4 Sevens
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Toughest EDC Folder?

Default Re: Toughest EDC Folder?

Quote Originally Posted by romteb View Post
    It might be because this thread is about the toughest folder <100$ (i missed that part too at first...)
    I probably read that part months ago when this thread was created but now the only part I see is the title! Okay, thanks for reminding me!
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

I gotta say the Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I suggest a Non-Coated Non-Cerated blade and I am sure you know they make several blade styles for this folder. I have had one for longer than any of my other BM and put it through a lot. I have sent it back to BM for LifeSharp service (only $5 for return postage) and they sharpened it, fixed some spring inside that I didn't even know was tweaked (it locked, opened, & closed fine) and sent me a brand new clip back with the knife in about a 2 week period after I mailed it. This is one of their least expensive knives. Shows something about customer care!
    I want a torch to see Heaven 'cause I have doubts that's where I 'm going.
    Click to get CERAKOTE for your flashlights!

It's back and just in time! This has been a fun thread.

I never got off the Ti framelock kick, though my focus shifted from the Sebbie as the grail to the XM-18. Then I realized those make Sebenzas seem like a good deal. I basically EDCd my Spydies and SOGs the past couple years, and didn't buy more folders, though I got a couple Landi fixies which are really nice and a steal as well. But still I wanted a reasonably priced, tough Ti framelock. Well, tonight I bought a ZT0551 on the MP, and should have it in a couple days. I'm hoping this ends up being the gnarly tough EDC I have been longing for since this thread began years ago. (I have since finished school and was able to expand my budget a little. ) Looking forward to getting this knife!
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Quote Originally Posted by nbp View Post
    tonight I bought a ZT0551 on the MP, and should have it in a couple days. I'm hoping this ends up being the gnarly tough EDC I have been longing for since this thread began years ago. (I have since finished school and was able to expand my budget a little. ) Looking forward to getting this knife!
    You'll like the 0551. I've carried my 0550 for a few months & still enjoy it. Problem is that I just picked up a 0560 flipper & it is now my EDC of choice

The nicest thing about the 0550/0551 is that they are ready to use right out of the box. The 0560/0561 needs a bit of attention to make it feel comfortable. The complaint most often mentioned is the too sharp jimping that abrades the index finger each time the blade is flipped. Those edges were melted & blended:

The flipper had serrations that seemed of no use so those were the next thing to go:

The last mod was to correct the most irritating feature, the thumb studs that I've never used. Look closely at the image above & you can just see how they've been shortened. Here's a better view:

These would catch every time the knife went into a pocket & would catch again each time the knife came out. Now they still have 100% function as blade stops but the knife no longer hangs up on clothing.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 05-14-2012 at 07:24 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Nice work on the 0560 Barry - much more "ergonomic" now. It is good to use a knife that does not bite back

Will
    Please no PM/Visitor Msg's. Email for questions/Paypal: wquiles [at] gmail {dot} com. Please visit my new website.

CRKT M-16 series, these might qualify as budget knives to some and too expensive to others, but the autolawks safety backing up the liner lock makes it a quick and convenient folder that I trust to not ever close on my fingers. -Seems awkward at first but after practicing a hundred times or so opening and closing one handed, say a half hour of playing around, converting it from a fixed blade back to a folder is slick and smooth, no big deal.

Also there are two beefy steel pins on either side of the base of the blade that sit down into notches in the handle, effectively crossbracing the blade when open, really solid design. Mine is a half serrated tanto blade, it took me a while to warm up to this "ugly" blade profile, but it's incredibly useful. I actually do use it for cutting sheet metal when nothing better is at hand, as well as using it for box cutter functions, and for precise paper cutting... lunch functions, splinter removal, skew chisel functions, solitary bathroom mirror Dirty Harry monologues -lol! It's never ever needed as a weapon... I'd rather have a shovel or a sturdy chair. ;-) The steel is tough, holds an edge well and sharpens easily. I've gradually converted it to a convex grind on one side, keeping the basically flat grind on the flat side, with convex micro bevel, going on 5-6 years of not so gentle use, Highly Recommended.
    Last edited by eh4; 05-14-2012 at 09:30 PM.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by octaf View Post
    +1,

and your little fixed is beautiful !
    octaf, nice pics!
    I love a three finger grip sheath knife, I made one up from some nice Swedish steel and thought I'd come up with something new (nothing new under the sun) they are perfect for low key carry in back pocket.
    The brighter the light, the darker the shadow.

Great thread here !

