Icon Rogue 1 - First Look Now with Pics!

Flashlight Enthusiast
:twothumbs

Well after about a week of waiting my Icon Rogue 1 flashlight has landed.

Blister packs are far from my preferred packaging, but you get what you get and blister packs are store friendly.

It's a well machined light, all the things you read about the rails being weak are inaccurate (at least in my experience) the rails are quite robust, and unless you run over or abuse them they shouldn't bend at all.

Beam quality is excellent and on high matches closely to level 3 on my U2.

The UI is a little weird Press once for the first level (could be high or low depending on where left last) then release and press again for the other level. Press hard and click to stay lit up. This can be annoying but it's not a terribly big deal.

I was wrong somehow I was tricking myself or the light (and I don't think it was the latter) It has no memory beyond the quick on off sequence. You let it sit for a few seconds and it WILL start on high.

The tailcap is LOUD. It has a metallic ping to it when depressed. It has great action but it isn't for stealth. The rubber boot is great too I love it.

The threads are buttery smooth and the machining and anodizing are perfect. The rails are sharp on the inner surface but not more than 90 degrees so it shouldn't cut anything, may fray cordage though.

For me it's the perfect size, and has a nice light weight to it.

If I can (and I might try) I would change the switch to something more quiet, and I would either make it single stage or use a Novatac/Ra UI for the clicky switch.

Pictures later.

Low mode is PWM at a good frequency it won't flash with light movement but infront of a fan or if you wave at it with a finger quickly it shows it's PWM. If high is also PWM it's beyond what the brain can process.

DSC00913.jpg

DSC00914.jpg

DSC00915.jpg

DSC00916.jpg

DSC00917.jpg

DSC00919.jpg

DSC00921.jpg

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

DSC00930.jpg

DSC00931.jpg

DSC00933.jpg

Ps. Mine's grey too.

Last edited:

alfreddajero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Icon Rogue 1 - First Look

Cool cant wait for the pics and more of what you think about it......

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice!

Waiting for the pics too...

Excuse me but, where did you buy it ?

deranged_coder

Enlightened

The UI is a little weird Press once for the first level (could be high or low depending on where left last) then release and press again for the other level. Press hard and click to stay lit up. This can be annoying but it's not a terribly big deal.

It has a memory? I thought it always came up on high mode first, similar to the E1B and E2DL? :thinking:

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been quite interested in getting a Icon Rogue and was curious.. do you think the Rogue 1 would be bright enough for nighttime walking,or should I splurge and get the Rogue 2?

Flashlight Enthusiast

Edited my original post about the UI I was wrong and tricked myself.

The light was purchased from the same Honk Kong shop on e-bay that Bernie purchased his from.

I think this would be the perfect walking light, the beam is flawless and in my case has a nice cool LED color while not being blue. Honestly for walking I don't care to have more than 20 lumens and only need about 3-5 lumens. I don't care to attract attention with over 100 lumens and try to keep my night vision intact, it also helps to not blind others.

Unfortunately my card reader is still MIA so no pictures for now, some have been taken but no upload. With a current bump I think this could make a great thrower light the beam is very nice.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Also the pill is either screwed in very tightly and made very precisely or a thread locker is used. I am wary of using heat due to the amount of plastic in the head. Boiling water may be attempted later if someone can confirm the stability of common plastics and plastic mirror coatings at around 220F.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast

Nice little quick review there. I've been intrigued by this light since I first heard about it. I wouldn't mind reviewing one, but that looks like it will have to wait for a while. Can't wait for the pics. Hope you find your card reader soon.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast

... Can't wait for the pics. Hope you find your card reader soon.

+1 :thumbsup:

I´m specially interested in Icon Rogue 1. It looks like it´s the best choice for a KISS UI AA light, for it´s price!

Probably gonna get one... :devil:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Probably gonna get one... :devil:

I'm beginning to think the same thing. With the shorter length compared to the Rogue 2 those rails will be stiffer. Looking like a good back door beater. If Wally's comes in under $30 it's a go. Well, maybe $35.

Geoff

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic

Thanks, Al. My memory of the design was playing tricks on me. I now see what you mean.

Geoff

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast

Updated PWM mention in teal.

Not everybody perceives PWM the same. I can detect and am annoyed by PWM that some others can not see. So if you can detect by waving your finger I would say I will see it almost all the time I use low. The PWM on some LED car tail lights really annoys me.

Icon is a no go for me for PWM alone.

2nd opinion: This is not a tactical light, It should start on low first.

Flashlight Enthusiast

Pics added.

Btw the PWN is incredibly high, I'd estimate it is up in the 10KHz range. No hum and on a 3600 rpm fan it cycles about 21 flashes per revolution. (Guesses but non the less it's FAST!)