Acebeam        
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solar voltage limiter?

Default Re: Solar voltage limiter?

No. It'll cook the 1W zener when the batteries are charged, which is then the zener 'kicks in' and limits the voltage.

You'll have to use the other methods other people have suggested here.

Chris

[ QUOTE ]
    Burnt_Retinas said:
    No. It'll cook the 1W zener when the batteries are charged, which is then the zener 'kicks in' and limits the voltage.

You'll have to use the other methods other people have suggested here.

[/ QUOTE ]

First part's true, with four times the current (and therefore four times the power) 1.2 Watts will 'cook' a 1 Watt part. But not a two Watt, or two ones in series.....

The idea still works just fine. You just need bigger parts for a bigger job.

Doug Owen

True Doug, thanks. I should have thought the same but didn't. I guess I was too focussed on answering the question, rather than providing an equally effective and cheap solution.

It may be worth noting, that a) if two in series are used, then they will each need to be half the required voltage ie 3V and, b) the power (read heat) still needs to be gotten rid of somehow regardless of the power capability of the part. One watt is not a lot however, so perhaps a large-ish PCB (PWB) piece of copper trace or similar heatsinking will do. Perhaps even the wires from the panel will suffice to take the heat away?.

Chris

Unenlightened

Quote Originally Posted by Burnt_Retinas View Post
    True Doug, thanks. I should have thought the same but didn't. I guess I was too focussed on answering the question, rather than providing an equally effective and cheap solution.

It may be worth noting, that a) if two in series are used, then they will each need to be half the required voltage ie 3V and, b) the power (read heat) still needs to be gotten rid of somehow regardless of the power capability of the part. One watt is not a lot however, so perhaps a large-ish PCB (PWB) piece of copper trace or similar heatsinking will do. Perhaps even the wires from the panel will suffice to take the heat away?.

Chris

How would it differ for OP to use six 1v zeners in series across the 200ma pv output? Would increasing the number of zeners remove the need for heatsinking? I'm wanting to do this with a 12v 30-watt pv.

Honorary Aussie

Great info, all, thanks!
    It is better to buy a beautiful, expensive, custom flashlight than to curse the darkness.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12