Adventure Medical Bivvy & Poncho Liners Questions

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all!

I was wondering has anyone had any experience with the Adventure Medical Outdoors Bivvis (the Thermo lite 2.0 Emergency Bivvy and the Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy)

What are their differences in specs and performance.

I understand that the Heatsheets Emergency Bivvy is a reinforce space blanket in a bag form, but what about the ThermoLite???? (what are the materials? does it come in red or silver on teh outside?)

ALSO...

what is a poncho liner? And how does it team with a poncho to for a shelter?
Any links?

thank you all, Kostas

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
ALSO...

what is a poncho liner? And how does it team with a poncho to for a shelter?
Any links?

thank you all, Kostas

In effect it's a light blanket with ties at the corners. It's got nylon exterior with polyester batting inside. It's light and can be compressed pretty well. You can tie in to the grommets on the corners of a standard US military issued poncho. If you do, that adds the poncho as as external layer for wind and water resistance. Using the snaps on the poncho you can make an expedient sleeping bag.

As a team it's a marginal sleeping bag by design not a shelter. It's not normally even used that way. The poncho is most useful fashioned into a make shift shelter. Then you can sleep with your poncho liner if the weather is only moderately cool.

I've seen poncho liners with upgraded (Thinsulate?) liners. I've also heard of modifying them with neck holes (so you could wear an insulated poncho) and with zippers (light sleeping bag without the poncho). Mostly they are blankets.

mbassoc2003

Newly Enlightened
My Thermo-Lite 2 ships Monday. I'll let you know what it's like when it arrives. I already have an AMS emergancy bivvy bag and heatsheet, so this completes their set. First impressions from spec' are that the Thermo-Lite 2 is a bulkier version of the Emergancy Bivvy, but I'll let you know.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hmmm thanks for the heads-up!

In the meantime I asked elsewhere and from the reply I got the impression that if you got to choose from one of the you better go with the thermolite. So I have one on order now pending shipment....

But I will still need your impressions comparing the two...
TNX, Kostas