Why are NiMH 1.2v instead of 1.5v

jaygrant

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so it's another dumb question, but I haven't seen the answer yet. I'm sure it's probably here somewhere, but I can't find it.

Why are NiMH batteries 1.2v instead of 1.5v? If they are supposed to be a replacement for Alkaline, why not 1.5v? I can't believe it's a technology issue. Maybe a marketing issue, to keep Alkaline alive, so why 1.2v?

Thanks, and it also goes for all the Li-ion, LiFe and others, why not have them standardized? I'm not educated enough to go figure it out myself, but it seems strange that we have to have 3.0v, 3.2v, 3.7v, etc.....

It sure would be a lot easier if they were standardized, wouldn't it?

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, so it's another dumb question, but I haven't seen the answer yet. I'm sure it's probably here somewhere, but I can't find it.

Why are NiMH batteries 1.2v instead of 1.5v? If they are supposed to be a replacement for Alkaline, why not 1.5v? I can't believe it's a technology issue. Maybe a marketing issue, to keep Alkaline alive, so why 1.2v?

Thanks, and it also goes for all the Li-ion, LiFe and others, why not have them standardized? I'm not educated enough to go figure it out myself, but it seems strange that we have to have 3.0v, 3.2v, 3.7v, etc.....

Yes, it is indeed a dumb question. Why is the sky blue and not red? Why are plants green and not blue? Why aren't humans all the same size? It would be a lot easier for clothing manufacturers if all humans were standardized, wouldn't it? :)

Last edited:

jaygrant

Newly Enlightened
Yes, it is indeed a dumb question. Why is the sky blue and not red? Why are plants green and not blue? Why aren't humans all the same size? It would be a lot easier for clothing manufacturers if all humans were standardized, wouldn't it?

Thank you so much, it's why I hardly ever post here.:stupid:

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry about the tone of my response. It was meant in good humor.

Sometimes it does astonish me though that people think the laws of physics can be bent according to human will. The reality is that the laws of the universe are what they are. Science consists of discovering them and documenting them, and engineering consists of using them to best advantage.

The voltage of a battery is completely determined by the chemicals within it. You cannot change the voltage without changing the chemicals, and if you change the chemicals the battery may no longer work as desired.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Thanks.

So the chemistry couldn't have been manipulated for a .3v difference in the result. Hmmmmm.:thinking:

You also have to realize how those numbers are calculated. Alkaline 1.5v is peak voltage. Under load, they almost immediately sag below 1.2-1.3v.

NiMH start out around 1.38v, and maintain >1.2v under heavy load. Compared to alkaline, they will maintain a higher voltage under load over the majority of a discharge.

And yes, it's simply because of the chemistry. Each electrochemical battery type has it's own unique nominal voltage produced. The chemical cocktail used is what decided the voltage. It's much easier to make good cells and adapt to their voltage than to standardize on a single voltage and suffer crappy cells which are negatively altered to produce ONLY that voltage.

MorePower

Enlightened
Thanks.

So the chemistry couldn't have been manipulated for a .3v difference in the result. Hmmmmm.:thinking:

Nope. It has to do with the reduction potentials of the materials used in the various types of cells. To change the voltage, you'd have to change the materials, and if you change the materials then you no longer have (for instance) an NiMH cell.

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
The theoretical voltage is a function of the composition of the active materials in the anode and cathode for the cell.

For a NiMH cell, you have:

Anode, MH
Cathode, NiOOH (nickel oxyhydride)

During discharge, the cathode is reduced to nickel hydroxide and the anode oxided to metal alloy M:

NiOOH + H2O + e ->Ni(OH)2 + OH-, E = 0.52V
MH + OH- -> M + H2O + e, E = 0.83V

The overall reaction is

MH + NiOOH -> M + Ni(OH)2, E = 1.35V

The anode potential above assumes a particular wt% of H2. The nominal voltage is typically given as 1.2V, but it depends on temperature and discharge current. You get a voltage drop under load because of non-zero internal impedence of the cell itself, producing a V=IR voltage drop.

Last edited:

Itchrelief

Newly Enlightened

Same reason full-size SUVs don't get 100mpg. It's a conspiracy by the man to keep the common folk down.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You also have to realize how those numbers are calculated. Alkaline 1.5v is peak voltage. Under load, they almost immediately sag below 1.2-1.3v.

NiMH start out around 1.38v, and maintain >1.2v under heavy load. Compared to alkaline, they will maintain a higher voltage under load over the majority of a discharge.

And yes, it's simply because of the chemistry. Each electrochemical battery type has it's own unique nominal voltage produced. The chemical cocktail used is what decided the voltage. It's much easier to make good cells and adapt to their voltage than to standardize on a single voltage and suffer crappy cells which are negatively altered to produce ONLY that voltage.

That's an awesome answer.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC Rayovac had some 1.5v rechargables. Don't know if they still make them, but I had some AAA's. I think they called them rechargable Aliklines or something?

Also Nimh's when full charged can reach 1.5v. If they were rated at 1.5v, they would probably be like 1.8v off the charger and perhaps for some sensitive devices, this wouldn't be good.

cave dave

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC Rayovac had some 1.5v rechargables. Don't know if they still make them, but I had some AAA's. I think they called them rechargable Aliklines or something?

The performance was terrible, much lower than a regular alkaline. Each time they were used they lost capacity and they were extremely prone to leaking as well. What's not to love?

Grog

Enlightened
The 1.2v VS 1.5v is what keeps my LED grill lights (to be used on a cooking unit, not an automobile) from working on eneloops :thinking:

Ok, with three batteries it is 3.6v VS 4.5v so that is a little more of a difference :D

drmaxx

Enlightened

I think this is a very good question. Why are they labelled differently? Neither Alkaline nor NiMH are 1.5 or 1.2 V, respectively. In most application the nominal voltage of NiMH are higher then in alkalines. NiMH initial voltage is somewhere >1.4 V. Where is the logic here? It seems that the labelling convention for primaries and rechargables are different.

The only reason I can spot for making this 1.5/1.2 V distinction is to make clear that you are dealing with different kind of batteries? Or may be NiMH users are smarter and can handle the truth better?:naughty:

Has anybody some insight on this? I don't think the "It's chemistry man!" quite cut it with AA batteries.