problem with runtime with xenon HID

hkshooper

Newly Enlightened
I'm new to the HID lights and i recently did a 35w HID a northern tool light. my problem is it will run for about 15 minutes and it then flickers and shuts it self off. i checked the battery and it has enough volts. you can try to wait a minute and turn it back on it turns on and warms up then flickers and turns off.

BVH

Flashaholic
Pretty much sounds like a failing capacity battery problem. Have you tried measuring Voltage when trying to re-start the light after the 15 minute run and flicker-out? Under no load, it might show 12 or more Volts but the moment you turn it on, if your Volt meter is digital and reads quick enough, you'll probably see it take a dive. The ballasts require a higher current when starting and a weak battery will likely show itself during the starting cycle.

Richie086

Enlightened
Hi HksHopper,

I'd say it's exactly as BVH suggests. I have several Power On Board 35w HID's. With fully charged stock 7ah batteries, the voltage drops from 13v to 12.1 volts at startup. It may rise to about 12.3v once warmed up, but if the battery was starting to go bad or is just old, the example I state here could be drastically worse.

Those Harbor Freight HID's may have been sitting for a long time. It may be better off removing your battery and testing it with say one for a car. Just do some temporary wiring to connect another battery to the lights battery terminals and you'll know immediately if it's a weak battery or something else. Please post your results. Good luck.

hkshooper

Newly Enlightened
Thanks
the battery has to be the problem it would start at like 13v and drop to like to 12.2 and then go back up but in like 15 min the volts will drop down to 8.7 and thats to low i believe for the ballast you turn it off and let it sit and the volts will go back to like 12.2

Richie086

Enlightened
Thanks
the battery has to be the problem it would start at like 13v and drop to like to 12.2 and then go back up but in like 15 min the volts will drop down to 8.7 and thats to low i believe for the ballast you turn it off and let it sit and the volts will go back to like 12.2

Yeah, replace the battery.

BVH

Flashaholic
Shouldn't ever see 8.x Volts on a 12V battery. 11.9 is 40% remaining charge on an SLA. Best for overall battery life to not go below this point. You end up getting more run time but you sacrifice the number of recharge cycles the battery will give you. 11.58 is the 20% remaining charge. You REALLY don't want to go here.