Makes me even happier about selecting my Spyderco Delica4 FFG FRN (orange)

Wanted something thin enough to EDC-carry in my back Jeans pocket.

All day long -- every single day.

This little beauty was a Fine Choice !

Yeah Delicas are super knives. I've got one too that has seen a lot of carry.

Barry, do you own anything you haven't modded in some way?

So far, two weeks in and I am very happy with the 0551. A really nice knife with heavy duty build, very solid lockup, good hand feel. It carries smaller than it is, which I didn't expect. That 0560 didn't quite appeal to me, but the 0551 really seems to fit me well. The only thing is the G10 scale is kinda ugly. There was a member here called The Sun that made wicked scales, anything you can imagine. I'm considering asking him to make me a new scale. Not sure what I want though - different G10, carbon fiber, a Ti slab? I think a carbon/Ti combo would be really nice.
    McGizmo Haiku Review Mac's Tri EDC Review MY LIGHTS!! McGizmo: Get It, Use It, Love It. Why buy a cheap bright light when a dim expensive one will do?

Barry, do you own anything you haven't modded in some way?
    LOL, hardly anything mechanical escapes without modding

The 0550 is close to unchanged with only a Hawk Grip Clip added. IIRC that clip also fits the 0551.

The orange lines show possible trit slot locations but these are not yet machined. The 0550 fits into the chest pocket of my work clothing better than the 0560 so it goes with me every day to work.

I am very happy with the 0551. A really nice knife with heavy duty build, very solid lockup, good hand feel. It carries smaller than it is ...
    +1

The most surprising feature of these models is how they disappear into a pocket and go unnoticed until they are needed. Not many knives can go along for half a day on the Harley without being a pain (literally). These are big knives with a small footprint.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 05-15-2012 at 04:51 AM.
    Surefire® boring including E-Series & Weapon Lights, gun repairs, blueing & custom work * PM's disabled * Please Email & PayPal through Precision-Gunsmithing.com

Enlightened

I'd have to say that the toughest folder I've had experience with is the XM-18 from Rick Hinderer. If you can handle the heft and bulk of a 4" blade I'd steer you towards the XM-24. Tough as nails, built like a tank and will take a beating!

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Jekyll View Post
    I'd have to say that the toughest folder I've had experience with is the XM-18 from Rick Hinderer. If you can handle the heft and bulk of a 4" blade I'd steer you towards the XM-24. Tough as nails, built like a tank and will take a beating!
    +18!
    Having had both sizes of XM-18 I can't stress how much bigger the 3.5" feels over the 3" version and can only imagine how much more that would apply to the XM-24.

Someday I'd love to have all three sizes, but mostly want to get a non-flipper 3" again, which I will never let go! Right now carrying Benchmade 520 and 525, but as good as they are, the Hinderer makes them feel very inadequate when it comes to heavy chores.
    Marduke - Solitaire...I've seen matches which are brighter AND have a longer runtime. 光陰矢の如し

Quote Originally Posted by precisionworks
    LOL, hardly anything mechanical escapes without modding

The 0550 is close to unchanged with only a Hawk Grip Clip added. IIRC that clip also fits the 0551.

The orange lines show possible trit slot locations but these are not yet machined. The 0550 fits into the chest pocket of my work clothing better than the 0560 so it goes with me every day to work.

+1

The most surprising feature of these models is how they disappear into a pocket and go unnoticed until they are needed. Not many knives can go along for half a day on the Harley without being a pain (literally). These are big knives with a small footprint.
    Well I don't have the machining ability you do but I do want to get the Ti custom ZT clip (not sure who makes 'em) and Ti lock bar stop from UniqueTitanium to put on my 0551 for more Ti goodness and Ti clips hold up better to abuse anyways. And maybe a new scale at some point like I said. When there's money, haha.

Yeah I'm amazed at how comfortable this thing is in my pocket despite its size. It's actually fairly thin, and sits deep so its not really a bother at all.

... I do want to get the Ti custom ZT clip (not sure who makes 'em) ...
    http://www.hawkknifedesigns.com/contact.html

IIRC the clip is $25 Paypal & includes shipping. Pretty awesome piece as you spring it open as it goes into the pocket & again release tension when pulling the knife out. Almost eliminates pocket wear from the clip & the grip is like death. Another nice add on is to replace the six screws with Ti-6-4 screws from Lunsford Racing: http://www.lunsfordracing.com/mm5/merchant.mvc Those are the same screws used by many of the top flashlight makers.
    Last edited by precisionworks; 05-19-2012 at 05:56 AM.

