I got a different color light when I sent in my inova for repair

laorulez

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I am new here and this is my first post.

I own an Inova T2. It was having problems with the amount of light output. It is supposed to be consistent with its brightness throughout the battery life. But it was dimming, so I sent it in for repair.

Anyway, I got it back yesterday. But the color of the light is different. Whereas previously, it was a "pure white" light, it now emits an orangish/yellowish tinge to everything. One of the reasons why I bought these LED flashlights from INOVA was because I liked how it is a "pure white" beam of light.

Anyway, I emailed Dot at Inova and asked her what was up. Her response was that their LED's have a variance in the color of the light they give out. I could send it back again, but she could not guarantee that I would get another with the same color variance.

I really don't understand this response. When I go to Target and try out all the INOVA LED flashlights (there is a hole in the bottom of the packages where they let you push the button to try it out), the color of the lights have always been the "pure white" light. I have never seen anything else from INOVA.

Your response if appreciated...

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
They are using a later model emitter now, which tends to be warmer (yellower). I think this is great, a warm light is much more comfortable on my eyes.

I think the colder lights you are used to is from the previous generation of Luxeon LED's.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
:welcome:

Newer INOVA lights have an upgraded emitter that produces that warmer tint with the hint of orange/yellow. Many people have found that the warm tint emitters help render colors better than the "pure white" tint. See this thread which has some comparison pics:

Finally, an LED light that rivals an incan's color rendering

And this thread links to a video where the reviewer compares a McGizmo Sundrop (which has a warm tint emitter) to a Surefire E1B backup. You can see the difference in color rendering that a warm tint emitter can offer:

Sundrop vs. Surefire E1B Backup

So, give your replacement light a shot and actually use it the way you would normally use it. You may find that your new flashlight with the warm tint emitter works out better for your use. :)

Sandman_Bravo

Newly Enlightened
And I think a lot of people associate whiter lights with being brighter (higher lumen output) than flashlights with a color variation of the LED. I personally like a light that gives better color rendering versus pure whites that tend to wash out detail especially at greater distances.

laorulez

Newly Enlightened
yeah they are using the K2 emitter which is a warmer tint..

u got an upgraded one in output and efficiency which is a good thing..

What do you mean upgraded? Do you mean they did some fiddling with my unit? Because it appears to be the same unit, since there was a scratch near the head and the scratch is still there...

I don't know about the opinions that favor the orangish tinge... I personally like the "pure white" output.

Anyway, was Dot at Inova mistaken then when she said there is a variance to the color output? Everyone in this thread has said they have been using some sort of newer model emitter, which is the cause for the organgeish color.

Also, does that mean it is pretty much useless for me to send the flashlight back and hope for a white light, if in fact everything they are putting into their flashlights is the oragnish tinge? Or do you think they will let me request the white light? Dot said I could send it back in, but that she could offer no guarantees as to what the color of the light would be...

laorulez

Newly Enlightened
Also, I was wondering then, is it pretty much general concensus that the colors are better than the white?

And, does it mean I can no longer buy new model Inova's with the white light? Thanks.

Lao

deranged_coder

Enlightened
What do you mean upgraded? Do you mean they did some fiddling with my unit? Because it appears to be the same unit, since there was a scratch near the head and the scratch is still there...

They could have quite easily upgraded the emitter inside the head while leaving the body as is.

I don't know about the opinions that favor the orangish tinge... I personally like the "pure white" output.

To each their own, I suppose. Have you tried actually using the light in the normal conditions that you would use your light, or are you simply shining the light against a white wall to look at the tint? I have lost track of the number of times people started out wanting that "pure white" output but after real world usage found that the warm tint was much better (see the threads I linked earlier for some testimonials of how the warm tint light was much better for color rendition, or note Phaserburn's comments earlier in this thread that in outdoor use, "greens and browns look better with a warm tint.").

A personal anecdote: I was at a shooting range late last week looking for an accessory for a Surefire light and the sales person behind the counter was talking to another customer saying that he was reluctant to use an LED light and was staying with his Surefire incan light because he found that the incan light gave him better color rendition and helped him identify targets better than the "pure white" of an LED light. When I got up to him at the counter I told him that not all LEDs had that "pure white" anymore and showed him the beam from my JetBeam Element E3P Q3-5A which had a warm tint emitter and he was impressed and said he would be eagerly awaiting a Surefire light with a warm tint emitter before he would make the big jump from incan lights to LEDs.

Anyway, was Dot at Inova mistaken then when she said there is a variance to the color output? Everyone in this thread has said they have been using some sort of newer model emitter, which is the cause for the organgeish color.

Yes and no. LEDs do have some variances in color output (some have purple-ish tints, some green-ish, some blue-ish). But the cause of the orange-ish tint in your light is that the 2008 Inova lights use a K2 emitter which is a newer emitter and an upgrade in output and efficiency.

Also, does that mean it is pretty much useless for me to send the flashlight back and hope for a white light, if in fact everything they are putting into their flashlights is the oragnish tinge? Or do you think they will let me request the white light? Dot said I could send it back in, but that she could offer no guarantees as to what the color of the light would be...

You can try asking Dot if you can get an older emitter instead of the latest emitters... :shrug:

Also, I was wondering then, is it pretty much general concensus that the colors are better than the white?

I believe the general consensus is that "warm white" emitters (such as the K2 used in the newer Inova lights) produce a beam with better color rendition than the "pure white" of the older Inova lights. However, it would be best to try them in your own real world usage scenarios and then make up your own mind what works best for you.

And, does it mean I can no longer buy new model Inova's with the white light? Thanks.

