SunwayLED
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

Lightbulb NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

I just bought what seems to be the newest model of the Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series rechargeable spotlight (from Home Depot), and I am extremely impressed by it. It uses a 12V SLA battery and a 35W/55W dual filament H3 halogen bulb with a sliding switch on top to toggle between high beam (55W) and low beam (35W).

It seems to be the best pistol grip style thrower I have ever held, and can light up objects over 600 yards away with ease. It has a very concentrated pencil beam with a scorching hotspot right in the middle. I can't believe just how bright this thing is for only 55 watts, and how it out throws some of my 100W halogen spotlights.

Here are some pictures:

Beamshot of the new Black&Decker shining at a plant 20 yards away:

Now the Power On Board HID for comparison. Notice how extremely close the Black&Decker is in both coronal and hotspot brightness!

The new Black&Decker spotlight has a built in AC charger, and a green light that blinks when it is full. I have experienced very good runtime with this light so far. I really like the style and feel of the light, and highly recommend this light to anyone in need of an extremely powerful spotlight. My friend bought one of these recently on my recommendation, and he is equally blown away by it and happy with it in all ways.

Default Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

I just saw these at HD 3 days ago. They are a new item I think. IIRC they are $29. I have a $25 gift card so I think I may pick one up. Seems like a real bargain at that price.

How would you say the build quality and heft is?
    How would you compare it to the husky XR-E spotlight?
    Where can you get replacement bulbs?
    Color tint looks very white.

thanks once again for taking one for the team!!
    CLICK HERE for my flashlight reviews.
    PAUL KIM... AN INDUSTRY GENIUS

Smile Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by kramer5150 View Post
    I just saw these at HD 3 days ago. They are a new item I think. IIRC they are $29. I have a $25 gift card so I think I may pick one up. Seems like a real bargain at that price.

How would you say the build quality and heft is?
    How would you compare it to the husky XR-E spotlight?
    Where can you get replacement bulbs?
    Color tint looks very white.

thanks once again for taking one for the team!!
    Hello kramer5150!

You are correct that they are $29 at Home Depot.

The build quality is extremely good, and seems very rugged for the price. I imagine it could take quite a beating and keep on working. The weight is pretty average for a spotlight its size.

To answer your question about how it compares to the Husky LED spotlight, the new Black&Decker seems to have twice the throw of the LED spotlight and is many times brighter.

The beam is very white, and it is just as white on low since it is a separate lower wattage filament being properly driven rather than some other spotlights that just underdrive their one high wattage filament for the low and make a sickly yellow/orange beam. Sorry, but I am not sure where to get replacement bulbs for it.

OK thanks...
    do you think you could take a side by side beamshot with the POB spotlight at say ~ 50 yards? I was also considering the POB light.

OK thanks...
    do you think you could take a side by side beamshot with the POB spotlight at say ~ 50 yards? I was also considering the POB light.
    Sure, I will do it tonight. I have compared the Black&Decker to the POB on some trees over 300 yards away, and they both easily lit them up. The POB's hotspot on the distant trees was quite noticeably brighter, but the Black&Decker was surprisingly close and performs unbelievably well for being smaller than the POB.

Hey Blue, have you taken it apart yet to see if a ballast will fit? Have ya? Have ya?
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

Quote Originally Posted by BVH View Post
    Hey Blue, have you taken it apart yet to see if a ballast will fit? Have ya? Have ya?
    Lol BVH, I have not taken it apart yet, but would definitely consider it for an HID conversion if I didn't already have the N30. The reflector quality of the Black&Decker seems top notch and gives a nearly perfect beam for an incan spot. However, I will be posting a picture of the light taken apart soon for anyone who might want to get one for a conversion.

Here are the pictures I took tonight. The Black&Decker is actually much brighter in person than it appears in the pictures.

Power On Board HID shining at base of tree 50 yards away:

Black&Decker:
    Last edited by BlueBeam22; 02-17-2009 at 12:21 AM.

For those who aren't planning HID builds...

any idea how big the battery is?

I'd guess a 4 AH.
    WWII 60" Anti Aircraft Carbon Arc (Sold), Short Arcs: 1.6KW NightSun, 1KW VSS-3A, .8KW TrakkaBeam, 600 Watt M-134 Gun Light, 500 Watt X-500-14s, 500 Watt Starbursts, 300 Watt Locators, Megaray, 150 Watt Set Beam & Communicator, Maxabeam Gen3, LarryK14@52V

I just looked at the specs on the package, and it has a 12V 3.0 AH SLA battery.

Nice light BlueBeam!

I was noting how the beam shape resembled the POB but after seeing the first pic that you posted I didn't think it was anywhere near as bright. The POB just about turned that little shrub below the window white and the lower portion of the window disappears in over exposure. The B&D didn't come close to doing that. The second picture really makes the difference way more apparent though.

Thanks for showing it to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    Nice light BlueBeam!

I was noting how the beam shape resembled the POB but after seeing the first pic that you posted I didn't think it was anywhere near as bright. The POB just about turned that little shrub below the window white and the lower portion of the window disappears in over exposure. The B&D didn't come close to doing that. The second picture really makes the difference way more apparent though.

