New Peanut lighter....

Robocop

Moderator, *Mammoth Killer*
I am not a smoker however while looking at one of my favorite older sites I saw the new split pea lighter. Could not find much on a search as far as specs and wondered if anyone has one of these. It claims to be the worlds smallest lighter and it is just facinating to me. I am thinking of buying one as 11 dollars sounds pretty good to me just to have one around the house.

I am looking for details such as how long can it be stored with fuel and still operate and also is it really waterproof? I wonder how many strikes you can get from such a small fuel supply? Pretty cool item none the less and I also see they have the original version for 5 dollars which is about half as tall as the peanut.

If something was to fail on a lighter of this simple design what would it most likely be? It seems to follow the K.I.S.S. approach very well and I am curious as to how rugged these are also......almost forgot the link....see below.

http://www.countycomm.com/splitpea.htm

Edit ... Just realized I was reading the cafe section when I posted this ...moving it to the gadgetry section now.

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Got myself a stainless peanut for Christmas just for grins. It should hold fuel a long time because of the o-ring and be completely waterproof, but I haven't really tested it. I noticed the split pea yesterday, but I don't think it would be that good, except as a novelty. The little peanut is hard enough to hold on to while striking. When I first went to fuel it the cylindrical part that surrounds the wadding separated from the striker top. I fixed it with some super glue, but that might not be very permanent. It also takes many tries to light it, but this may be mostly operator error. Warming in the pocket helps, and new flints could improve this, too.

To be completely practical, it's probably not a good choice, just get some disposables at the dollar store. As a neat little gadget, I like it. If nothing else you've got a waterproof pill vial for your keychain.

Geoff

novice

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine unscrewed and dropped off somewhere

I don't smoke, but I had a stainless peanut lighter on my keychain (not entirely sure if it was worth the extra weight, but I thought it was cool...), and it eventually it loosened itself enough to drop off somewhere unknown. Considered getting a replacement, but I wanted to figure out a solution to this problem first, before I did that. How would any of you suggest I keep it from loosening? Since the exterior surface is so smooth and slick, I wouldn't want to use even the weakest form of loctite, because it would probably be too difficult to open. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

paulr

Flashaholic
If you use and fill a lighter regularly (e.g. you are a smoker), fluid lighters have their attractions. If you don't use them much and just want a lighter to stash away for occasional use, I think the fluid tends to dry up over time. You are better off with a disposable butane lighter.

scott

Enlightened
Re: mine unscrewed and dropped off somewhere

I don't smoke, but I had a stainless peanut lighter on my keychain (not entirely sure if it was worth the extra weight, but I thought it was cool...), and it eventually it loosened itself enough to drop off somewhere unknown. Considered getting a replacement, but I wanted to figure out a solution to this problem first, before I did that. How would any of you suggest I keep it from loosening? Since the exterior surface is so smooth and slick, I wouldn't want to use even the weakest form of loctite, because it would probably be too difficult to open. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thank you!

I'm not a smoker, so my peanut lighter only gets used very infrequently. (I carry a bic or other lighter if I KNOW I'll be needing a lighter.) All this said, I know the O-ring should keep the fluid from evaporating, but I wanted extra insurance, so I wrapped the seam with a couple turns of electrical tape. If I really need a lighter, it's not that much extra hassle to unwrap the tape. The tape also keeps the two pieces from unscrewing from each other.

Illum

Flashaholic
I might order a few for the sake of novelty...too much bics around:nana:
How well does this 300 SS conduct heat? Building a lighter out of metal just sounds a bit...I dunno what the word would be, a word by definition would be "so senseless as to be laughable".:ohgeez:

Its hard to imagine the profits at $5
http://www.countycomm.com/peanutlighter.htm

The SS peanut comes to about $11
http://www.countycomm.com/sslight.htm
Same price for the split pea too
http://www.countycomm.com/splitpea.htm

Dang it, too many choices :ohgeez:

Last edited:

lumafist

Flashlight Enthusiast
yupps..!

A petty though with CC...
I`m trying to source a ECWS jacket that I had and they have both Gens...

mahoney

Enlightened
I carry a peanut lighter and use it infrequently. The O-ring bit the dust after 3 months or so, but even without it, I only need to re-fill the lighter with fluid about once a month.

Charon

Newly Enlightened
Re: mine unscrewed and dropped off somewhere

I have never had mine come lose. I always keep it snug up against the O-Ring.

But for those worried about how long it stores lighter fluid and coming lose. You could try wraping a thin layer of Teflon tape on the threads, not only would this make it harder to unscrew itself. It would doubly seal the fluid in. Just don't use too much, a single wrap would probably suffice, and trim the excess.

I have found the O-ring sufficient for keeping fluid in the lighter for months. I don't smoke and seldom use it. Had it for probably more than a year and it could probably use a new o-ring. If you over tighten the o-ring will deform and not make a proper seal.

De-Lux

Enlightened
You can buy the same lighter HERE at deal extreme for a fraction of the price and they offer free shipping. You can also purchase the same lighter HERE for much cheaper as well and I am sure shipping will be cheaper too. County Comm basically sells overpriced novelty trinkets and then they try to rape you with their shipping prices. They wanted to charge me $25.00 on shipping for a $12.00 item that was no bigger than a pack of chewing gum. No thank you.

smokinbasser

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I saw peanut I just had to check it out being a Case peanut knife collector but then realized this was a case of describing it by size not form OH well thanks for the link.

DonShock

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can buy the same lighter HERE at deal extreme for a fraction of the price...........County Comm basically sells overpriced novelty trinkets.......http://www.imsplus.com/military-field-equipment-and-gear/fire-starters-matches-and-lighters.html
In this particular case, price and quality do make a difference. I initiall tried the cheaper peanut lighters and was dissapointed. Although the interior of both units was similar and functioned about the same, the quality of the exterior case makes a world of difference. That's because the case limits the fuel evaporation which, in the end, determines whether the lighter will work when you need it or not. I tried everything I could think of with the cheaper lighters to get a better seal: better o-rings, teflon tape, silicone sealant. The lighter would still dry out after just a day or two. I finally just wrote off the idea of the peanut lighters. But after several months of hearing others write about how well they liked their ones from County Comm, I decided to give it another try. And there was a world of difference. For the slight increase in price, you get a better quality case. There's not really any design differences, but the overall build quality is definitely improved. And that little bit of extra attention on the build lets it keep a good seal to maintain the fuel supply through months of non-use. Being a non-smoker, mine only gets occasional use. Mostly to melt the ends of frayed strings.

fisk-king

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carried the small peanut lighter on my keychain until I left it on the picnic table at work (it was gone the next day). The smaller one does retain the lighter fluid due to the o-ring but it only lasts for less than 10 strikes, in my experience.

taloong

Newly Enlightened
You can buy the same lighter HERE at deal extreme for a fraction of the price and they offer free shipping. You can also purchase the same lighter HERE for much cheaper as well and I am sure shipping will be cheaper too. County Comm basically sells overpriced novelty trinkets and then they try to rape you with their shipping prices. They wanted to charge me $25.00 on shipping for a $12.00 item that was no bigger than a pack of chewing gum. No thank you.

I bought a few from Deal Extreme and about half worked properly if at all. I would go with County Comm.