Klarus
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: ICON Rogue 1xAA Review: RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Default Re: ICON Rogue 1xAA Review: RUNTIMES, ANALYSIS, BEAMSHOTS and more!

Picked up a couple of the rogue 2's on woot not long ago and am wondering if anyone has tried 2 14500 cells in theirs. Poof?

Quote Originally Posted by veedo View Post
    Picked up a couple of the rogue 2's on woot not long ago and am wondering if anyone has tried 2 14500 cells in theirs. Poof?

Hello and welcome to CPF. Question asked and answered along time ago in this thread. Two of those are ok in the 2AA, but not one in the 1XAA. Don't cheat, read the thread, and do not expect others to answer all of your questions. There is a lot to offer here, and most people spend time reading this forum, sometimes for months before they even feel competent to post the first time. Me too. Good luck reading.

Bill

Read it, and seen your post a ways back stating that it was possible in the rogue 2, but i haven't seen any proof in this thread or any of the other threads linked. Sorry to bother you bill.

Quote Originally Posted by veedo View Post
    Read it, and seen your post a ways back stating that it was possible in the rogue 2, but i haven't seen any proof in this thread or any of the other threads linked. Sorry to bother you bill.
    No bother, and thanks for posting to my response. Good you read back. Our resident Surefire expert, Size15's, or another SF expert here on CPF, researched it, and Paul Kim reported back saying that the 2AA Icon could handle two Li-Ions, the 2AA model apparently having a buck circuit, handling up to 9 volts easily.

Cool, thanks for the heads up! Lights and cells should be here in a couple days, i will test it out and report back.

well i loaded up 2 aw imr 14500's and fired it up. switch fried. light came on nice and bright but very blue. maybe some rcr's would have been a better bet, but unlikely. so i think it is safe to say this is a bad idea, stick with 1.5v batts.

Looks like I gave veedo a bum steer re Li-Ions in a ICON Rogue 2AA. Please do not attempt the use of Li-Ions in ICON 2AA lights.

Bill

Note: Icon has changed the body and bezel on the latest versions of the Rogue 2 and no longer ships with a lanyard. Batteries still included.
    Be a Light In the Universe

Quote Originally Posted by T45 View Post
    Note: Icon has changed the body and bezel on the latest versions of the Rogue 2 and no longer ships with a lanyard. Batteries still included.
    Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad about the lanyard, I thought the one included was a nice touch (i.e., I liked the break-and-release feature).
    Full list of all my reviews: flashlightreviews.ca. Outdoor 100-yard Beamshots 2011. Latest: Olight ST25.
    Gratefully accepting donations to my battery fund.

The fact that the three I got from Woot for $13 each are all the new style would seem to indicate that the company is unfortunately defunct ? They have a simple non confusing interface coupled with a sensible output level that make them excelent for general use. My mom can use the one I gave her without a college level tutorial.

I tried the protected LiFePo4 batteries (Jiawei brand) from Target in this flashlight, and this Li-ion battery works just fine in the Icon Rogue flashlight - no sign of angry blue from the LED (just be sure whatever AA-sized LiFePo4 you guys are using are protected as the flashlight's apparently designed to kill the Alkaline batteries you feed it), and be sure that ONLY ONE LiFePo4 battery's being used, not two. The driver didn't mind 3.2 - 3.4V power. Also, I repeat (kinda); Only one protected LiFePo4 battery at a time. I doubt it will be happy with one regular 3.6V Li-ion battery, as veedo tried two Li-ion batteries in his flashlight, fried it instantly. The protected LiFePo4 battery that can fit in this Rogue flashlight is sized in 14450 - mine's 14430 so I had to stretch the spring in the flashlight so it can make contact with the battery's Cathode (-) side.

P.S. I think ICON's a dead company now as I couldn't access www.myiconlight.com anymore.
    Last edited by Dr. Mario; 09-02-2012 at 04:06 AM. Reason: A bit clean-up

Enlightened

uggg...Definetely not the AA light I'm looking for Thanks for a great review

Anyone got any pics?

My friend at work has this light. I never really liked it... He's been using it for about a year and its nicely beat up. No issues, and it still works good, but the plastic lens is so scrached up limits its usefullness if you asks me. He said he got it on sale for half price.

Its funny...I gave him 2 eneloops and that Sanyo crappy charger, and I was telling him how good eneloops are. I guess there wont be any difference from the alkalines he was usually using since it regulates all batteries the same way. Try to get my eneloops back...

Great review...

It's better for him to use Eneloops anyway. Rechargeable batteries conserve resources.

Welcome to CPF, and all of the good information available here on CPF. I lost and got back another ICON Rogue AA. It is very interesting flashlight. When used, it will drop lumen output to a lower level after 10 minutes, but if turned off and then back on it will go back to it's highest level for another 10 minutes. It works better with Eneloopes, and lasts longer in it's 10 minute off and then on 10. I've got dozens of LED flashlights and the ICON Rogue AA is one of my favorites.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Roood View Post
    Anyone got any pics?

The Rogue 1 body style remained the same, but I think the newer version of the Rogue 2 was a miss.

Quote Originally Posted by selfbuilt View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up. Too bad about the lanyard, I thought the one included was a nice touch (i.e., I liked the break-and-release feature).
    I thought that lanyard was the best factory lanyard on the market! I wish Surefire/Paul Kim, or whoever designed would it, would market it as a stand alone accessory. Or at least let us know where the clip was made so it could be ordered.

Radio Shack is clearing out their Icons. This model is $9.99 at my local store.

I just scored a green one for $6.95 shipped. The lanyard is nice and worth that. Nice quality, not a blaster but fine to scoot around a dark house with. Heavy solid feel. Great bright green color.