BVH Blitz 240 HID mod - NEW PICS of FULL mod and Beam Shots

BVH

Flashaholic
Jetskimark and LarryK did their Blitz mods before I did. I just wanted to share my method of mounting the HID bulb into an unmodified body. New stuff below

blitz7-1.jpg

blitz5-1.jpg

Blitz1-1.jpg

blitz6-1.jpg

Purchased two hi-temp plastic bushings from McMasterCarr and had to grind down the outer diameter of the inner bushing by about .080" Everything is a light press fit for Lip's 100 Watt bulb. Just remove the metal flange.

The focusing system is simply screwing in or out the reflector ***'y on the threaded end of the light body. There's a detent arm on the body that drops into many linear groves on the reflector housing base to maintain focus once set. There's probably a good 5/8" of focus travel. available. More than enough to cover any difference in new style bulb chamber (read filament) location. In my system, the center of the HID bulb chamber ended up about 1/32" further out as compared to the Halogen bulb. Just had to screw up the reflector by about 1/8 of a turn.

Now the battery & ballast box is another story. Used a Radio Shake plastic project box. Not too happy with it. Needs some work. It's heavy with the 100 Watt (83 to the bulb) ballast and the 6.4 AH Li-Poly battery.

Original on/off function is maintained.

OK, here's the full mod pictorial.

I wanted to not have to unscrew the box top every time the battery needed charging so I found a polarity keyed, two terminal quick connect/disconnect with locking nut to charge through. These wires hook to the charging wires of the Li-Po pack - not the discharge wires. I don't know for sure, but I am pretty sure I can't run the light with a power source using this same cord. Not gonna try.

The finished light without charging cord weighs 5 lbs, 15.5 oz - under 6 lbs!

componentslaidout.jpg

The components. The wrench-looking thing is a strengthener for the thin, metal box top. Too much flex without it.

chargingcables.jpg

The charging cords

boxwithchargingporthole.jpg

chargingportfrominside.jpg

chargingadapterinstalled.jpg

ballastinbox.jpg

The ballast and battery are held in with velcro so easily removable. Thanks to LarryK for this idea

battery.jpg

allstuffinbox.jpg

boxtopmountedtoblitz.jpg

switchinstalled.jpg

The rocker switch toggles between 35 Watt and 100 watt (input power)

testrun.jpg

I had to change out the high Voltage wire connectors from
typical Beldon spades to 30 Amp Anderson quick connect/
disconnects. The Beldon connectors don't fit tight enough
together to prevent initial arcing and a no-start.

finishedboxwithwiring.jpg

charging.jpg

chargingcloseup.jpg

My Schulze charger and Mastec 30V-50Amp Power Supply at work!

sideviewsale.jpg

topdownsale.jpg

backviewportsale2.jpg

backviewportsale.jpg

Beamshots tonight if the weather holds. I'll compare at 100 watts with my Barn Burner and with some 30/35 Watt lights on 35 watt setting.

Last edited:

BlueBeam22

*Super Flashaholic*
Re: BVH method of Blitz 240 HID mod, bulb mounting only

Really nice work BVH. I look forward to hearing about how it compares in throw to other HID lights like the Costco and BB. I imagine it easily out throws them, and must be a monster at that wattage combined with the giant SMO reflector.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened

high mate, can you direct me to where you purchased the plastic bushing as i would like to get one for my blitz

cheers josh

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice clean mod work there BVH! :D

Maybe you could power it with one of those GB proton accelerator packs? :thumbsup:

Patriot

Flashaholic

Nice clean install BVH. Looks like it was done by an artist :grin2:

I'd sure enjoy seeing the rest, including the ballast, when you're done.

JetskiMark

Enlightened

Nice build Bob.

I am going to have to make one of those too.

I would like to see some beamshots comparing it to your Barn Burner.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened
Re: BVH Blitz 240 HID mod - NEW PICS of FULL mod

hi BVH
how did you go about mounting the metal bracket to the bottom of the handle? do you have any closer pics etc? i see you have got screws in there but im not sure how they attach to the baseplate.

