The many advantages of... a Maglite!

325addict

Enlightened
Yes, I'm sure some guys here think: "he must be crazy" :grin2:

After reading posts here for about a month, I discovered people think of Maglites that they have had their last days. They are big, heavy, outdated, not bright enough, etc etc etc.

I must admit, they are not as bright and small as those high-tech new LED-lights we all have nowadays, BUT:

1. you know what you have. Maglites are quite reliable, and every 15 hours or so, it needs a new, fairly cheap bulb. That's it!

2. Mags come with a focussable beam. ALL of them! This can't be said for (nearly?) all Surefires, Olights, Fenixes...... and that's a feature I STILL miss on most of those high-tech lights!

3. the good old incan versions have all the right color of the light they put out, this can't be said for 95% of the LED-lights.....

4. Incans CAN have a long runtime.... a Mag D-cell flashlight is a good example. It runs about 10 hours!

5. The incan versions are quite hufter-proof: no blown electronics when you put the batteries in the wrong way (hmmm... Fenix??)

6. the simple UI can't be better in my opinion. Any C or D cell Mag is a truely one-handed light! The switch is in exactly the right place. In fact, this can be said for the AA and the 2AAA-versions too. Only the Solitaire is, due to its size, more a two-handed light.
With ANY of those "clicky" flashlights, you either have to hold it in an awkward way (very high above you, thumb pointing to your back) OR you'll need TWO hands to switch it on or off. Not good!

After about fifteen years of Mag ownership, the worst I ever encountered on any of my 30 Mags is a switch-cap on my eldest 2D that simply went. I got 4 new ones from the Dutch representatives for free.... that's what I call SERVICE, even after 15 years.....

So I still use them a lot (more than once on a daily basis actually) despite having the more sophisticated, brighter lights now.

However, as an EDC most of the Mags are not the best choice I must admit... except for ONE, but that's a different story....

Timmo.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree. Mags are reliable,inexpensive,and bright enough for 99% of the flashlight buying public. Their warranty is top notch. They just updated the led mags with new emitters, and multi-mode drivers while keeping the price the same. When was the last time you heard of a manufacture improving their product while keeping the cost the same? They also are a great host for mods. An upgrade is just a drop in away. Everything from long runtime 3-5mm leds to Malkoff P7. Availible just about anywhere one would shop.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree with that Maglite has it's advantages. I suppose it's a quite unique light. Still the worlds most known quality flashlight. Still attractive for as well normal folks who just want a reliable and functionable light AND for flashoholics. They have not the latest technology but the quality makes them to a favourite host for several manufacturers of dropins.

I have following Maglites: MiniMaglite, 2D, 3D, 6D and MagCharger. Earlier I also had a Solitaire in my keychain, but it was broken.
The 2D has now Terralux dropin, 3D has Malkoff dropin.

MiniMaglite, 6D and MagCharger are not in use. But some day I will make something of the 6D, the battery capacity makes it perfect for real high drain applications...
If I find some charger which can charge the battery of the MagCharger outside the light and at 3-5hours I will consider to get some dropin for it.

Regards, Patric

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before I found this place I thought-Maglite Rules!After a couple of months here I thought-Maglite Sucks!But since I found out about the joys of a Mag623-I now say MAGLITE RULES!:twothumbs

cruisemissile

Enlightened
you both have some good points, my european friends!

I remember going way back with mini-mags. I carried one strapped to my gear in the Army, with a red lens for map reading, it served me well.
that says alot since I was an infantry soldier and enountered many conditions.
I had a D cell in my car, because it doubled as a billy club.
then surefire came along.
I was disappointed in MAG because they rested on their laurels for so long. then when they finally came out with LED's, they didn't change thier design, same old look. I understand there are re-tooling costs, but take a look at the competition.

anyway, I still have a couple mini-mags around the house. One , I bought for my 5 year old.
back during the holidays, when there were really good deals on MAG LEDs at Lowe's , I bought a mini-mag LED, which is in my wife's car (actually, she has a PENTAGONLIGHT L2 in her emergency kit wth spare c123's), and the MAG D cell LED is in our kitchen. It was very bright at first, then tapered off. Anyway, its got good run time. Its a bit large obviously, but still has a place in our home.
they have their pros and cons. they remind me of Zippo lighters-, simple and classic. while there are higher performing , fancy products out there, they still what they do in a classic, reliable way.

