• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Stonewashed McGizmo

Death's Head

Enlightened
My S27-PD was starting to looks kinda gnarly, so I sent it across an ocean to the other side of the earth to get the work done on it. He was willing, and qualified to do the work.
This flashlight is very special to me because it was gifted to me. And now the flashlight is now even more special.
Thanks friends!
LunaSol27004-1.jpg

LunaSol27003-1.jpg

LunaSol27002-1.jpg

LunaSol27001-1.jpg

(Moderator note: Pics non-compliant with CPF image rules deleted.)

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Very impressive, if whoever does this finishing process ever decides to advertise, they stand to be rewarded handsomely..

It's interesting to think that while you probably have one of the most recent PDs, you now have the oldest-looking one by a sound margin..

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Nice! Ever since going for blasted finishes, it's hard to go back! They wear like nothing else!

To the mystery :sssh: finisher, well done!

:thumbsup: john

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sorry to say that I just can't see the improvement over a stock shiny new LS27.
It is a rare light to begin with. I guess that if you are looking to make it look beat up or aged then you succeeded.
I would like to see what you call gnarly.
I prefer a real used look to a "used" finish.
It is like buying jeans which have been "stonewashed" to make them look used. Instead of just using them and washing them allowing them to develop their own personality over time.
Titanium does this in it's own way all by itself.
The big problem here is now that you have PRETTIED up your LS27 you risk LOOSING the NEW finish if you use it and make it gnarly again.
I have not found a finish that Titanium HOLDS well. (others may have I just haven't) My experience is that a finish applied to TI tends to wear UNLIKE nice hard annodozed aluminum whose finish is very hard and designed to last and last.
please show us what it looked like before you did that to it.
Yaesumofo

Death's Head

Enlightened
I am sorry to say that I just can't see the improvement over a stock shiny new LS27.
It is a rare light to begin with. I guess that if you are looking to make it look beat up or aged then you succeeded.
It is like buying jeans which have been "stonewashed" to make them look used. Instead of just using them and washing them allowing them to develop their own personality over time.
The big problem here is now that you have PRETTIED up your LS27 you risk LOOSING the NEW finish if you use it and make it gnarly again.
I have not found a finish that Titanium HOLDS well. (others may have I just haven't) My experience is that a finish applied to TI tends to wear UNLIKE nice hard annodozed aluminum whose finish is very hard and designed to last and last.
Yaesumofo
You haven't found a finish that Ti holds well? From my experience, stonewashed finish holds quite well. Most of my Ti framelocked knives and other Ti tools have been stonewashed.
And who said that this is an improvement over a new McGizmo?
Also, you ask about my flashlight looking gnarly. Let's just say that it didn't look like a pair of old jeans like it does now. Looked more like what a new BMW looks if I took for 2 hours of off-roading. Not pretty.
Oh, and sorry, I have no pics of the light right before it was stonewashed. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would have left the clip factory or polished for some contrast...Still looks good.

octaf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello, Death's Head !

It really looks cool !

I'd like to do stonewash touch to some of my Ti lights !

Cheers :thumbsup:

jch79

**Do Not Feed The Vegan**,
Yaesumofo

Mofo,
Don't be sorry - it's all a matter of opinion - and ours couldn't be further apart. :D I pocket carry a blasted CR2 Ti light, almost every single day, along with my keys (and a Ti AlTiN Draco), and IMHO the light couldn't look sweeter (ask bf1 or TB :wave: - they saw it last week). YMMV. :shrug:
john

JohnnyDeep

Newly Enlightened
Stonewashed titanium is an excellent finish that holds extremely well, and just gets more beautiful when used. I have many knives to prove that.
The finish hides small scratches and nicks. Also very easy to repeat if needed.
Nice variants to the finish can be achieved if applied on top of polishing, hand rubbing, sand blasting or bead blasting or even combination of those.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Interesting finish. Does look like it has been around for years, sort of worn in. I believe you when you say that it was not looking good before you had the stone was job done, but I too would have like to have seen the "before" picture. Pictures are sort of like "thousands of words", not to be original here.

Bill

Death's Head

Enlightened
I have a pic, but it was from when I had the light for less than a week. The pic would do any justice to what the light looked like before. I must have dropped the light several times. There were deep dings and rolled edges on the surface.
The rolled edges was what was getting to me the most. But I've also been on a stonewashed finish kick. I got about a dozen and a half tools from makers like Dave22, Raid-Ops and Atwood that has been stonewashed by SAR.