ipod touch software update question

2000xlt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i got a pop up saying that the following are available
bonjour for windows

mobileme control panel

safari

the boxes where you check which ones you want,,the first one is already checked.

Does anyone have opions on this?

Thanks

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just got the same pop-up just now. I just unchecked the checkbox and hit the Quit button. They're trying to install Bonjour for Windows on your computer, which is some sort of network software sharing software that I don't want on my computer.

greg_in_canada

Flashlight Enthusiast
You probably don't need any of them. Bonjour is, I think, what PCC said. Mobileme control panel isn't needed unless you have a mobileme account with Apple. And Safari is a web browser (comes standard with Macs and iPhones & iPod touches, also available for PCs).

Greg

bobski

Newly Enlightened
They're trying to install Bonjour for Windows on your computer, which is some sort of network software sharing software
More or less. It's a sort of network services browser system. If you have an Apple wireless router and connect a printer and/or USB hard drive to it, bonjour finds those services and makes them available. I'm not sure how well integrated the Windows version of bonjour is, but in Mac OS, shared printers automatically show up in the print dialog box, and devices with shared drives or folders automatically show up on finder window sidebars (finder = windows explorer, functionally speaking). It just makes connecting to shared services easier. iChat (Apple's IM program) also uses bonjour to find users on the local network so you don't need an external server to text, video chat or whatever. Really, bonjour's integration is a big part of it's usefulness IMO.

Last edited: