Maxpedition - Knives and Tools
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Just broke my Eagletac P10A2

Sigh Just broke my Eagletac P10A2

Light dropped out of my pocket and fell about 3 feet onto the floor, landing on the tailcap. The tailcap is ok, with a very minor scratch to the anodising.

However, the lens has shattered and one of the metal reverse polarity protectors has dropped off.

I have contacted 4sevens for advice, so we'll wait and see.

I am now quite disillusioned with the build quality of Eagletac, and am comtemplating replacing it with an Olight T25 Tactical. I have dropped Fenix, Surefire and Nitecore stuff, with no ill effect.
    Last edited by HeadCSO; 02-02-2009 at 09:22 AM.
    It is not important to be better than someone else, just better than you were yesterday.

Default Re: Just broke my Eagletac P10A2

Quote Originally Posted by HeadCSO View Post
    Light dropped out of my pocket and fell about 3 feet onto the floor, landing on the tailcap. The tailcap is ok, with a very minor scratch to the anodising.

However, the lens has shattered and one of the metal reverse polarity protectors has dropped off.

I have contacted 4sevens for advise, so we'll wait and see.

I am now quite disillusioned with the build quality of Eagletac, and am comtemplating replacing it with an Olight T25 Tactical. I have dropped Fenix, Surefire and Nitecore stuff, with no ill effect.
    There was a thread somewhere talking of Eagletac lenses breaking when dropped - Eagletac are aware of the problem and supposedly had fixed this problem.

Good luck with it,

James...
    removed

Yes, I was aware some folk on CPF had this problem with the early lights. Only got mine last month so didn't think it would happen to mine.
    It is not important to be better than someone else, just better than you were yesterday.

Talk to eagletac first. They should send you a new lens for free. The reverse polarity protectors tend to come off, but they do not affect the functioning of the light. You can super glue or epoxy them back on.
    I have dropped my T10L from about the same height onto a tile floor. It slightly dented the tailcap ridges and took off a very small amount of the anodizing, but the lens did not shatter. maybe it is more likely with the P series than the T series.
    Definitely let Eagletac know about it. Hopefully they can come up with some solution for us who have already bought lights from them. I don't know if it is a design flaw, or some manufacturing defect in a certain batch of lights. Hopefully Eagletac will tell us...

AFAIK Eagletac never issued a fix for the lens problem on current lights. They said they "performed tests" and found no issue with the design. Which is amusing because the new T10LC2 and future Eagletacs reportedly now have a revised head design for enhanced impact resistance. Maybe the new models will fare better, but that's not much consolation for current owners

We are implementing an impact absorption pad to sit between the bezel and the window for the previous P and T models. This involves building a dedicated plastic mold and will take a few more weeks to complete. This is an optional device to enhance impact resistance. If anyone has issues with broken window or battery reverse protection plates detached. Please email us.
    Nicole

Flashaholic

Will this impact absorption pad be standard on future production Eagletac lights and an optional purchase for current Eagletac light owners, or optional for future production as well?

Thank you.

subscribed

glad it's being addressed

Will this impact absorption pad be available to people who already own Eagletacs? Will it cost money?

This is exactly the reason why I have been reluctant to get the 2xAA model.

What's the estimated date for fixing the polarity protection, which is expected to fall off?

It needs the bugs worked out.

etc: The ET489 built (most recent production batch) of P10A2 has its head design revised. The reverse battery protection plates are secured by additional layer of mixed adhesive through the back of the plates. You can find the production batch serial number under the laser engavement of "P10A2" on the body tube. We just started shipping the ET489 P10A2 and PTS has them.

Mjolnir: We will try to minimize the cost of the end users on these.

Mikellen: Only the ET487 built EagleTac needs them. Later production batches such as ET489 built does not utilize them as different head design approach was used. You can locate the production batch serial under the model laser engravement on the body tube. The recent P10A2, P10C2, and T10LC2 belongs to the ET489 built.

Hope this helps. You are welcome to PM me.

Nicole
    Last edited by EagleTac; 02-02-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Are you saying that all of the new models use the new head design that the T10LC has? If so, does this include the T10L?

Enlightened

Default Re: Just broke my EagleTac P10A2

Very helpful and encouraging. Thank you, Nicole and EagleTac, for support and quick answers.
    Last edited by emr; 02-02-2009 at 10:32 PM.

