Polarion PH40 (PH50?) Questions

BVH

Flashaholic
I had a PH40 and the quality is outstanding, every bit on-par with Surefire. They are a beautiful instrument to hold and use.

Only available up to this point, in black. There were some pics floating around here on CPF of a polished raw metal light. IIRC, the owner and CPF member, removed the black and polished his to a beautiful shine.

New PH50's are no longer available. You might get lucky and find one for sale in the Marketplace, but they are few and far between.

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 The quality is first rate. I too, am "anal" about the quality of expensive lights and, for a light with this price point, I believe I am completely justified. Get one, you'll find it you most favored high-power light and find you use it vs look at it.

Karl

TheGreyEminence

Newly Enlightened
Both the PH40 and the PH50 are a true piece of art...
You just can´t imagine the power of one or the other untill you have seen it yourself "in the field" :D
Unbelieveable Power for this somehow small reflector....Congrats Polarion!
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Regards....

Patriot

Flashaholic
The Polarion lights are sleek, ergonomic rugged and set the performance standard for lights of that size while outperforming some which are much larger. I'd rate it on par with Surefire in the area of quality, fit and finish.

A while back, Ken Good of Polarion offered to put the PH40 up against the Beast II for performance and possible destruction testing if someone would supply one. There were never any takers, but it does show you that he has confidence in his products.

This thread has some further first impressions and build details:
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/196233

cue003

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have owned the PF40 and now the PH50 as well as an a**load of surefire lights big and small. I am in agreement with all other statements of the PH50 being on par with SF as far as quality etc.

DM51

Flashaholic
I would endorse what the others have said - the quality is excellent. They are tough, and take a lot of hard use. I've also taken my PH40 diving, down to ~40 m (~130 ft) although that is not recommended.

CajunJosh

Newly Enlightened
I've had a PH50 out on patrol with me for several months now and although I do try and baby it and keep it in its case it has survived the bumps and bruises that any light in our profession does and I haven't had a hiccup yet.

Reflector

Newly Enlightened
I've had a PH50 out on patrol with me for several months now and although I do try and baby it and keep it in its case it has survived the bumps and bruises that any light in our profession does and I haven't had a hiccup yet.

I Second that! I have used the PH40 on patrol for some time, and it is a force to be reckoned with. The build quality is on par with SF, no doubt about that.

Not long ago I went on a call where a guy was trying to dig under the walls to a local detention facility. I shone the light at him from 50 yards and to my big surprise he started screaming, dropped his shovel, covered his face, stumbled back and fell to the ground. He later told me the light was so bright and overwhelming he didn't know what hit him.

You will not be disappointed with Polarion.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Heya,
One more question here... is the finish on the PH and the PF the same?

I.e. does the PF-40/50 have the same colour/finish/look as the version with the handle i.e. the PH-40/50? I'm only asking because it looks different from the photos I have seen online... but then photos are photos and lighting could have been a factor in making the lights look different.

To my knowledge the finishes are identical. The CPF member pictures of the black PF-40 looked exactly like the PH-40/50. I'm very pleased with the finish on Polarion lights.

BVH

Flashaholic
I thought that way too, before I bought my handled version. Lots of people had the same thoughts. IIRC, most who bought lights without handles were not as happy with them as those with handles. Some sold them and bought handled versions.

Last edited:

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the PH50 and can't speak with much authority about the PF version but I know of one member here who felt the PF was just too large in diameter to hold comfortably for much more than a few minutes. I wouldn't let form and appearance overtake the need for function here and I do agree that while it can be slung over your shoulder as withone of your cameras, that may be overkill--the light really isn't THAT big. Unless you have "paws" (hands) like a pro basketball player, you might well want to rethink your choice. That decision though clearly is yours. These are fine lights as I said.

Karl