Charging Li-Ion 18650 cells in battery holders

jmodic

Newly Enlightened
Currently I have 7.4V 6600mAh battery pack from all-battery that I charge with Ansmann Powerjack Li 2 charger. Charger by itself has overcharging protection (it stops charging at approx 8.1V), plus battery pack has its own overcharge/deep-discharge protection PCB built in.

Now I'm planning to build another pack by sticking 4 18650 cells into one of these http://www.turboferret.co.uk/ holders in 2S2P configuration. I will use protected 18650 cells.

I have two options of how to charge this pack:

a) Take all cells out of the adapter and charge them one by one separately. I have rather simple cell charger that has overcharging protection, but no fancy features as balance charging of multiple cells.

b) leave the cells in the adapter in 2S2P configuration and charge them all at once with my Ansmann Powerjack charger.

Now question for you, battery experts. Which option would you prefer? What are advantages/disadvantages of each?

TIA

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Jmodic,

Welcome to CPF.

I would charge them as a battery pack, and every few cycles check to see that they are all in balance. As long as the cells remain in balance you can continue to charge as a battery pack, but if things get out of balance you will have to charge each cell separately.

Just a reminder that you will be able to keep things in better balance if you recharge often and don't run the cells all the way down each time you use the light.

Tom