Thanks for showing it to us.
    Thanks Patriot36!

The Black&Decker is amazingly close to the POB in throw, but the POB's 1500+ lumen advantage over it really does show in the coronal brightness and spill. The beamshot of the POB was the older one I posted in the HID beam pics thread here. As bright as the POB is, the Costco/Ti Mega clearly smokes it in all ways (IMO)!

I am very happy with my purchase of the Black&Decker as it is a great alternative to my N30 and POB when I want to use something extremely powerful with the instant-on capability, but still relatively small and easy to carry. Its throw for size ratio seems much higher than that of my 15mcp Thor and other huge halogen spotlights.

I probably like this light for some of the same reasons you like the PH50 (not that these two lights are comparable by any means).
    Last edited by BlueBeam22; 02-15-2009 at 08:40 PM. Reason: typo

It looks to be a very nicely build light. I'd have to chuck the SLA and convert it to Li-po though.

Wink Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

Quote Originally Posted by Patriot36 View Post
    It looks to be a very nicely build light. I'd have to chuck the SLA and convert it to Li-po though.
    I really like how it is built. Its striking resemblance to the MegaRay was what caught my eye and interest in the store, and upon examining it closely I could tell it had to be a pretty decent light at that price.

The handle on top is very sturdy and makes it convenient to carry on a walk, and I especially like the feel and look of the long tubular body.

I promise more beamshots soon comparing it to some of my other lights like the N30, 3mcp Vector and 15mcp Thor.

Thumbs up Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

Hi everyone... I'm the friend Blue is referring to in his initial post, and can 100% confirm everything he said regarding this awesome spotlight! I have been blasting with it all night, and it easily lights up far away objects like my 18MCP THOR! Yes... I can't believe I just said that, but it's true! My mouth has been dropping watching its beam tear across long fields and emblazing light poles 3-4 blocks away! This black beast completely smokes both my Husky 2.5 and 3 million candlepower spotlights I've used, and is the best distance covering pistol gripper I've seen by far... It has great runtime too, as I've used it intermittently now for three hours and no dimming yet. This light is totally epic!!!! I can't wait to bring this camping with me......................
    Last edited by Showolf; 02-16-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Showolf View Post
    Hi everyone... I'm the friend Blue is referring to in his initial post, and can 100% confirm everything he said regarding this awesome spotlight! I have been blasting with it all night, and it easily lights up far away objects like my 18MCP THOR! Yes... I can't believe I just said that, but it's true! My mouth has been dropping watching its beam tear across long fields and emblazing light poles 3-4 blocks away! This black beast completely smokes both my Husky 2.5 and 3 million candlepower spotlights I've used, and is the best distance covering pistol gripper I've seen by far... It has great runtime too, as I've used it intermittently now for three hours and no dimming yet. This light is totally epic!!!! I can't wait to bring this camping with me......................
    It is amazing how this light keeps up with much larger spotlights! It does have the amazing throw and beam concentration similar to my Thor, and I am glad to hear you like it so much. Its throw is the one thing about it that sets it apart from all other pistol grip style lights I have used, as I simply don't recall ever using one of any size or wattage that matches it in throw.

Wow with all the rave reviews I want one! USD29 seems like a bargain for something with this caliber. Only question is when will they bring this to the major Malaysian hardware stores. But the sad part is I bet it will be significantly more expensive here though I hope not...

How does the B&D compare with the Brinkmann Qbeam Big Max 3 million?

Thanks in advance-

Please keep us posted if this looks like a good HID conversion candidate.
    Bob
    Polarion PH50 & Night Reaper, AE Xenide 20w, POB 35W, SL Scorpion, SL-35X, POB 55W, Jet Beam Jet-1, DEFT HO & EDC LR, MULE 35/80W HID, Maxa Beam MBS-410.

Quote Originally Posted by jxwhadley View Post
    How does the B&D compare with the Brinkmann Qbeam Big Max 3 million?

Thanks in advance-
    The Black&Decker out throws the Brinkmann and has a much brighter hotspot.

ADDED: I just wanted to say that I will most likely get a chance to take the beamshot comparison and disassembly pictures some time next week, and promise to get them posted as soon as I can.
    Last edited by BlueBeam22; 02-18-2009 at 07:43 PM.

Wink Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

I have definitely had way more fun than should be allowed with this amazing light! Highly recommended...

Very nice review!
    Greetings from Germany
    Toby
    Glowworm Vol.2 (a new design) -click-

Buttrock Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

I took this spotlight to the beach last night and its performance confirmed that it is easily the #1 pistol gripped thrower available... I was hitting whitecaps crashing 500-600 yards away from shore! Simply awesome....

Evilgrin07 Re: NEW Black&Decker V2 Million Power Series spotlight

As always nice light comparison Mr. Spotlight!

