ArmyTek
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Streamlight Scorpion?

Flashaholic*

Default Streamlight Scorpion?

I'm thinking of getting a Streamlight Scorpion. Is it a good light also does anyone know if its assembled in the USA? I know some Streamlights are and some aren't.
    All you need is Maglite.

Flashaholic*

Default Re: Streamlight Scorpion?

It's an oldie, but still has features some of us like. I happen to like the rubber jacket and clickie; others don't. I also like the SureFire G2, which has a Nitrolon body and a twist-on tail switch.

I've yet to upgrade these with LED drop-ins because I prefer the incandescent beam which seems as bright with better color rendering.

The Scorp had been US made, but I don't know about now. SL is an American company with good service, so a Chinese light from them would probably be of decent quality.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Flashaholic*

Just saw a Brinkman LX for $8 in the BST section.
    I'm absolutely certain that I need another flashlight.

Flashaholic*

How does the Scorpion compare to a Surefire 6p?
    All you need is Maglite.

Here is the answer :
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...t_scorpion.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...urefire_6p.htm

Scorpion seems to throw better than a 6P ! But a SUREFIRE has the advantage of the modularity .
    I would get a PELICAN M6 2320 over those 2 if I am planning to use the light as an incandescent one only :
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6.htm

There's the old incandescent type Scorpion -- we got a pair of those as our first really bright reliable flashlights years ago. They served fine (except if you keep one on very long it will make a little melted spot on the plastic 'lens' over the bulb!). There's no upgrade to LED for them. Ours now are in the junk drawer, haven't used them since I learned about the LEDmuseum, Arc Flashlights, and CPF years ago.

Streamlight also has a LED Scorpion model, but it isn't parts-compatible, can't just replace the head or bulb holder, have to buy a whole new flashlight. But I've decided never to buy another a 2-lithium-battery flashlight, figuring there's just no need to go there.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by radu1976 View Post
    Here is the answer :
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...t_scorpion.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/rev...urefire_6p.htm

Scorpion seems to throw better than a 6P ! But a SUREFIRE has the advantage of the modularity .
    I would get a PELICAN M6 2320 over those 2 if I am planning to use the light as an incandescent one only :
    http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6.htm
    The M6 is out unfortunately of my price range. Just out of curiosity is it American made?
    All you need is Maglite.

I suspect it's made in China but PELICAN is an american brand !
    PELICAN M6 is in the same price range with the SCORPION. You can get one for around 30$ on e-bay.
    If you plan an extending use on it it's advisable to change the stock plastic lense with a glass one. www.flashlightlens.com

Unenlightened

Hi,

I just spoke to the people at Streamlight and they told me the Scorpion is entirely made in the USA. I am getting one as a replacement for a Tasklight 2-L that I've had for a few years and on which the switch has failed TWICE with very minimal use. I told them it was a bad situation and bad for SL's reputation. The service rep agreed and is sending me the Scorpion for free. Apparently the 2-L was made in China.

I hope it's a good light. I saw another poster's remarks about the lithium batteries and I would tend to agree except that I bought about a dozen of them when I bought the Tasklight so actually I'm wanting a replacement that uses them.

a light made in US may also fail in the same manner. It isn't where its made, its the quality control behind it. A US company with poor QC is inferior to a China made light with high QC

Streamlight Scorpion worked well for Tom Hanks in Castaway. His mistake was not checking the dead guy for extra batteries before burying him.

Quote Originally Posted by Howecollc View Post
    Streamlight Scorpion worked well for Tom Hanks in Castaway. His mistake was not checking the dead guy for extra batteries before burying him.
    I always thought that was SF 6P. Can't bear the thought having to watch it again to verify it though.

I've got the DVD. I never could tell what it was until somebody on here identified it; then it was easy to go back and verify. I did initially rule out the 6P due to Hanks clicking the light on and off.
    Last edited by Howecollc; 03-06-2009 at 05:40 PM.

o rly?
    Cast Away? Scorpion?
    I need to watch it again

Flashaholic*

I have that DVD. I actually bought it to se what flashlight was on there... I couldn't tell.
    All you need is Maglite.

american lockpicker,

Are you aware of the Streamlight Scorpion with TL-3 lamp mod? You can use RCR123s or IMR123s.

