Looking for a secondary/backup duty light

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Looking for a secondary/backup duty light.

Primary light is a Streamlight Stinger LED DS C4. Works great, at times can be a bit too bright for walking around in the desert at night..... etc. I tend to loose my night vision.

http://streamlight.com/product/product.aspx?pid=164

I have been looking at the above light, however I can't seem to find one anywhere for sale online or locally.

I'm not 100% hungup on that light, but it embodies what I'm looking for. Has the ability to be nice and bright when needed (IE, if my Stinger is dead)..... but also has some red LED's that are not nearly as bright to help preserve the good o'll night vision.

Big requirement for the light is that it is 100% LED - I don't want to worry about a bulb breaking if i drop the light.

Suggestions?

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Re: Need a light suggestion

https://www.lighthound.com/Streamli...LEDs-Aluminum-Body-Tailcap-Switch_p_1843.html

Here ya go! If this doesn't work for ya, you can wait for the Sure Fire A2L. Streamlights are fairly decent lights, but the UI on the night com isn't as user friendly as the SF Aviators.

oh, and :welcome:

I appreciate the link... but
Availability: Out of Stock

Are there any other options in the meantime? .... $200+ on the surefire is a bit more then I was looking to spend.

Last edited:

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Proton Pro - use a cree and a red LED, adjustable output, highly pocketable. Under $60.

Toaster

Enlightened

Take a look at Jetbeam Jet-III M. It has 2 modes. First is fixed max output of ~225 lumens. Second mode is user adjustable and capable of being set incredibly low to preserve your night vision. There's a great review of it here.

HKJ

Flashaholic

The light looks good, however how do you go about activating the red led? If you have to cycle through the "full power" first, that would be a deal breaker. I need to be able to start low - kinda defeats the purpose if it goes full blast first.

A short press on the button turns on the white led at full power, pressing the button again will reduce brightness.

Holding down the button (from off) will slowly turn on the red led.

I.e. the white always comes on at full power and the red always comes on a minimum power.

The brightness adjustment for the two leds are one way only, (White: max to min, red:min to max) to get back to a previous level, you have to turn the light off and then on again.
If you keep holding the button down, your will get into some special modes (Strobe and sos).

Windex

Newly Enlightened
What's the quality like on the proton? I only have experience with pelican, surefire and streamlight.

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not if you want the red LED's and a primary white LED.

If you move awat from the red you can get a small Olight or Fenix; both companies offer red filters and small, well made bright lights. Olight T10/T15, Fenix LD10, LOD, PD10, PD20, etc

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Ok... I give up on the red LED's....

Here's my new "ideal light"

Able to select a lower power beam that won't screw up my night vision when I turn the light on, without screwing my night vision up with a uber high/bright beam.

My streamlight stinger C4 is a great bright light, but the only way to get to the dimmer modes is to cycle down from brightest.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
You can try lights like the Nitecore Defender Infinity and Extreme(loosen = user set output level). IIRC RA and Novatac lights you can set to come on on low or click for it to come on on low. AA and CR123 clickie Fenix lights come on on low when the bezel is slightly loosened, but they weren't meant for tactica use(L, LD, P, PD series) or "low" might still be too bright(TK series). Jetbeam lights with IBS can be set to turn on on low output, so can Liteflux lights.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
You can try lights like the Nitecore Defender Infinity and Extreme(loosen = user set output level). IIRC RA and Novatac lights you can set to come on on low or click for it to come on on low. AA and CR123 clickie Fenix lights come on on low when the bezel is slightly loosened, but they weren't meant for tactica use(L, LD, P, PD series) or "low" might still be too bright(TK series). Jetbeam lights with IBS can be set to turn on on low output, so can Liteflux lights.

I like the looks of this one:
http://www.nitecore.com/products/nex/

No idea how much it costs or where to get it though.

Windex

Newly Enlightened
Need to pick a secondary (backup) duty light.... need help.

I have it down to 2 lights.

My requirements are that I can select between "low" and "high" without turning the light on ideally, although I'll settle for a light that'll let me turn it on low first and high second (preserve night vision at night)

I'm between the Jet IIIM and the NightCore Extreme R2

Thoughts? They cost about the same... performance seems pretty similar.

Primary light is a Streamlight C4 LED DS and I have a mounted weapon light.... so just looking for something to use in the hand that won't take up a ton of room on the duty rig.