Toughest folder? Probably a Strider, Hinderer, Zero Tolerance or something along those lines. Those knives are all very big, heavy and unwieldy though, and I'm not sure they're really any good for EDC. Frankly, I think they kind of miss the point of folding knives. I think the best balance between solid, tough design and carryability probably goes to the Sebenza and similar knives. Plenty big and hefty for most tasks, but doesn't consume an entire pocket and pull your pants down to the ground from its sheer weight. It is pricey, but so are all those other knives. I think for what you say you're looking for, a knife in that class is best.

From your statements regarding whether a Hinderer is too heavy and large to carry and unwieldy too makes me suspect you've never carried one, or had hard work to do which involved using a knife all throughout the day.

I liked my Sebenza from the perspective of being a well built piece of cutlery, but didn't like the opening action or blade shape at all. However I do know it to be an excellent knife for many because of the great number of supporters it has, much like the Hinderer, just we like the ergonomics and blade design better.

Nor did my Hinderer pull my pants down or take up a whole pocket and these statements really make me question the agenda of a brand new member making such statements. If that suspicion is unfounded then at least the new member should remember that his needs when it comes to choosing tools don't apply to everyone.

The facts look fairly obvious at any rate, and that is that many long standing members think quite highly of these other knives and a newcomer with now only 4 posts suggests them all to be inappropriate for personal carry.

I'm with KD.

I EDC a ZT0560 - and my pants stay firmly up. They don't miss the point of a folder - in fact I think they highlight the point - a big, solid knife, while still pocketable.

Quote Originally Posted by kaichu dento View Post
    From your statements regarding whether a Hinderer is too heavy and large to carry and unwieldy too makes me suspect you've never carried one, or had hard work to do which involved using a knife all throughout the day.

I liked my Sebenza from the perspective of being a well built piece of cutlery, but didn't like the opening action or blade shape at all. However I do know it to be an excellent knife for many because of the great number of supporters it has, much like the Hinderer, just we like the ergonomics and blade design better.

Nor did my Hinderer pull my pants down or take up a whole pocket and these statements really make me question the agenda of a brand new member making such statements. If that suspicion is unfounded then at least the new member should remember that his needs when it comes to choosing tools don't apply to everyone.

The facts look fairly obvious at any rate, and that is that many long standing members think quite highly of these other knives and a newcomer with now only 4 posts suggests them all to be inappropriate for personal carry.
    Yes, I'm new, and I jumped right in. Am I not allowed to do that, or to have an opinion? Do I need your permission to make posts?

I didn't attack the Hinderer. Are you telling me it's not larger and heavier than other knives? You like it, so I can't criticize anything about it, is that it?

I've handled a lot of XM-18s and even ran the Bladeforums pass around for one many moons ago.

I think the XM-18 is probably the best "tough" folder out on the market right now. It's big and burly but not quite so burly that it is awkward to carry and it has nice rounded edges making it comfortable to use. I truly dislike the Striders (except for the CC models) because they are big and chunky with lots of hard edges.

I personally think it is certainly fair to judge the XM-18 as big and heavy without handling one. That is, after all, the image that Rick presents, and the reputation that it lives as king amongst the Strider-alikes. But at the same time in person it is much lighter and much less dense than the Striders that I feel it handily beats down.

Probably the only real problem with the XM-18 is that it is supply-constrained yet still in massively high demand, and anyone who manages to buy one at a fair price has to stare down the prospect of flipping it for a pretty penny.

That said, I don't use a folder for much hard use and certainly less and less these days so my needs are met by not the beefiest but still a reasonably beefy folder, which I have found in the Sebenza. It is reasonably beefy especially compared to the skinnier Spydercos but not so beefy that it is an encumbrance… I prefer not to feel it at all when I carry a knife and the Sebenza pretty readily makes itself invisible.

There are really only two other contenders I see in the ring that can play with the Small Sebenza in terms of sturdiness, overall fit & finish (civilized-ness?) and user satisfaction, which is the PT-CC and small XM-18.
    [gearcarrot.com] Collector and distributor of (mis)information.
    The Guide to High-End Lights | Flashlight Story Collection updated Sept 28
    CPF Specials | 4sevens | LED Testing | EDCF | #cpf

Quote Originally Posted by carrot View Post
    I've handled a lot of XM-18s and even ran the Bladeforums pass around for one many moons ago.