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/...12&postcount=9

american lockpicker,

Are you aware of the Streamlight Scorpion with TL-3 lamp mod? You can use RCR123s or IMR123s.

I guess you could use a TL-3 bulb in a TL-2 too right ?
    However the new modified TL-2/SCORPION won't have the same throw as a TL-3 as the the reflector is smaller . The runtime would be considerably shorter using 2RCRs instead of 2x17500 cells
    Last edited by radu1976; 03-08-2009 at 07:03 PM.

american lockpicker,

Don't try it if your going to use it as a duty light, it burnt a hole through the middle of the polycarbonate window on mine after one full run too many....I sold it last year to fund something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Illum_the_nation View Post
    Don't try it if your going to use it as a duty light, it burnt a hole through the middle of the polycarbonate window on mine after one full run too many....I sold it last year to fund something else...
    Will the glass lens from a Strion fit in a Scorpion, and does the Scorpion have an aluminum reflector like the Strion does? I've never seen a Scorpion up close (other than once in a campground bathroom in Texas).

I've got the DVD. I never could tell what it was until somebody on here identified it; then it was easy to go back and verify. I did initially rule out the 6P due to Hanks clicking the light on and off.
    Yeah, it sure was a SL Scorpion. It's been discussed over in the "flashlights in movies" thread.

I own it on blu-ray and it's super clear.

American lock picker, it's nice to hear that streamlight took care care of you. You'll have to let us know if it meets your expectations.

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    Yeah, it sure was a SL Scorpion. It's been discussed over in the "flashlights in movies" thread.

I own it on blu-ray and it's super clear.

American lock picker, it's nice to hear that streamlight took care care of you. You'll have to let us know if it meets your expectations.

It'll be a few weeks before I order one but I'll let you know how I like it. I know the on/off switch will be an improvement over my current flashlight the Surefire 6p.
    All you need is Maglite.

Anyone know if the new C4 Scorpion can use R123s, or a 17670?
    The Phaser: A nice EDC with great throw; heat and runtime can be issues.

Best Diffusion Film!

Flashaholic*

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post

It uses 2 CR123A batteries.
    All you need is Maglite.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaserburn View Post
    I was told not to use RCRs in my STREAMLIGHT TL-2 C4 ...which is pretty much same light like SCORPION. I am sure 17670 would fit and work fine but I am not sure about regulation
    It's like INOVA : feeded with 17670 it lacks of regulation.

The Scorpion, a very good light but times are changing and I just replaced mine bought in 1996 by a Nightcore Defender Infinity. Throw is similar but the NDI is smaller, can be used on low and more important runs on AA NiMH so I can use it all the time. One AA charge gives me the same running time as a pair of CR123, speak about saving !

Will the glass lens from a Strion fit in a Scorpion, and does the Scorpion have an aluminum reflector like the Strion does? I've never seen a Scorpion up close (other than once in a campground bathroom in Texas).

one of those annoying things with the scorpion is, compared to the 6P possesses very little modding capability. the entire head is press fit, meaning the window/reflector/reflector damper cannot be removed without destroying the head. so that allows you to use only lamps that fit in the bezel and batteries that will fit in the tube. While the 6P, partially successful because its a classic, but mainly because it makes the most cost-effective host for P60 type drop-ins

Flashaholic*

Well I ordered one from Amazon so it should arrive this week sometime.
    All you need is Maglite.

Scorpion was my gateway to flashahaulicsism. I though Mags were the bomb; and they were 25 years ago!

LEDS rule these days. I can't wait for my first SF, and presently only dream of a custom McGizmo. Save, save save, and don't tell the wife.

Flashaholic*

I've wanted one ever since seeing it on Castaway in the theaters.
    All you need is Maglite.

The SL Scorpion is a classic that not-too-long-ago was one of the brightest, compact, lights that you could buy.

I doubt I'll ever sell mine.

At one time, Lighthound.com was selling modified Scorpions. The barrels were bored out to accept an 18650, and a Strion bulb was put into the head. Someone handy with tools should be able to do the same thing.
    "The World is insane. With tiny spots of sanity, here and there... Not the other way around!" - John Cleese.