear to be much benefit?

Well, the answer is that the Halogen prevents the glass of the bulb from darkening / blackening over time. The Mag Charger bulbs were designed to be especially long life bulbs intended for rugged service. If a Xenon or Krpyton bulb was used the bulb would run for so long that the filament would eventually degrade and blacken the glass leading to a reduced light output and a cloudy beam.

Quality control could sometimes be quite lax back in the day and the fill gasses were not always tightly controlled. So many folks opted to buy PR based Halogen bulbs for their lights instead of the common Krypton and Xenon models. Maglite never produced these for their standard lights although many other companies did. The Halogen bulbs provided a marginally longer life but also ensured that the filament wouldn't darken the glass over time by combining with the tungsten atoms of the filament and re plating them there. The lights kept a brilliant light much longer. I've heard that hardware and sporting goods stores that knew Mag products would often carry Osram Halogens and upsell them to customers. Imagine that a knowledgeable salesperson?! I think Mr. Fixer would say that's as rare as an honest politician these days.

This makes sense because when I fired up that 1982 Osram HPR I got a beam that had very few imperfections and was a nice warm color similar to a new Xenon bulb. Even a new KPR on Xenon bulb doesn't give off a beam that nice. Hope this helps or at least amuses everyone!

Good info. Thanks.

I was finally able to make a trade for a 2005 George W Bush Inaugural Mini Mag so I've completed my collection of Mag "giveaway" lights.

They are:

1989 George HW Bush Inaugural AAA
    1994 Lillehammer Olympics Remember Sarajevo AA
    2001 George W Bush Inaugural AA
    2001 9/11 Search and Rescue 3D
    2005 George W Bush Inaugural AA

Maglite has donated many lights over the years, the specific donations can be found on their History section of their web page. Only 5 of them had laser etching to commemorate the event they were being donated for. These lights can be very tough to find. About 40,000 each of the Inaugural and Lillehammer lights were produced, but only 3,000 of the 9/11 lights were made. I've seen some other potential giveaway lights too but they must be extremely rare and aren't listed on Mag's website. Two of them I suspect are for the opening of the Ronald Reagan Memorial Library and a dinner with George HW Bush. There must not have been very many at all produced and they could have been ordered by someone other than Mag.

Very cool, LiftdT4R. What a great addition to your collection!

~ CG
    Never point a flashlight at anything you don't intend to illuminate! Never buy a flashlight you have to make payments on.

Page 28 of 28 FirstFirst ... 182122232425262728