which tiny 1xAAA LED light should I buy?

sprokker

Newly Enlightened
I've been a happy user of a Peak LED Solutions' Matterhorn Standard Power for years, until I lost it just recently!

Now I'm looking for a replacement in approximately the same form factor - just a bit bigger than a single AAA battery.

I was very happy with the Matterhorn, but it would have been even better if it had had a couple more features: I'd really like a momentary/clicky tail switch, and at least two power levels (high/low).

I'll run it on rechargable NiMH batteries.

I really want it to be waterproof.

I want to spend no more than $75 or so.

Any recommendations? What should I look at these days?

HKJ

Flashaholic
My favorite AAA light is the LiteFlux LF2X, closely followed by the Fenix L0D and LD01.
All 3 are high power flashlights with multiple levels, the level on the LF2X can be programmed and it has a much lower low than Fenix.
The Matterhorn was not a high power light, it is more like a Fenix E01 and the ARC light in power, i.e. low output but long runtime.

DSC_3091.jpg

PS: I like colorful lights, but the lights in the picture, also exists in black and/or neutral.

Centropolis

Enlightened
I've been a happy user of a Peak LED Solutions' Matterhorn Standard Power for years, until I lost it just recently!

Now I'm looking for a replacement in approximately the same form factor - just a bit bigger than a single AAA battery.

I was very happy with the Matterhorn, but it would have been even better if it had had a couple more features: I'd really like a momentary/clicky tail switch, and at least two power levels (high/low).

Any recommendations? What should I look at these days?

The only single AAA flashlights that I know of that has a switch are Leatherman Serac S2 and the Streamlight Microstream. But I forget if they are momentary switches or not.
LF2X is a very nice light and runs on 10440 if you ever want to try that. Cost wise it is LF2X > Serac S2 > Microstream.

deranged_coder

Enlightened

Sounds like the Leatherman Serac S2 will fit these requirements. Powered by 1xAAA, 2 levels, tail switch (not sure if it does momentary, though), water resistant (IPX8 static immersion which implies at least 1 m depth for 30 minutes) and can be bought online for ~$30.

If you are ok with a single light level, the Streamlight MicroStream would be worth a look. I have a couple myself and it would fit your requirements except for the two light levels. My MicroStream rides in my shirt pocket all day and I never notice it is there. It also comes with a nice lanyard if you prefer lanyard carry.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
I have a microstream that I acquired last week. The forward clicky is great for momentary but difficult to depress all the way to click on. The clip seems sturdy enough. I'm currently looking for diffusing options for the plastic lens because its got much too tight of a hotspot for its intended purpose (general, low level illumination/navigation especially at night). Right now I have 4 layers of scotch tape on the lens and it's still too tight.

Great light though, nice matte finish, good build quality, and relatively inexpensive. But, its not 2-mode and I don't know how it'll run on NiMH.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can get a Fenix L0D, LD01 and a Microstream and switch the Microstream head with the L0D/LD01 head. Should still be under $75 total.

The Leatherman S2 and a Lumapower light(I don't remember the model) are the only two lights that I remember that could work for what you want.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like the LOD too, but yeah if you want a switch try the serac.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
I have a microstream that I acquired last week. The forward clicky is great for momentary but difficult to depress all the way to click on.

At the San Jose/Bay Area Get Together last month elumen8 was mentioning he was having the exact same difficulty with his MicroStream when he was showing it to kramer5150. Neither kramer5150 nor I had that same difficulty with engaging the clicky switch.

Turned out that both kramer5150 and I are guitar players so I guess our fingers are a bit stronger than the average person. :shrug:

sprokker

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the suggestions and links! There's a lot of sweet new lights since last time I checked.

I ended up ordering a Leatherman Serac 2. :)

paulr

Flashaholic
I think reliable clickie switches take a lot of space, thus the prevalence of twisties for 1aaa lights that try to be small.

Backpacker Light

Enlightened
:welcome:
I own a (older model) Fenix LOD CE, and it is my favorite light. It is with me during all my waking hours, mainly due to the tiny form factor you are looking for. It is my most fequently used light, because it is always in my pocket, whether I am wearing jeans or a business suit.

Although it is a twisty, it is easily operated with one hand, and it has the other functions you are looking for. Although the newer Q5 version has a stated high of 80 lumens, the short runtime of 1 hour in this mode will find you using the initial two modes most often. It comes on in a "medium" mode of 26 lumens, which is certainly bright enough for most any need. It next switches to the low of 10 lumens. This not being a lower low is the only issue that I have with this light, but it is not a deal breaker.

It has been through my washing machine cycle at least twice, so it is waterproof. I run my LOD on a Eneloop NiMH with no problems.

Although you can find it a couple dollars cheaper elsewhere, I have purchased all of my Fenix lights from 4sevens, and this forum speaks very highly of his customer service and warranty. It is worth going through a quality dealer! Don't forget his discount for CPF members. lovecpf

https://www.fenix-store.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_69_49&products_id=639

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get a Fenix L0D, LD01 and a Microstream and switch the Microstream head with the L0D/LD01 head. Should still be under $75 total. .

YES!!! and then assemble the remaining Microstream LED and L0D body
and have TWO lights!!! I HIGHLY RECCOMEND THIS!:twothumbs

fyi- I've run on 10440s for a couple of years with no probs (knock wood), yet have recently switched back to rechargable AA cells. I seem to have more run time. The 10440 would sometimes last less than a day depending on the use.

good luck!