Olight M20 3.0V RCR123's or 3.6V RCR123's ?

sbdwag

Newly Enlightened
Which is better for this Flashlight and why are there two different standard voltages for this type of battery

Regards
sbdwag

sbdwag

Newly Enlightened
Just curious. Is this a dumb question. Ive searched for an answer and found nothing except not to mix chargers. I understand cr123 primarys are 3.0 volts. Is there any disavantage to supply between 7.2 and 8.4 volts to the light? You are probably dropping 1 or 2 watts of power using 3.6V Li-ions but would that generate any additional heat in the circuit or does the M20 use that additional voltage. What type of devices need to see a max of 6.0 volts? Are there any flashlights out there that use Li-ions 3.0 V and not Li-ion 3.6 volt batteries.

Many questions. Any knowledge would be appreciated.

regards
sbdwag

phantom23

Flashlight Enthusiast
It doesn't matter for M20 because it has very efficient circuit so difference between 7,2 and 8,4V is marginal. Assuming that 3,7V RCR has more capacity that 3,0V one (2,25 vs. 1,35 Wh) you'll get significantly longer runtime with them.

Frankiarmz

Enlightened
I just wanted to say thanks for the question and answer. I have been using Tenergy RCR123A's rated at 3.7 volts in my Olight T-20's and my Ultrafire A1, but now I will give the 3.0volt RCR's a try since they seem to be more available. Too bad they have such low MAH's compared to other batteries.