Now looking at the 2 lights it's obvious the POB is flogging the B&D... what's hard to accept (at least visually) is the the B&D is running a 50w halogen bulb!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22 View Post
    I promise more beamshots soon comparing it to some of my other lights like the N30, 3mcp Vector and 15mcp Thor.
    Ah yes... I'll be looking forward to this one (even if my bandwidth isn't)
    My modest collection HERE & 55w HID spotlight project HERE

Why does the POB color tint look so green in all those pics? Is the color tint that bad? The B&D by comparison may be dimmer, but it looks to resolve a lot of detail due to its color tint.

thanks again!!

Quote Originally Posted by toby_pra View Post
    Very nice review!
    Thank you toby pra, I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by Showolf View Post
    I took this spotlight to the beach last night and its performance confirmed that it is easily the #1 pistol gripped thrower available... I was hitting whitecaps crashing 500-600 yards away from shore! Simply awesome....
    I am glad it is performing so well for you. This light is definitely my favorite pistol grip spotlight I have ever used. It sure has no problem lighting up objects 600 yards away!

Quote Originally Posted by M@elstrom View Post
    As always nice light comparison Mr. Spotlight!

Now looking at the 2 lights it's obvious the POB is flogging the B&D... what's hard to accept (at least visually) is the the B&D is running a 50w halogen bulb!

Ah yes... I'll be looking forward to this one (even if my bandwidth isn't)
    Thanks M@elstrom! The POB is quite a bit brighter than the Black&Decker, but the Black&Decker is unbelievably bright and powerful for only 55 watts. It must have a really good battery and high quality reflector to be able to achieve that kind of performance. I am still very impressed at how it is so incredibly close to the POB in throw, and based on my experience so far it nearly equals the N30 in throw (the N30 is still a lot brighter in overall output though).

Why does the POB color tint look so green in all those pics? Is the color tint that bad? The B&D by comparison may be dimmer, but it looks to resolve a lot of detail due to its color tint.

thanks again!!
    I'm not sure why it appears so green in those pictures, it is actually much more blue than that. That being said, the Black&Decker does give much better color rendition.

Here are the pictures I took tonight. I know I still need to post one of it taken apart, and will get that done as soon as I can.

The target plant is around 20 yards away, and the hotspots of the two lights are directly on it. The first beamshot is of the Black&Decker and the second one is the N30.

The Black&Decker is my favorite spotlight of all behind my N30 and Mega Illuminator, and I feel it has the highest price to performance ratio of any incandescent spotlight I have ever owned.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueBeam22 View Post
    Thank you toby pra, I appreciate it!

I am glad it is performing so well for you. This light is definitely my favorite pistol grip spotlight I have ever used. It sure has no problem lighting up objects 600 yards away!

Thanks M@elstrom! The POB is quite a bit brighter than the Black&Decker, but the Black&Decker is unbelievably bright and powerful for only 55 watts. It must have a really good battery and high quality reflector to be able to achieve that kind of performance. I am still very impressed at how it is so incredibly close to the POB in throw, and based on my experience so far it nearly equals the N30 in throw (the N30 is still a lot brighter in overall output though).

I'm not sure why it appears so green in those pictures, it is actually much more blue than that. That being said, the Black&Decker does give much better color rendition.

Here are the pictures I took tonight. I know I still need to post one of it taken apart, and will get that done as soon as I can.

The target plant is around 20 yards away, and the hotspots of the two lights are directly on it. The first beamshot is of the Black&Decker and the second one is the N30.

The Black&Decker is my favorite spotlight of all behind my N30 and Mega Illuminator, and I feel it has the highest price to performance ratio of any incandescent spotlight I have ever owned.
    Great beamshots! I personally prefer the Black & Decker due to its whiteness and ability to well define any object it hits... I don't think you will find a 55W bulbed spotlight more impressive than this one! I would have believed it was 55Watts had I not read it on the package specs... It surely performs right up there with any of the big boy lights, and is really tough to beat for the price!!!!

Does the light or the box it came in show a model number? I went to my local Home Depot and they JUST ran out of the model SL202B. Googling it however, turns up this one: http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=17985

This is either a different model or a previous version of yours.

Thanks!

Under tech specs of the light in your link it says it's a 75W Halogen.

Does the light or the box it came in show a model number? I went to my local Home Depot and they JUST ran out of the model SL202B. Googling it however, turns up this one: http://www.blackanddecker.com/Produc...roductID=17985

Thanks!
    Bob
    Polarion PH50 & Night Reaper, AE Xenide 20w, POB 35W, SL Scorpion, SL-35X, POB 55W, Jet Beam Jet-1, DEFT HO & EDC LR, MULE 35/80W HID, Maxa Beam MBS-410.

Does the light or the box it came in show a model number? I went to my local Home Depot and they JUST ran out of the model SL202B. Googling it however, turns up this one:

Thanks!
    Mine is model number SL302B, and is different from the orange one. I owned the orange one (SL202B that your link goes to) for a short period of time a few months ago, and I do not recall it throwing as well as the black one does. It ended up breaking (would not operate) after the first few uses and I took it back.

The package my new one came in states that it uses a 55W/35W bulb, and it is a dual filament whereas the orange one had only a single filament.
    Last edited by BlueBeam22; 02-20-2009 at 07:29 PM.