Surplus Ammo Boxes as a safe storage solutions for batteries?

merlin

Newly Enlightened
I hope that this confirms to the guidelines that Silverfox has listed, but as a storage solution for myself, I store my CR123s and 3.7v+ batteries in a Surplus Ammunition Box (Dimensions are about 12-inches x 6-inches x 7-inches).

I first got the idea from a CPF supporter/retailer who sells batteries with a Pelican case. I thought it would be a ideal storage container, because it is essentially made of metal, and it would have to be a pretty tough fire to punch a hole in it. I figure that if a cell was to explode in the container, there would be enough airspace in the sealed container to prevent a catastrophic release and it is contained in the container.

But, I have been getting second thoughts because this might be a flawed theory. Would it be safe to store such batteries in such a sealed container?

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Merlin,

Your idea is only partly flawed... :nana:

Some testing was done with several Li-Poly battery packs that were stored inside an ammo can, and then a Li-Poly pack was deliberately overcharged until it "rapidly vented with flame."

As I remember, the ammo can was completely blown apart and the fire ball was over 6 feet high. The other packs in the ammo can were also destroyed and contributed to the fire ball.

Now, you aren't overcharging Li-Poly packs, so I don't think a fire would have anywhere near the force with CR123 cells. Understand that you most likely can't keep the fumes from venting, but the ammo box should contain any fire unless everything goes at once.

If you can insure that your cells don't short out against the metal box, using an ammo box should give you some protection, but it is not absolute.

Tom

Flashlight Enthusiast
As Silverfox stated lithium cells can react fast enough to blow the can lid right off. You wouldn't think it but venting the gas is the best idea. A fire arrester is the important factor, as is containing the pieces. There is a product called a liposack it's designed to keep everything inside it while allowing the gas to vent easily.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
It is a good question, and to date as far as I have read....if Lithium primary & secondary cells are stored separately, without contacting metal, nor left inside a light they have been safe.

There are some cases where especially the softer Lithium Polymer batteries have sustained damage (i.e. a crashed RC plane or car), and would spontaneously short and explode into a high pressure, hot metal fire above 2000° F, with toxic fumes.

The Lipo Sack is expensive, and not large enough to store a significant number of cells. It is more designed as an enclosure for specific purpose of charging Lipos.

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
The ammo can is designed to be waterproof. That nice tight seal also allows pressure to build in the event something happens. If something happens to a whole stash full of batteries that pressure buildup and failure can be bad. Preventing that pressure buildup can be as simple as not latching the lid down and storing nothing on top of it. It should give before the rest of the can bursts.

Just make sure to latch the lid before grabbing the handle on top to move it.

merlin

Newly Enlightened
Oi! To prevent the battery to metal box contact, I am using some old Surefire battery boxes (small, cardboard type) and a combination of bubble wrap. But, I might invest in some Lipo sacks. Great information!

So should I scrap the ammo box, or go Otterbox?

Or, buy a bombsquad detonation container?:thumbsup:

USM0083

Enlightened
Drill a small hole(s) in the lid and put a rubber plug(s) in it. Tight enough to maintain the air seal, but loose enough to blow out if the internal pressure builds. You could even cover the hole with some water tight tape.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Merlin,

The bomb squad detonation container would be very safe... :)

I don't see any issues with using the ammo box, as long as you are aware of its limitations.

Tom

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello USM,

The particular test that I referred to earlier was to see if a vented incident could safely be vented through the wall of a garage. The ammo box that completely blew up had a 6" drier vent hooked up to it. The idea was that the explosion would be vented through the 6" hole.

Some flames did exit via the hole, but there was still a whole lot of pressure left to blow up the ammo box.

I don't think a couple of small holes would be adequate... :)

In the open, these batteries rapidly vent. However, if you try to contain the "rapid vent," they explode.

Tom

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Personally, I store mine in a plastic fishing tackle type of box with individually removable trays with adjustable dividers for cell size. Then that whole box gets stored in a concrete floor away from living area and anything combustable and in the event of fire, remote electric garage door would be my vent strategy.

Flashlight Enthusiast
Honestly and keep in mind this is an opinion. The danger of lithium batteries is not spontaneous destruction. In fact lithium cells are quite safe unless you are adding or removing energy from the cells. (Charge or discharge) As long as you keep the cells in a container that keeps them from shorting out they are rather harmless.

So as a little chart, for storage this is what you need.

1) Keep moisture and dirt out
2) Keep the cells safe from physical shock
3) Keep the cells within their designated operating temperatures
4) Keep the cells from shorting out

In my opinion the best storage solution is a plastic box with dividers to keep the cells standing up straight like you find in a fresh box of SF cells. Foam on the bottom and lid will keep them nice and safe.

As for charging or discharging outside of a light the lipo sack is a good idea. There is little danger in storage cycling is where the danger comes from.

Don't fear lithium cells, do respect them.

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i like the metal garbage can, with the lid off (not the new cheap ones)
you can start a fire in them, and it just burns ( i saw it on tv)
you can build up quantities of explosive gas in them, and it just burns, or whooshes
most good garbage cans have a LIP around the bottom that keeps them off the floor, so you dont melt things under em
It doesnt get noticed by homeland security
even a kitchen one is usually tall enough to keep battery rockets from leaving the top
the kids usually avoid anything already in the garbage :)
the batteries can stretch thier legs and move around a bit, without bothering the other ones in it .
you can charge in the bottom of one, as most chargers will fit in it
its already in the garbage, if you have a problem with it :)
but the #1 reason, it's cheaper than some of the stuff they sell that doesnt seem to be as usefull.

Last edited:

USM0083

Enlightened
Hello USM,

The particular test that I referred to earlier was to see if a vented incident could safely be vented through the wall of a garage. The ammo box that completely blew up had a 6" drier vent hooked up to it. The idea was that the explosion would be vented through the 6" hole.

Some flames did exit via the hole, but there was still a whole lot of pressure left to blow up the ammo box.

I don't think a couple of small holes would be adequate... :)

In the open, these batteries rapidly vent. However, if you try to contain the "rapid vent," they explode.

Tom

Ouch! Maybe a couple of big holes would be in order.

I store my batteries in a metal cash box, the type with a single plastic tray, metal hinge and a single metal latch.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Punch a hole in the ammo box and it should be ok. I've seen several videos of LiPo cells blown inside an ammo box; the blast of smoke would vent from the wire hole, and the boxes stayed in one piece. It's the pressure that blows them apart; remove it and you don't have a problem - well, relatively speaking, you still need to get rid of the toxic fumes.

Edit: hmm, it seems I'm late. Oh well. :p

CdBoy

Newly Enlightened
i know its a little bit of an overkill but i would suggest storing your lithium batteries in your fireproof safe or theft-proof safe. its the best alternative just make sure you don't store your important documents together with it in case of a venting or fire that might occur.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you saying this is a bad idea?

cell_CR123A_1.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
If you're using a metal container to store batteries, the only issue is keeping the batteries from contacting the metal of the box itself and forming a possible short. Just use some sort of liner or put everything in a plastic bag, problem solved.

Are you saying this is a bad idea?

Your batteries are all separate and shielded from contact with the box, so it's fine.