I think the XM-18 is probably the best "tough" folder out on the market right now. It's big and burly but not quite so burly that it is awkward to carry and it has nice rounded edges making it comfortable to use. I truly dislike the Striders (except for the CC models) because they are big and chunky with lots of hard edges.

I personally think it is certainly fair to judge the XM-18 as big and heavy without handling one. That is, after all, the image that Rick presents, and the reputation that it lives as king amongst the Strider-alikes. But at the same time in person it is much lighter and much less dense than the Striders that I feel it handily beats down.

Probably the only real problem with the XM-18 is that it is supply-constrained yet still in massively high demand, and anyone who manages to buy one at a fair price has to stare down the prospect of flipping it for a pretty penny.

That said, I don't use a folder for much hard use and certainly less and less these days so my needs are met by not the beefiest but still a reasonably beefy folder, which I have found in the Sebenza. It is reasonably beefy especially compared to the skinnier Spydercos but not so beefy that it is an encumbrance… I prefer not to feel it at all when I carry a knife and the Sebenza pretty readily makes itself invisible.

There are really only two other contenders I see in the ring that can play with the Small Sebenza in terms of sturdiness, overall fit & finish (civilized-ness?) and user satisfaction, which is the PT-CC and small XM-18.
    What's the blade length on the small XM-18? I didn't know Hinderer had a smaller version...

Quote Originally Posted by knifeowningguy View Post
    What's the blade length on the small XM-18? I didn't know Hinderer had a smaller version...
    There's a 3". The regular XM-18 is 3.5". That 3" mark puts it right around Small Sebenza or perhaps even Delica sized.

Yes, I'm new, and I jumped right in. Am I not allowed to do that, or to have an opinion? Do I need your permission to make posts?

I didn't attack the Hinderer. Are you telling me it's not larger and heavier than other knives? You like it, so I can't criticize anything about it, is that it?
    You can do anything you want, and I guess we can too.

But to tell us that the Hinderer is unwieldy it makes me wonder what kind of hands you have, as in my experience both the 3" and 3.5" Hinderer are great all around knives for daily carry and your ridiculous statement about them pulling down your pants was too much to pass up.

No need to embellish your love for your Sebenza, and you have plenty of company there, but when you go making statements like you did, then you'll receive feedback for it to.

Or do I need your permission?

Those knives are all very big, heavy and unwieldy though, and I'm not sure they're really any good for EDC. Frankly, I think they kind of miss the point of folding knives.
    Laughable.

You can do anything you want, and I guess we can too.

But to tell us that the Hinderer is unwieldy it makes me wonder what kind of hands you have, as in my experience both the 3" and 3.5" Hinderer are great all around knives for daily carry and your ridiculous statement about them pulling down your pants was too much to pass up.

No need to embellish your love for your Sebenza, and you have plenty of company there, but when you go making statements like you did, then you'll receive feedback for it to.

Or do I need your permission?

Laughable.
    Considering that I never said anything "bad" about Hinderer, and it was all based on specific needs, it's pretty clear you're full of bullshit. Go harass somebody else.

What is this? I expect better.

Both of you need to get off each other's case.

We are all enthusiasts here, let's just appreciate our toys and each other's opinions... respectfully.

Yeah, I know I didn't react right to that comment; I still don't know what I did though to deserve it in the first place.

I'll bite. Best hard use folders IMO... Kershaw Shallot for budget option, Hogue EX-01 for more expensive option. The Kershaw runs @ $60 if you shop, the Hogue @ $150. I have used both extremely hard for a long time, and neither had an issue. My Hogue is the 4" Gimascus, and has shiny spots in the handle from the use it has had, the tip has been broken twice doing really stupid things, base of the handle is slightly flat from driving it into wood with a steel hammer... and it still locks up like the day it was made.

That being said, there are times when I carry something slimmer and lighter, as tougher isn't always better. The Shallot was a bit better compromise in that way.

Yeah, I know I didn't react right to that comment; I still don't know what I did though to deserve it in the first place.
    Please keep a thick skin regarding remarks from fellow CPF'ers here. Don't take it personally, and I should add that members should not be quick to jump on fellow members comments. Be respectful.

Bill

Just simply that they're not that heavy, make excellent EDC knives and they don't pull our pants down.

Just simply that they're not that heavy, make excellent EDC knives and they don't pull our pants down.
    I thought it was pretty clear I was exaggerating on the weight to make a point. Still, I think that's a bit more knife than is really fitting for EDC. That's all I really have to say on that.

I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness. Jesus Christ - John 12:46