Help: newbie with stoopid ?? re ttl army surplus lasers

moefuzz

Newly Enlightened
HI, I', new to lasers having bought some of those 5mw laser pointers of ebay

Then I dove in an d bought 2 of these...
http://cgi.ebay.com/50mw-tunable-53...7276497QQihZ023QQcategoryZ53141QQcmdZViewItem

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] ""rated at 50mw 532nm with 90-240VAC and TTL modulation control.""

OK, I admit that I am new and not up to speed yet but
what they heck did I buy and what is it good for?
??:duh2:

My real question is
How do I make this work without burning it up when I hook it up?
It came with a few connectors with pigtails and a 5 volt adapter.

Please don't laugh, but the ad states 90-220 volt so I what is the 5 vt adapter for? ttl circuit?? or?
I wish they would have sent a few instructions along with the box of parts and wires...

Would I have been better off buying analog lasers (for the same price)?
Are these lasers any good as compared to what else is out there?

My first plan is to hook up the various connectors (I will post pics of connectors and board soon) to turn the beam on but I have no instructions so....
I hope I don't need an additional "ttl" circuit to make these work??

Speaking of ttl, what is it and what's it good for?
I suppose I should mention that my ultimate goal is to fabricate a laser light show but just getting it hooked up without letting the smoke out would make me happy..

signed,
confused but ready to learn

[/FONT]

Kenom

Enlightened
These are used primarily for laser light shows. TTL is the ability to turn the laser on and off and quickly as well as regulate the amount of power going to the laser. So it can be 5mw at one time and 30mw seconds later.

luvlasers

Enlightened
I always thought TTL was either on or off and analogue was the modulation that allowed you to control power. Guess I'm wrong. Happens too often :huh:

Kenom

Enlightened
It could be. I was just making a generalization that a module like that with blanking and TTL was capable of. As far as I'm aware, and I'm certainly no expert having never built a scanner, the TTL is the power regulation and the blanking is the on/off.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Just FYI: "TTL" mean Transistor Transistor Logic is a class of digital circuits built from bipolar junction transistors (BJT) and resistors. It is called transistor–transistor logic because both the logic gating function (e.g., AND) and the amplifying function are performed by transistors.

Latest posts