So it finally happened...

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
Sunday night I was browsing this forum when a pretty nasty power outage occured. Out of my pocket came the Arc AAA which allowed me to get to the X5 which I used to navigate to my LHS-P... within a few minutes I had strategically placed flashlights all over the house bouncing light off walls and ceilings until I had a decent amount of light to be comfortable. In the end I had The X5, 2-LSH-P's, 2-Streamlight Super Sabrelites, Mag 2C, Mag 2D, Mag 3D, A couple of odd LED AA lights and a 9P (I just needed an excuse to drain the batteries in that one). None of the other Surefires came out to play probably because without power I wouldn't be able to run the air conditioning /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.

I had to blow the dust off the old Maglites and the Sabrelites because if one of my Surefires is overkill I use an Arc AAA, LSH or the X5T depending on the task.

After I got tired of laying on the sofa reading magazines I started thinking about what I should do with the old Mags... Should I toss them in the garbage (I forgot how bad the beams are), or should I update them with LEDs??

What do you guys think?

-Trevor

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
WOW...one of a flashaholics DREAM scenarios at play. So you had a total of 8 or more flashlights running during the power-out? I only wish that i had 8 or more flashlights to play with. Great story!

ANyway, about your old Mags. I wouldn't throw them away. Try outfitting them with LEDS, i think you'll be happier with them. Look at Inretech for easy drop-in conversions. They look very well made and BRIGHT. THey might be a bit expensive...but i think they are totally worth it. You might also want to look at the different "sandwiches" for your AA mags if you have 'em. With different current regulations and circuit designs to choose from, the only thing limiting you now...is money. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Zephyr

Enlightened
You had a power outage, and I didn't get any?!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif That's not fair, I want some power outage too!!!(SIGH) So much for living in California. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

paulr

Flashaholic
The D cell mags are worthwhile lights with limitations. They are reliable and run for a long time on cheap batteries. Sure the beam isn't that great, but it often doesn't matter.

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
And how about the timing? Browsing CPF!
LEDagent, I have a box of various Mags including several AA's so it sounds as if I could keep myself busy for a while with LED upgrades.

On a side note... I ran the X5 for the full duration of the outage, about 4-5 hours, and I must say that I am impressed how bright the light still is.

Trevor

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone have any experience with the Super Sabrelites? I don't even remember buying them but they ran solid for the duration and they seem to have a nicer beam than the Mags... I need to take those outside one night for comparison.

Trevor

Catman10

Enlightened
Hey Trevor G,
I was looking at the lights you own and was curious as to shich is your favorite? They're very similar to some of the ones that I would like to pick up when I can afford to.

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
catman,

Favorite LED is the Arc LSH-P, I still grin every time I use this thing. It has pretty much put my E1e out of business.

Favorite Incan is the E2e, very bright for it's size. I hardly use the 6P or 6Z anymore, I only use the bigger 3+ cell SF's when I know I am going to need a lot of light.

I have enough lights now that I can place them where I might need them. For example, I keep the Pelican M6 in my vehicle along with an X5T, that way I have a long running light if the M6 output isn't required. I have a similar setup wherever I place lights in the house.

-Trevor

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
TrevorG said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Super Sabrelites? ...they seem to have a nicer beam than the Mags... I need to take those outside one night for comparison.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, I have one that was issued to me from Northrop Grumman. Very tough light, with a very tight hotspot. Expensive to replace bulb modules. I found the hotspot too tight for a general work light. It was like looking at the world through a toilet paper tube.
It is a great light if your need is to see small areas, at long distances. Since the bulb is permanently mounted in the reflector, the beam is perfect, at least on the ones I've seen.

*EDIT* Also, Super Sabrelites are Pelican lites, not Streamlights. *EDIT*

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
i agree with paulr; the D and C cell maglites are very sturdy and extremely rugged. the only part of a maglite i can kill through abuse is the bulb, but that applies to all incandescents including surefires, streamlights, etc.

trevorG: ditto...after i got my lsh-p i gave my arc AAA to my mum as a mother's day gift and i only pull out my C2 when i need lots of light and more throw /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
shankus said:
*EDIT* Also, Super Sabrelites are Pelican lites, not Streamlights. *EDIT*

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you, that's what I meant. I must have had Streamlight on my mind because I was trying to decide which of their new models to preorder. In case you are wondering... Twin Task 2L in black and a TL-3 in OD, if I don't change my mind today.

-Trevor

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
shankus:
Your avatars kill me! The bigfoot one is the best since the flashlight with the beam that would reach the moon (I'd buy a light light that regardless of cost too! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif )

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
I ordered both a red and white EverLED... I still have a couple of Mags left over to try something like the 285 lumen mod.

-Trevor

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
TrevorG said:
Does anyone have any experience with the Super Sabrelites? I don't even remember buying them but they ran solid for the duration and they seem to have a nicer beam than the Mags... I need to take those outside one night for comparison.

Trevor

[/ QUOTE ]

The Super Pelilite and Super Sabrelite are essentially the same flashlight sharing identical bulbs/reflectors.

Although well constructed and solid appearing the beams are extremely narrow to the point of minimal usefulness. According to my tests the hotspot diameter at 24 feet was approx 9". Since the hotspot contains about 85-90% of total output with very modest peripheral illumination this product would appear to be designed for long throw, as a kind of spotlight.

In order to compare the Sabrelite to one of our better known lights with a similar beam I chose the UK 4AA with a #480 lamp module. This lamp produces UK's tightest beam designed for its 4aa lights and the 2x123 2L.

Brief observation:

Both hotspots were of similar diameter.
The UK's hotspot was significantly brighter and whiter
The Sabrelite's peripheral beam was relatively dim
The UK's peripheral beam was approx 2-3 feet in diameter and dramatically brighter than the Sabrelite's.

I consider the UK 4AA with #480 to have the tightest beam I would feel comfortable with for walking or hiking. I would not use the Sabrelite unless I had no choice.

Perhaps a professional working in fire/emergency/rescue services might appreciate the Sabrelite's narrow beam, but as a layman I simply have no practical use for this light.
In summing up I'd say that The SuperSabrelite appears to be a good solid light with a relatively bright, very tight beam which may be of interest to those with need for specialized use.

An alternative 2xC light is the Bison. It is well designed with proprietary bulb, adjustable focus and a very long burn. Beam quality is poor to mediocre. Check for availability.

Brightnorm

TrevorG

Newly Enlightened
Yes I was surprised how tight the beam was and I do not think these lights fit any of my current needs so I may let them go.

-Trevor