Default Re: Just broke my EagleTac P10A2

Good job Eagle Tac, and Nicole.

I understand exactly how much work it is to make and run a new mold for high volume production of a small part like the lens cushion. I also understand what it takes to change the head design and get new ones shipped so quickly. I have been responsible for things like that most of my working years. I think it is more work than a lot of people think it is.

Many don't admit it, but we all make mistakes. The smart ones fix it fast and fix it right, and go forward from there.
    How will you be getting the word out, about the lens cushions? It's something I will be looking for.

Just got a RMA number from 4sevens to return the light. Will be interesting to see if the replacement is the new or old version.

Thanks for update.

So who sells the newer, updated version of P10A2?

On paper, it looks like the most interesting lite (to me anyway), the dual mode is a good feature, the UI is a good idea.

Does anyone know what they actually changed for this new version?

Flashaholic*

Just checked, I have old version of t10c2. Looks like I'll have to think twice about using it as my outdoor light now.

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post

Email 4sevens and ask, I bet he will have them soon if not already.

Grinser2 Re: Just broke my Eagletac P10A2

If ET487 is superseded by ET489 does that mean that both of my P10A and P10A2 are from the future since they both have ET687 laser engraved on them?

Quote Originally Posted by 1anrm View Post
    If ET487 is superseded by ET489 does that mean that both of my P10A and P10A2 are from the future since they both have ET687 laser engraved on them?
    whoa!

Quote Originally Posted by 1anrm View Post
    Hmm, so does my T10C2 have ET687 on it. Interesting!!

Ack!!! My new P10A2 is in transit from the EagleTac-Store and I hope it is from the ET489 batch.

I went with EagleTac mainly due to all the positive reviews on CPF. Grrr...wish I had came across this thread or, rather, similar thread sooner.

Well, at least EagleTac has a presence here and is addressing this issue. But still...my excitement for this light just went down two notches.

Enlightened

Default a plan

Quote Originally Posted by Mjolnir
    Does anyone know what they actually changed for this new version?

This is my guess for what happens next. I know nothing about the flashlight industry, nor do I have any connection with manufacturing.
    Practically everyone who will purchase new EagleTac products and who follows this forum waits for the new revised models. The revised products have increased impact resistance from new head designs with retainers for the lens, add more adhesive to the reverse battery protection plates, and the tail caps have extra contact surface for enhanced conductivity.

The factory sends the revised products to all dealers along with a dealer recall notice for all older units in dealer stock. The older units have the heads and tail caps replaced at the factory and are sent back to dealers as new stock.

For those who have already purchased the old versions, impact absorption pads that sit between the bezel and the lens are offered for sale at minimum prices. If the reverse battery protection plates fall off, they can be reattached by the owner with epoxy adhesive.
    This plan may be happening now, since the new production batch has started shipping.
    Last edited by emr; 02-11-2009 at 05:38 AM.

Unenlightened

mines an 687 as well

My T10C2 also has ET687 engraved on it.

Flashaholic*

My P10a2 has ET687.

I'd like to hear Nicole chime in about the ET387 as well since it appears the majority of us have that one, myself included.

Ex ignorantia ad sapientiam e tenebris ad lucem!
    LaymansLights.com Now on Facebook and Twitter.

Enlightened

Default Revised items availability

Quote Originally Posted by etc View Post
    Thanks for update.

On paper, it looks like the most interesting lite (to me anyway), the dual mode is a good feature, the UI is a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2manybikes View Post
    Email 4sevens and ask, I bet he will have them soon if not already.
    Just look at the product description on the dealers' websites. For revised product you will see:
    New features/improvements:
    Revised head design for enhanced impact resistance!
    Revised tail cap design for enhanced conductivity

Flashaholic*

makes me wonder if someone wealthy shouldn't do a basic drop test on all "tactical" lights just to check their strength Most of us probably baby lights... when push comes to shove, however, you kinda need to know it'll stand up to some abuse.
    LX2 - QuarkAA - L2P/XPG - H501w - MagLEDs galore - Former E1B/E2DL/6P/120P/D10/L2D/L1D/M3/DMini/McGizmo owner (love the Marketplace)