New to me Coleman 'backhome serenade'

Kremer

Enlightened
I diddn't know Coleman made something like this, it's a little propane single mantle (#21) table light with electronic ignition, a rounded frosted globe, an integrated shade, and a nice looking plastic base that holds the propane tank. For scale the propane tank is held about 1" off the ground and it threads in right about where the bottom of the control knob is.

I picked it up off ebay, brand new condition, it looks like it's been used once or twice because it came with a broken mantle installed, but zero signs of use. it's fully dimmable and the frosted globe makes for some very nice even soft light. it'll be great for out on the patio, etc... where my northstars would be harsh overkill. On searching around I've found only repair parts information on the Coleman site, no other reference.

Coleman%20backhome%20serenade%20515.jpg

Cydonia

Enlightened
I would tend to suspect it to be from the mid 1990's or before if there were no online references apart from the Coleman site. Interesting little light for outdoor applications...

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
I remembered Coleman had these out starting in the early 2000's. They only made them for a short time and it went with their "Back Home" line of products which included patio heaters, backyard furniture, and mosquito traps.

Last I know, they were discontinued maybe three or four years ago. I don't think they sold very much of these; I came across a bunch in a surplus store once.

Look at the part of the lantern near where the propane bottle screws in. There should be a month and year stamped in the metal near by.

Last edited:

Kremer

Enlightened
The engraving on the regulator looks to be something like g1598, so that would mean 98 I guess, it is very difficult to see, the instruction book is marked/copywrited 2001. So that early 2000's number seems about right.

Functionally this thing isn't much different from your standard single mantle propane lantern. But the shade, frosted globe, and enclosed tank really dress it up. If the object was to make it look less 'camping' and more 'outdoor patio' I think they hit the mark head on. I'll get some better pics of it this weekend.