StandardBattery

Flashlight Enthusiast

2. Mags come with a focussable beam. ALL of them! This can't be said for (nearly?) all Surefires, Olights, Fenixes...... and that's a feature I STILL miss on most of those high-tech lights!

3. the good old incan versions have all the right color of the light they put out, this can't be said for 95% of the LED-lights.....

6. the simple UI can't be better in my opinion. ...

You have some good points, but all of them have quite a bit of Grey area and that's why there is always lots of discussion about MagLights.

I'll just comment on the above, but I could comment on all of them.

I personally have found the focusable beam of the Maglight pretty much useless because the beam qualities other than coverage also change. So this point I just think it should not be in the list.

The Tint/Color Temp/Spectrum of the incans in Maglights are far from ideal. In some uses they are better than many early LED, but I sure hope people don't consider this the reference... that would be just as sad as a purple LED. Eventually LEDs will surpass the Incan in CRI, and will probably be available perfectly adapted to each use... so I have to score LED on this one.

The UI is simple, and it's a great feature. There should be more lights also using the same switch position, its much more natural for some people and uses. However it is not the UI for all lights, infact once a Light as more than a few Lumes output multiple levels (even 2) really increase its utility. Some applications suit single level output, but they are limited.

However, as an EDC most of the Mags are not the best choice I must admit ...

This is probably the main reason that here the old Mag is limited to niche status and is considered a dinosaur and mostly the subject of mods. Most of the conversation here is about EDC or it's close cousins.

325addict

Enlightened
Well, the spot-to-flood option is still - in my opinion - one of the best properties of a Mag, although beam quality may not be perfect. In real life, however, it functions very well.

The color of the light: I ALWAYS run them from NiCd or NiMH-batteries that don't die slowly, making the light more yellow every minute you use it :(
Using these rechargeables, and Halogen lamps instead of the standard lamps, make it a very useful light with good color rendition.
In a 3D I use Halogen 4V / 0,85A bulbs by Osram. They are really good, don't have too high a drain, so the runtime is still more than 9 hours (with 8Ah NiMH)

The user interface... well, if there's only one mode, you don't need fancy buttons and/or places for the switch :whistle:

And then Surefire came! Indeed, fantastic, flawless quality, gorgeous looks, built like a tank (just as a Mag is built...), and unbelievably bright, with perfect beam.
BUT: there's ONE drawback on all these fine incan Surefires... the RUNTIME :shakehead
An hour is the most you'll get from your 6P, 9P, C2, C3 etc etc. And only when equipped with the standard (P60 or P90) lamp.... put in a P61 or P91 lamp and runtime goes down to a ridiculous, not-useful-anymore 20 minutes!
For everyday use, this will become a very expensive habit indeed.... burning 3 CR123s in your C3 in an hour.....
Here, the Mag 3D or even 2AA comes much friendlier for the wallet... hours and hours of runtime from standard batteries!

Of course, this is not to say that I don't like Surefires a lot.... I actually bought a C3 a week ago! The only thing I need now to really enjoy it is 4X an AW 17500 cell and a decent charger :thumbsup:

Timmo.

firefly99

Enlightened
All the points mentioned by TS are well know facts on CPF forum, nothing to get excited.

Ordinary folks on the street would believe Maglites is the best flashlight money can buy. Many years ago, I had the same idea too.

I disagreed with the following statement:
Mags come with a focussable beam. ALL of them! This can't be said for (nearly?) all ... those high-tech lights
In its heyday, the focusing beam of the Mag is an innovation. But its beam was horrible, always had a black spot. Current generation of high tech flashlight
can project a flawless beam, hence there is no need for an adjustable focusing beam.

I lost counts of how many times Maglites had failed me when I need a light. All it could offer was no light or a weak dying beam for a few minutes before leaving me in the dark. I lost counts of the number of Maglites I had disposed due to battery leakages.

I remember when I was a young soldier, I always leave behind the issued 2D plastic L shape flashlight and bring along my personal 2AA mini Maglite. Before deploying for field exercises, I always ensure my gears are ready. This include making sure flashlight had fresh batteries, bulb is functional, etc. However, my 2AA mini Maglite was always not bright enough or the bulb would quit unexpectedly.

To be fair, I think it is a great idea to include a spare bulb within the flashlight, under the spring on the Maglite tailcap.

Last edited:

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
They aren't cutting edge, but I don't need to stock cutting edge in every pile of gear I have.

