• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

tripod mount?

paulr

Flashaholic
Has anyone figured out a good way to tripod-mount a Sundrop or Mule PD? This is one feature that I miss from the original McLux. These lights are great for close-up photography of small objects, so it would be really nice to have a convenient way to mount them and move them around. Any ideas?

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Hi Paul,

Don has done just that for his SunDrop:

The SunDrop is a clickie so no piston. It took me a couple minutes to come up with a solution last night. My LocLine arm on a clamp has a 1/4"x20 stud at the other end of the LocLine. I took a think rectangle of aluminum, punched a hole and taped it for the 1/4"x20 and screwed it onto the flex arm. I then just clamped the light via the belt clip on the aluminum plate. I showed in some thread a while ago how one can pass a 1/4"x20 through the long wedge shape hole in the clip itself and use this to receive a 1/4"x20 mounting stud.

SunDrop-Toad-CameraSetUp.jpg

:) john

paulr

Flashaholic
Thanks, the aluminum plate scheme is clever. I may try something like it.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi paulr,

The solution depicted there isn't elegant by any stretch but it was fast and quite effective. There are any number of mounts and clips designed to accommodate ~ 1" diameter that can be adapted to in turn be mounted on a tripod. Realistically, I don't think you need the rigidity that a tripod can give you for a light and in some cases, you may have more versatility if the light arm doesn't require a horizontal surface upon which to rest.