BVH

Flashaholic

Mark, here's a quote from one of my posts in the Maximus thread.

"Warmed up and settled down using a regulated power supply:

Input power - 8.2 Amps @ 13.99 Volts totaling 114.72 Watts
Output power - .85 Amps @ 98.5 Volts totaling 83.7 Watts

A 27% loss through the ballast."

From memory, I believe the draw at the 35 Watt setting was in the mid 3's.

All costs include tax and shipping and are rounded to the nearest $5.00 - costs edited to reflect final build

1. Blitz …………………………………………………..….$125
2. Li=Po battery……………………………..………..$150
3. Ballast……………………………………………..…….$130
4. Rocker switch……………………………….………$ 8
5. Charging cables……………………………………$ 34
6. Bulb bushings……………………………………..$ 30
7. Bulb…………………………………………….……….$ 26
8. Packard WeatherPak connectors.......$20.00
9. 25KV rated silicone 20AWG wire.......$4.00
10. Misc hardware………………………….……….$ 5
11. Box…………………………………………….……..$ 12
12. 1/8" x 1.5" aluminum stiffener.........$1.00
13. FEP Teflon hi dielectric shrink tube...$1.00
Total………………………………………………………….$545

Removed:

8. Anderson connectors………………………….$ 15
9. Misc connectors, silicone wire…………….$ 5

Last edited:

BVH

Flashaholic

S13, the Blitz comes with a female threaded hole on the bottom (1/4" IIRC) of the red plastic handle bottom. I bolted from the underside of the cover into this hole. It's not enough. In the front part of the red plastic handle bottom, there is a void large enough to drill a hole for a 10 24 bolt. Drop a nut down into the handle void and bolt from underneath. Still not enough. The weight of the box with ballast, battery, etc. will pull the red part of the handle bottom right out of the handle. It's held into the handle with two plastic tabs. You'll see a shiny screw on each side of the black handle - about 3/4" up from the bottom - that engages the red plastic handle bottom and holds it tight to the black handle.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened

sweet man!

My connector is different in aus, as in the red plastic tab it is 5/16" screw but i will endeavor to do what you have done.
Cheers.

On another note, where did u get the ballast from? and would it run from a standard 12v car battery? By the looks of it, yes it would but would like confirmation.

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Very nice!!

How is the runtime on that beast?

Benny

BVH

Flashaholic

Run time on high including 5 separate starting cycles was about 56 minutes. I'm guessing on low, it would easily go over 2 hours.

I looked for smaller charging connectors - such as the one on the Xeray lights but was not successful. I'd rather it have been much smaller.

I got the ballast and bulb from member "Lips". Not sure if he has any but try him.

Too many of my lights were not fully charged so no beamshots tonight. In the next couple of nights, I'll try to get them in.

I'll shoot the Barn Burner 75 Watt (at the bulb), Costco 75 Watt (at the bulb) HID, Costco 35 Watt (input Watts) HID, Twin Vector 192 150 Watt HID (75 Watts at each bulb) Blitz HID @ 35 and 83 Watts (at the bulb), LarryK14 Incan. 600 Watts.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Beautiful job. Wonderful pix. WOW! :twothumbs

Props to JetskiMark & LarryK.

larryk

Enlightened

Excellent job, I never thought about the handle popping off the hold down taps, thanks for the tip.
Did you buy your battery pack from BatterySpace ? If so did it come with a fuel gauge on the PCM ?
I looked all over the internet for an appropriate size project box made of aluminum, but the largest I found was just a little to small to accommodate the huge ballast and battery pack.
Hopefully Lips will get some smaller and lighter ballasts soon.
Now we will have to wait to see who gets beamshots posted first, Lips or yourself.

Last edited:

Parker VH

Enlightened

Are the stock Blitz lights available new here in the U.S.?