Maglite pros:
1. Idiot simple operation
2. Solid construction
3. Use commonly available and cheap batteries
4. Readily available almost anywhere, even the LED modules
5. Respectable output and run time

As a "general use" light, it's outstanding - particularly for the price point, output/run time and availability.

And, on the bright side, it cuts down on unnecessary wear and tear on my high-end lights. :huh:

-Trevor

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
About the focusable beam of Maglites.
I suppose it was a usable function when they first were introduced, mainly because of the dim spill I think, and you could widen the hotspot. (for the price of a black hole in the center)
Nowadays with the smooth and bright beams of the new flashlights/dropins I hardly can se a need of focusable beam, however. Using Malkoff dropin to my 3D I have as well an intense hotspot and a bright even illuminated spill. No need for focusing, in my opinion. Therefore I doubtly agree with that the focusable beam of Maglite would be an advantage today.

Regards, Patric

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
is a good thing to mod.

I have a Malkoff device in one. With NIMH cells, it just seems to never die.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
etc,

I consider to get NiMh D cells to my Maglite. But I think they will provide a less bright beam the first hour(s) than alkalines, or?

Regards, Patric

Marduke

Flashaholic
1. you know what you have. Maglites are quite reliable, and every 15 hours or so, it needs a new, fairly cheap bulb. That's it!

4. Incans CAN have a long runtime.... a Mag D-cell flashlight is a good example. It runs about 10 hours!

5. The incan versions are quite hufter-proof: no blown electronics when you put the batteries in the wrong way (hmmm... Fenix??)

6. the simple UI can't be better in my opinion. Any C or D cell Mag is a truely one-handed light! The switch is in exactly the right place. In fact, this can be said for the AA and the 2AAA-versions too. Only the Solitaire is, due to its size, more a two-handed light.
With ANY of those "clicky" flashlights, you either have to hold it in an awkward way (very high above you, thumb pointing to your back) OR you'll need TWO hands to switch it on or off. Not good!

To expand on a few of your statements:

1) No bulb replacement necessary ever with LED.

3) That is purely personal preference. But most people I talk to much prefer crisp white over **** yellow for their flashlight beam if they have a choice. If that's your thing, they do make what's called a "warm tint" LED.

4) And you can get the same brightness AND the same runtime (or better) out of a 2xAA light also.

5) There is this little thing called "reversed polarity protection". Try doing some research next time.

6) Huh?? You don't exactly have to practice yoga to use a flashlight. Using the light to just turn on or off (same as Mag), you NEVER have to use two hands. To switch modes (on either a Mag or other light), you have a choice. All of my multi-mode lights can be operated with one hand. Where the switch is located is again personal preference. Many if not more people find tailcap switches faster and easier to use than side switches, hence one reason they are more popular.

Last edited:

p1fiend

Newly Enlightened
Not many other lights function as:

1. Weapon - SF "defenders" got nothing on a 3/4 D Mag
2. Hammer
3. Bed-side assistance - combines the best of a flashlight and bat

I plan on always having a MAG by my bed, and most likely it's gonna be the same one till the day I die.

metlarules

Flashlight Enthusiast
To expand on a few of your statements:

1) No bulb replacement necessary ever with LED.

3) That is purely personal preference. But most people I talk to much prefer crisp white over **** yellow for their flashlight beam if they have a choice. If that's your thing, they do make what's called a "warm tint" LED.

4) And you can get the same brightness AND the same runtime (or better) out of a 2xAA light also.

5) There is this little thing called "reversed polarity protection". Try doing some research next time.

6) Huh?? You don't exactly have to practice yoga to use a flashlight. Using the light to just turn on or off (same as Mag), you NEVER have to use two hands. To switch modes (on either a Mag or other light), you have a choice. All of my multi-mode lights can be operated with one hand. Where the switch is located is again personal preference. Many if not more people find tailcap switches faster and easier to use than side switches, hence one reason they are more popular.
1) Same as a Magled
3)Most of the talk about led tint on the led forum these days centers around neutral tint leds
4) I can get WAY more runtime and brightness out of a 2d than 2aa any day
5) I agree. The little button thingy goes forward :D (Unless its an Inova than reverse them)
6) A lot of the small china lights out today you turn it on at the tail switch and then have to twist the head to swap modes. It would be easier to turn on and swap modes with the same switch like Mags. This is more personal preference than anything.

325addict

Enlightened
@ Swedpat: there's not too much difference. Alkalines very rapidly go back to about 1,3V/cell and then there's virtually no difference anymore.

@ Marduke:

1. this is true. LEDs don't break down.

