Toughest EDC Folder?

nbp

Flashaholic
I have quite a few knives...almost as many as I have flashlights. A few of them are pretty decent: couple SOGs, a Spydie Delica 4, a Boker, a Gerber, etc. So it's not a matter of really NEEDING another knife, but well, you all know how it goes. :naughty:

I was looking at Sebenzas, and wow, those are some good looking knives IMO. And everything I read says they are built like tanks. I would love to carry one of those. :drool: But there is NOOO way I can spring nearly $400 on a knife.

So I want to know what your opinion is.... what is the toughest, built like a tank, will never fail you, last forever, EDC folder I could get for <$100?

Let the suggestions flow freely. Thanks!

Nick

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SOG Tomcat is those things, but it is slightly over $100 I think. Another is the Lakota Hawk but I think they are no longer made.

redledz

Newly Enlightened
Hi npb. Kinda of interesting request keeping it under a 100. I can tell you people will swear by the Benchmade Full size grip or even the BM Ritter Grip which s just over at ~115. BM also just release their new Presidio's with 440C blades under 100. I mention BM cuz there are lots of tuff FRN knives, but most will agree the axis lock is prolly one of the strongest locks.

From Kershaw you have the Lahar and the Composite Junkyard Dog II. And if you want add about 30 bucks, the ZT 0200 is highly praised, but a bit big for edc maybe.

If you watch the secondary market, a used Para Military is also famous for being tuff with its compression lock.

Good luck

AMRaider

Enlightened
The Sogwinder has my vote. You can find them for around $60 plus shipping. Stainless steel bolsters and liners with Kraton grips. The blade is AUS6 so it's not the best steel around, but it's plenty thick at .160 iirc. Cheers.

Death's Head

Enlightened
Delica/Endura 4 is a great choice.
Skeletonized steel liners, stong lock, and quality materials.

carrot

Flashaholic
I EDC a Sebenza and I really think there is nothing else that quite satisfies the need quite like a Sebenza.

There is no such thing as a fail-proof folder but the Sebenza I trust most over anything else. Yes, I have many fine examples from various brands. If I couldn't have a Sebenza I would probably be carrying a Spyderco Paramilitary... or Spyderco Caly3 or Kershaw Shallot.

You might try the upcoming Spyderco Sage RIL but I guarantee it will be over $100. It uses the same locking mechanism as the Sebenza and the same materials (6AL... titanium and S30V).

nbp

Flashaholic
I've gotten a number of spyderco recommendations, maybe I made a good choice with the Delica 4 I currently EDC. Perhaps I should just stick with that.....

UNTIL

that Sage RIL comes out. :eek: :drool:

I guess I'll just hafta start saving my pennies....

Solstice

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, you asked for a "last for ever" knife, and you edc a Delica... how bout one of the Salt series (Salt I or Pacific match the Delica and Endura respectively). True, they don't have the steel liners, which could reduce toughness theoretically, but the FRN is quite strong (I've dropped mine on pavement without so much as a scratch) while saving in weight. The tips on these knives are also stronger. More importantly, these are pretty much maintenance free knives- you can put them away soaking wet, covered in lime juice, etc, and can count on them rinsing off and performing like new without a speck of corrosion ad infinitum. The H1 holds a wicked edge and is easy to sharpen. I've EDC'd my Pacific Salt for over 2 years and the knife is like new (aside from cosmetic wear on the coating of the titanium clip). It performs so well, I don't really have an excuse to buy new knives any more...:( ;).

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
I EDC a Sebenza and I really think there is nothing else that quite satisfies the need quite like a Sebenza.
I've never seen a Sebenza other than in pics but my understanding is that my Benchmade Pinnacle is a fairly good representation of one and I've got to say it is one of my favorite knives and probably should have listed it instead of the 525 for 'toughest' choice.

Has anyone here had the opportunity to compare these two, the Sebenza and Pinnacle?

Still looking to get one of the smaller Sebenza's and this Pinnacle's not going anywhere! :thumbsup:

Gadget Guy

Newly Enlightened
You might have to go just a tad over $100 to get a benchmade mini skirmish, but that would be my choice. It's a fantastic knife for the $$$ and it is built tough. :twothumbs

cbxer55

Enlightened
The toughest one I know of is the Lone Wolf Harsey Tactical T-1.
This is a 4.75 blade folder, with linen micarta scales over titanium
liners with LAWKS. It is huge and in my estimation built to last. And
with the LAWKS deployed, there is no way for the liner to dis-engage
an allow the blade to fold up on you.

Runner-up is the 4.30 blade Benchmade Skirmish. It is a titanium framed
frame-lock type. I trust frame locks because the lock is quite a bit thicker than liner locks, and your grip on the handle prevents inadvertent unlocking.

Both have blades of S30V, so edge retention is not an issue. I am a fan of large folders as you can tell.

I think the Benchmade Rukus might be alright, I just do not put much faith in the omega springs used on the Axis lock models. Quite a few folks over at BladeForums have reported broken omega springs. And Benchmade will not send you replacement springs, you have to ship the knife back to them to repair. Just what you need when out in the wild, trying to survive? So I do not consider axis locks tough. Smooth and easy, yes.

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
In that price range , you might be able to get a Benchmade 520 or 525 . The Spyderco Delica 4 , and Endura 4 are pretty tuff .

Chris

Hawkeye5

Newly Enlightened
First post on a flashlight forum and I end up in knives!!
I recently lucked onto a very gently used Benchmade AFCK 812 with a ATS-34 stainless blade for $65 including shipping on another forum. She is in my pocket now.
Look around. If you are looking for a EDC, a used knife does not need to be mint. There are some really good knives in the secondary market, other than everyone's favorite auction site where prices seem to get out of hand.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
Take a look at kershaw storm II, stainless handle frame lock, cheap too. You can't get any tougher than that, especially for the price.