You can always try looking around for older stock. I believe all of the 2008 Inova lights use the K2 emitters but I could be wrong (I am not an expert on Inova lights by any means).

Last edited:

laorulez

Newly Enlightened
I'll try to give the colored light a shot. But I don't know. Except for the brightness, it looks just like a regular, non-led flashlight.

I guess what I was also wondering is, I am sort of new to the LED flashlights (I own a few Inova's but they are the only brand I have ever purchased). Are all the companies switching over to the colored lights now? How do I tell what color is going to come up before I buy their brand. Thanks...

They could have quite easily upgraded the emitter inside the head while leaving the body as is.

To each their own, I suppose. Have you tried actually using the light in the normal conditions that you would use your light, or are you simply shining the light against a white wall to look at the tint? I have lost track of the number of times people started out wanting that "pure white" output but after real world usage found that the warm tint was much better (see the threads I linked earlier for some testimonials of how the warm tint light was much better for color rendition, or note Phaserburn's comments earlier in this thread that in outdoor use, "greens and browns look better with a warm tint.").

Yes and no. LEDs do have some variances in color output (some have purple-ish tints, some green-ish, some blue-ish). But the cause of the orange-ish tint in your light is that the 2008 Inova lights use a K2 emitter which is a newer emitter and an upgrade in output and efficiency.

You can try asking Dot if you can get an older emitter instead of the latest emitters... :shrug:

Illum

Flashaholic
Inova lights can't actually be repaired due to the press fit design...what inova does is simply swap you a new light, where the luxeon lottery concept applies everywhere you step.

bluecrow76

Enlightened

I'll try to give the colored light a shot.

Another term is color temperature. On the page I linked to, there is a color graph. You'll notice a very small section in the middle of the colors is white. White lights that emit warm light tend to the yellow/orange end of the spectrum. Cool light tends to the blue end of the spectrum. Neutral are supposed to be in the middle, but you can take 10 "identical" production lights, turn them on next to each other and there will be variations in the light due to minute differences in the emitters. Take a look at the spec sheet for the Luxeon K2 emitter that is in your light. Page 23 shows you the White Binning Information.

EDIT: FWIW, this is a post from this evening that talks about the merits of the different tints of the user's lights.

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I'll try to give the colored light a shot. But I don't know. Except for the brightness, it looks just like a regular, non-led flashlight.

So you get the benefit of an LED light (durability, runtime, regulation) but with the color rendering capability of an incan light. You seem almost disappointed with what I (and many others, as well) think is the best of both worlds. :thinking:

I guess what I was also wondering is, I am sort of new to the LED flashlights (I own a few Inova's but they are the only brand I have ever purchased). Are all the companies switching over to the colored lights now? How do I tell what color is going to come up before I buy their brand. Thanks...

Here is a list: *LIST* of LED flashlights WARM/NEUTRAL/~4000K

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I have noticed that quite a few CPFers prefer the warmer tints. But I'm not one of them. Call it personal preference, but I actually like having white light coming out the end of my flashlights. I find that beam to be more useful than one on the warmer side.

seale_navy

Enlightened
yeah. I have 2 E1B before and E1B is known to have a warmer tint. One day I receive an E1B with a white tint.. slightly purple-ish.. just a drop of purple tint, i would say, I personally thing the pure white tint is brighter than warmer tint..

u can give inova a shot, at requesting a whiter tint, as from the day u bought it, the product represented itself to u as white tint hence causing you to purchase it. With a lifetime warranty, u perceive u ll get a white tint for all your life.

That is some sort of legal argument u might be able to use under contract law. Anyway, u can give it a try, I am sure Inova CS will work something out for u..

Gunner12

Flashaholic
IIRC the Luxeon Rebels and TFFC K2s are more warm tinted then most LEDs. They are still cool white LEDs but the tint is more towards the warm side.

The LED tint is not something controlled by the light maker, it isn't even controlled by the LED maker. The LED is first made and then tested for tint and output and from that the LEDs are split into the different tint and flux(output/efficiency) bin. Most companies, like Inova, but from many different tint and probably flux bins so each light will have a different tint. Even if they only use one tint bin there can still be visible tint difference between the LEDs.

Ususally a warmer tint helps with the color rendering.

What model and year was the Inova you sent in?

They probably swapped you light for a current one.

There are LEDs with even warmer tints(think an incandescent light with low batteries) and cooler tints(think blue).

Most of the companies use cool white LEDs, very few use warm white ones. The Cool white ones usually generate more light but some prefer the warmer tint.

Illum

Flashaholic
I have noticed that quite a few CPFers prefer the warmer tints. But I'm not one of them. Call it personal preference, but I actually like having white light coming out the end of my flashlights. I find that beam to be more useful than one on the warmer side.

Well, some people prefer warmer tints because of higher percieved CRI...personally I prefer white tint for indoors and green/blue tint for outdoors. vegetable rendition using LEDs can't seem to top incandescent so using green tinted LEDs out doors will look alot better than white tint.

bluecrow76

Enlightened
IIRC the Luxeon Rebels and TFFC K2s are more warm tinted then most LEDs. They are still cool white LEDs but the tint is more towards the warm side.

I used a K2 TFFC cool white (LXK2-PWC4-0200) for a Lumapower DX1 emitter replacement. On the PhilipsLumileds web site they list cool, neutral and warm emitters. This cool white emitter would be what PhotonFanatic would call vanilla. I like it because its not super warm (or incandescent warm, really yellow or orange) but doesn't tend towards any blue, green or purple either, and still puts out a LOT of light.

If thats what Inova is putting in their new lights I just might have to give some of them a try!