Another noob here

ClancyO

Newly Enlightened
Hi, my name is Clancy, and I'm a flashaholic.

I've been lurking for a while, but last Thursday I finally ordered my first, my soon to be edc - a fenix PD20 (Q5) - and I've been checking the tracking everyday. It'll be home when I get there tonight, and I can't wait! This is surely a sign of addiction – I haven't even had my first taste yet!!

So… What's the next step? Help me feed my new addiction. I'm guessing something more tactical next – something along the lines of P6 sized (but probably not a surefire yet as my wife might object to that sort of coin.)

NotSoBrightBob

Newly Enlightened
Welcome aboard CPF..... You will love the PD20. Good choice for jumping right in. Don't rule out a Surefire G2 or even a 6P they are both close in price to what you have and will introduce you to the Surefire line. Don't expect equal performance as I'm sure your Fenix will be brighter than eiter of those two surefires but raw lumen numbers is only part of the equation that makes this hobby fun.

Play with the PD20 and figure out what you like and don't like then start looking for a light that has your desired features.

Most of all don't think you have to spend hundreds of dollars on a new light to get all excited. the Wally World and Target aisles sometimes have a find in there for us Flashaholics.

Enjoy!

Bob

ClancyO

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Bob,

I am a noob - apparently all the 6Ps I saw the first pass were tricked out versions - I didn't realize I could just buy a 'standard' 6P so 'affordable' and start modding. This could get bad...

wford

Newly Enlightened
I'm a new member here also and look forward to the input on this thread. I'm getting started with a nitecore d10. I find that just one flashlight gives me an excuse to look at all the battery options and chargers that go along with them.

Just reading about the mods and customs is alot of fun too.

HKJ

Flashaholic
So… What's the next step?

There are many interesting possibilities:

Going smaller, get a Fenix LD01
Want more throw, get a Dereelight DBS or Tiablo A10
More tactical: Fenix TK11, OLight M20 or Jetbeam Jet-III M
Want a very high power light: Get a 35W HID
Want to modify a light: Get a maglight and make a ROP
Want a super advanced light: LiteFlux

Gunner12

Flashaholic
If you want to have the versatility of the 6P(drop-ins and other aftermarket parts) there are clones and similar lights that can also use the same parts the 6P can use.

I hope you like the PD20! Don't forget that you can get the current L/LD series bodies(L1D, L2D, LD10, LD20, L1T V2.0, L2T V2.0) if you want AA power.

:welcome:

wford

Newly Enlightened
There are many interesting possibilities:

Going smaller, get a Fenix LD01
Want more throw, get a Dereelight DBS or Tiablo A10
More tactical: Fenix TK11, OLight M20 or Jetbeam Jet-III M
Want a very high power light: Get a 35W HID
Want to modify a light: Get a maglight and make a ROP
Want a super advanced light: LiteFlux

Thanks the LiteFlux web site looks very interesting. If you dont mind, what does HID stand for. (pardon if its on the faq and I missed it.)

ClancyO

Newly Enlightened
Ok, I'm hooked... Next light is either a TK11 R2, or a 6P, or both... then maybe a dereelight...

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks the LiteFlux web site looks very interesting.

Before buing any of them, check this thread for a programming flowchart, then you know what you are getting into.
If you wish to buy some LiteFlux, check in our Markedplace, dealers corner. A guy called "Led Cool" has sale threads for the different models.

If you dont mind, what does HID stand for. (pardon if its on the faq and I missed it.)

HID lights has a good efficiency and you can get rather powerfull flashlights with decent (1 hour) run times. A 35W HID is in the same range of light as the headlamps from a car.

Polarion is one of the best, but the price is rather high.

Some other HID's at a lower price are AmondoTech N30, Tactical HID, Microfire

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
My standard greeting: CPF is like Hotel California.. "You can check out any time you like,but you can never leave.)

Oh,and say goodbye to your wallet..it'll vanish before you know it.

kaptein america

Newly Enlightened
That Polarion PH 50 is crazy. Just crazy.
How many crazy people have purchased that thing?
Not saying it is bad to be crazy
just saying