Is Gene (Malkof) using newer version LEDS for his M60's?

djans1397

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older version of his M60 with the hand engraving on it. I recently bought a newer one that came with the clamshell packaging and printed label on the module. I like it, but it's a much whiter tint and the beam/hotspot is much more pronounced whereas my older one has more of a yellow tint with a gradual fade from hotspot to sidespill/corona. Is this just a "luck of the draw in the lottery" or is Gene using newer LEDS? Just curious. Overall though, I really like the tint and gradual transition from hotspot to corona on my older one. I wonder if the newer one has better throw though based on the significant hotspot?

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have an older version of his M60 with the hand engraving on it. I recently bought a newer one that came with the clamshell packaging and printed label on the module. I like it, but it's a much whiter tint and the beam/hotspot is much more pronounced whereas my older one has more of a yellow tint with a gradual fade from hotspot to sidespill/corona. Is this just a "luck of the draw in the lottery" or is Gene using newer LEDS? Just curious. Overall though, I really like the tint and gradual transition from hotspot to corona on my older one. I wonder if the newer one has better throw though based on the significant hotspot?
The new M60's use a different optic from the early M60's. You can check which one your older M60 has by looking into the optic itself. The older one has a slightly 'rippled' finish to the optic. The new optic is smooth.

This new optic creates a larger and more defined hot spot. With all M60's you have 'rings' in the spill. The original M60 had even spaced rings of light. The new optic has moved one of the rings further out in the spill.

This seems to create a larger ring of slightly brighter light in the inner to mid section of the spill.

The difference in the tint you mentioned is purely the tint lottery at work. There has been no change to the emitters.

James....

ElGreco

Newly Enlightened
You've probably got one of the M60s with the Khatod 6 degree optic and an XR-E in a slightly warmer bin (slightly warmer than the WC bin, making it seem a tad more yellow than a WC XR-E).

Gene stopped engraving the binning onto his earlier M60s shortly after he started using Q5s, so unless the engraving says otherwise, you've got a M60 with a Q5 in it.