Need help with tint emitter...

ALowe

Newly Enlightened
Edit: I found that WC stands for White and the WH is neutral white. So the WC would be more on the brighter light spectrum, closer to blue?

Hi,

I am trying to decide on which EDC to get. I have decided on the Dereelight C2H, but cannot decide on which emitter to chose.

It seems that it can be had with R2 WH, Q5 WC, or 5A Q3 warm tint. I am not a fan of the incan looking LED's, so the 5A Q3 is out. So with the other 2 choices, which has a whiter tint to it?

I tried to search and even looked at CREE's site: http://www.cree.com/products/pdf/XLamp7090XR-E.pdf

I cannot seem to figure out the code for the tints.

If there is a thread that has this (decoder) please let me know. In the meantime, which has a whiter, the R2? :D

Respect,

Andrew

Last edited:

Greg G

Enlightened
I have a new DBS with both WH R2 pills, 1 x 18650 and 2 123's, and the WH tint is hands down better than a WC for me. I have several other lights with WC emitters in them, one has an R2 WC that I swapped in.

Neither tint is pure white to my eyes. The WC is somewhat on the blue-ish side. The WH is a warmer tint. I can't really describe it well, but outdoors it is simply so much better than a WC when both are compared side by side. Heck, I even like it better indoors.

The WH R2's are not in abundant supply so I'd get one while you can. If you don't like it the emitter can be swapped out easy to a WC tint.

Greg

ALowe

Newly Enlightened
So I looked and from what I can gather the R2 is brighter than the Q5, but not by much. WC seems to be in the 6500 kelvin range and WH is ~5-5500 kelvin? So is seems that the R2 is brighter (lower battery life) and the WC would be a brighter white?

Is there any difference in tint other than color temp? I guess the flux explains how much is output in lumens?

If I am wrong please let me know.

Marduke

Flashaholic
So I looked and from what I can gather the R2 is brighter than the Q5, but not by much. WC seems to be in the 6500 kelvin range and WH is ~5-5500 kelvin? So is seems that the R2 is brighter (lower battery life) and the WC would be a brighter white?

Is there any difference in tint other than color temp? I guess the flux explains how much is output in lumens?

If I am wrong please let me know.

The R2 is brighter because it is more efficient. When both emitters are driven the same, they will have the same battery life, but the R2 will be brighter. Conversely, you can drive them differently so they have the same brightness, but the R2 will yield better battery life.

The chromatic charts give you an idea of tint beyond just color temp. It displays the ratios of greens, yellow, blues, etc.

But in short, WC is more of a cool white, where WH is closer to neutral, while not really being "warm". WH is still quite "cool" compared to the sickly yellow of incans.

ALowe

Newly Enlightened
The R2 is brighter because it is more efficient. When both emitters are driven the same, they will have the same battery life, but the R2 will be brighter. Conversely, you can drive them differently so they have the same brightness, but the R2 will yield better battery life.

The chromatic charts give you an idea of tint beyond just color temp. It displays the ratios of greens, yellow, blues, etc.

But in short, WC is more of a cool white, where WH is closer to neutral, while not really being "warm". WH is still quite "cool" compared to the sickly yellow of incans.

Thank you. I see now from this image:

Are there any real life shots of these?