Streamlight Scorpion?

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's an oldie, but still has features some of us like. I happen to like the rubber jacket and clickie; others don't. I also like the SureFire G2, which has a Nitrolon body and a twist-on tail switch.

I've yet to upgrade these with LED drop-ins because I prefer the incandescent beam which seems as bright with better color rendering.

The Scorp had been US made, but I don't know about now. SL is an American company with good service, so a Chinese light from them would probably be of decent quality.

radu1976

Enlightened

hank

Flashlight Enthusiast
There's the old incandescent type Scorpion -- we got a pair of those as our first really bright reliable flashlights years ago. They served fine (except if you keep one on very long it will make a little melted spot on the plastic 'lens' over the bulb!). There's no upgrade to LED for them. Ours now are in the junk drawer, haven't used them since I learned about the LEDmuseum, Arc Flashlights, and CPF years ago.

Streamlight also has a LED Scorpion model, but it isn't parts-compatible, can't just replace the head or bulb holder, have to buy a whole new flashlight. But I've decided never to buy another a 2-lithium-battery flashlight, figuring there's just no need to go there.

american lockpicker

Enlightened
Here is the answer :
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpion.htm

http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/surefire_6p.htm

Scorpion seems to throw better than a 6P ! But a SUREFIRE has the advantage of the modularity .
I would get a PELICAN M6 2320 over those 2 if I am planning to use the light as an incandescent one only :
http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pelican_m6.htm

The M6 is out unfortunately of my price range. Just out of curiosity is it American made?

radu1976

Enlightened
I suspect it's made in China but PELICAN is an american brand !
PELICAN M6 is in the same price range with the SCORPION. You can get one for around 30$ on e-bay.
If you plan an extending use on it it's advisable to change the stock plastic lense with a glass one. www.flashlightlens.com

dswarthout

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I just spoke to the people at Streamlight and they told me the Scorpion is entirely made in the USA. I am getting one as a replacement for a Tasklight 2-L that I've had for a few years and on which the switch has failed TWICE with very minimal use. I told them it was a bad situation and bad for SL's reputation. The service rep agreed and is sending me the Scorpion for free. Apparently the 2-L was made in China.

I hope it's a good light. I saw another poster's remarks about the lithium batteries and I would tend to agree except that I bought about a dozen of them when I bought the Tasklight so actually I'm wanting a replacement that uses them.

Illum

Flashaholic
a light made in US may also fail in the same manner. It isn't where its made, its the quality control behind it. A US company with poor QC is inferior to a China made light with high QC

Howecollc

Enlightened
Streamlight Scorpion worked well for Tom Hanks in Castaway. His mistake was not checking the dead guy for extra batteries before burying him.

Howecollc

Enlightened
I've got the DVD. I never could tell what it was until somebody on here identified it; then it was easy to go back and verify. I did initially rule out the 6P due to Hanks clicking the light on and off.

Last edited:

radu1976

Enlightened
Last edited:

Illum

Flashaholic

Howecollc

Enlightened
Don't try it if your going to use it as a duty light, it burnt a hole through the middle of the polycarbonate window on mine after one full run too many....I sold it last year to fund something else...
Will the glass lens from a Strion fit in a Scorpion, and does the Scorpion have an aluminum reflector like the Strion does? I've never seen a Scorpion up close (other than once in a campground bathroom in Texas).

Patriot

Flashaholic
I've got the DVD. I never could tell what it was until somebody on here identified it; then it was easy to go back and verify. I did initially rule out the 6P due to Hanks clicking the light on and off.

Yeah, it sure was a SL Scorpion. It's been discussed over in the "flashlights in movies" thread. :)

I own it on blu-ray and it's super clear.

American lock picker, it's nice to hear that streamlight took care care of you. You'll have to let us know if it meets your expectations.