3. Warm tint LEDs are still not readily available in every light. Most of them still have that horrible, white-blueish tint.

4. Yes, this is true too, but now we're talking LEDs again, which I for certain applications don't like. Try to go into the woods with your Fenix P1D, despite it throws out 180 Lumens, any maglite 3D will have a more usable light when it's wet, as you try to see something in that muddy dark brown/dark green surroundings.

5. I read a review: in this it was stated that the P1D at least DOESN'T HAVE such a protection. I know, for example, the Olight M20 warrior has one. However, I can't find that review anymore...

6. The position of the switch on the back is still very awkward for me. Try to hold such a flashlight in the NORMAL way one would hold it (just grab it, and point it to the object you want to shine on) an THEN try to switch it on!
Euhhhhh..... difficult, isn't it? You must first somehow move your fingers to the back (a very un-natural movement) OR (and that's quicker) just switch it on with the other hand....
No, ergonomically spoken this design is a DISASTER. (For normal, everyday use, I'm not talking about certain tactical things you might also do with a flashlight).
Here Maglite "D" simplicity and design simply "outshines" all others :p

Timmo.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Recently I have gone back to maglites. For EDC I carry either a 2AA MagLED or a 2AA Minimaglite, for inside use I use a 2C Maglite w/Maglite Xenon bulb and, for outside I use a 5 D Maglite. I previously used a Surefire 6p but the bulbs and batteries are rather expensive, hard to find, and don't seem to last.

balou

Enlightened
After reading posts here for about a month, I discovered people think of Maglites that they have had their last days. They are big, heavy, outdated, not bright enough, etc etc etc.
Yes, that's more or less what I think of Maglites ;). Especially if you consider the absolutely ridiculous european prices you have to pay for it.

I must admit, they are not as bright and small as those high-tech new LED-lights we all have nowadays, BUT:

That's not what I'd call reliable. I don't even have to change batteries in my light after 15 hours. And you have two things to worry about, batteries and bulbs. And hot, white-glowing tungsten filaments tend to break easily...

Oh yeah, you have the choice of a strange looking small hotspot (I want a hotspot, not a funny-picture-projector), or a donut shaped defocussed beam. And nobody keeps you from installing a simple diffuser on a LED light.
LED lights come with brightness adjustable beam. Almost ALL of them (all I'd consider)! This can't be said for nearly all Maglites, Tekna lights, Surefire incans. I ALWAYS miss that on incans :p

Yes, maglites have bright nice white beam... for 10minutes. Then it's an orange beam for the rest of the time... At least LEDs have a cool white beam all the time, at the same brightness. (save for the 5% warm white LEDs)

Basically same answer as above. Yes, 10h, but with vastly decreased brightness.

5. The incan versions are quite hufter-proof: no blown electronics when :you put the batteries in the wrong way (hmmm... Fenix??)
Yes, but blown bulbs on startup :p
And more and more LED lights have polarity protection.

Well... do you mean switch position or UI?
UI... well, it provides on and off. Not that thrilling.
Switch position: Ok, you don't like holding your light at waist level. Others do - I for one prefer the thumb-backwards grip. The light is approximately at eye level, meaning that you see much less distracting shadows. At waist level, the light does not illuminate your field of view.
Oh, and with my Nitecore D10, you can use it one handed at waist level, by turning the head for on/off switching, as you can do with many other LED lights.

By the way, here's my source for my claims about ringy hotspot and sharp brightness falloff:
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/maglite_3d.htm

As you see, I don't really see many advantages in using a maglite ;)

325addict

Enlightened
That often mentioned problem of "quite bright - for 10 minutes" can be fully forgotten when using rechargeables. They start with a decent brightness - and KEEP it that way, until more than 95% depleted.

When holding a flashlight the way you mention (arms high up, thumb facing backwards) it get bloodless arms in less than 10 minutes. That's a no-go for me. I want to hold a flashlight in a normal convenient way :grin2:

That ringy flood etc etc has been mentioned a thousand times I think. It may be a theoretical imperfection - in practice it just works! The "spot-to-flood" option is - for me! - still one of the very best Maglite properties.

And regarding the lamp: a Halogen lamp lasts longer - it's not so overdriven as the original. In fact, in my case, even a little underdriven (a 4V bulb with 3 NiMH batteries, giving 1,24V each, meaning 3,72V average).
The first one has to die still. i think, taking everything into account, it will live for 40 to 50 hours.

Timmo.