sanyo eneloops not precharged?

exodus125

Enlightened
I was selling some eneloop batteries on ebay. I was selling them in sets of 4 from those sets of 8 packs.

I just found out a buyer left me neutral feedback because he said the aa's he received were not pre-charged. The batteries were new and I have sold several from other packs and from that same pack that those came in and had no problems. I was wondering if anyone has experienced this where the eneloops come with a very low charge or no charge at all.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have not experienced it, but you could test them with a voltmeter when you take them out of the package. In my experience they should test around 1.35 V or so when new.

exodus125

Enlightened
I thought maybe the buyer was just trying to get something for nothing, but that doesn't make sense either because he didn't even try to contact me first, he just left the neutral feedback. I guess im going to have to either test the batteries or stick them in the charger before I send them out. I have sold about 10 sets of 4 and this is the only one that gave me a problem.

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would not charge them unless the buyer requests it. If I were buying a "new stock" product I would want to receive it exactly as it came from the package.

555BUK

Newly Enlightened
I stopped using ebay when they removed the sellers right to leave feedback.

Eneloops hold their charge for years. I have just broken open a pack of 2006-09's that still possess 70% of full charge. It is likely the buyer was mistaken.

exodus125

Enlightened
I would not charge them unless the buyer requests it. If I were buying a "new stock" product I would want to receive it exactly as it came from the package.

i feel the same way, it makes no sense to me for someone to sell "used" batteries and not have the common sense to pre-charge them before trying to pass them as new. ive had over 100 feedbacks left and this is the first neutral ive gotten, im bummed.

Ziemas

Enlightened
He most likely simply doesn't know what he is talking about. Some people always looking for something to whine about......

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all know Eneloops come partially charged, but does Eneloop packaging now explicitly state they are "pre-charged?" I know most others do, but not sure if Eneloop jumped on that marketing bandwagon to keep up witht the crowd. If the package doesn't explicitly state "pre-charged," I would leave a response to the neutral FB stating the manufacturer doesn't market them as pre-charged.

And FWIW, I quit selling on flea-Bay cold turkey when their strong-arm, manipulative, greedy, seller-antagonistic tactics I would stand no more.

SilverFox

Flashaholic
Hello Turbo DV8,

I have a package that gives this statement...

"Depending upon storage conditions, typically eneloop does not need to be recharged for the first time if used within 1 years from the manufactured date. However, there may be a time when some digital cameras may display the low battery indicator. In these cases, please recharge."

Tom

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
I have purchased eneloops which did not have very much charge out of the box. But after the first charge, they were fine. I think this is pretty normal.

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is just a rotten reason to leave you a neutral feedback whether he was correct or incorrect about it. Can you dispute it with ebay?

exodus125

Enlightened
That is just a rotten reason to leave you a neutral feedback whether he was correct or incorrect about it. Can you dispute it with ebay?

I can. I sent him an email last week and he didn't respond. I got on the ebay live chat and they told me to send a request for a change int he feedback. they told me if he doesn't respond in 10 days I can request a change directly to ebay and they will decide.

I am not upset he left the neutral feedback, I am upset he didn't try to talk to me about it first. I have never left or received negative or neutral feedback because if there is a problem I get it fixed before it comes to that. Just a few weeks ago I accidentally shipped the wrong batteries to an ebay member. I got 2 orders mixed up and sent him 2 aa and 2 aaa. he wanted 4aa, so I told him to keep the 2 aaa and I sent him the 2aa he had asked for, im out 2aaa batteries, but it was my fault and I made it right.

Had he emailed me telling me the batteries were low or uncharged I would have offered him a discount or a battery exchange or something. It just stinks that there are people out there that have no common courtesy. Maybe the batteries WERE in deed with ZERO charge when he got them, I didnt check the batteries before I sent them out, but no follow up email? I guess it's more important to mess up a sellers reputation than to get what he paid for. :thumbsdow

exodus125

Enlightened
Hello Turbo DV8,

"Depending upon storage conditions, typically eneloop does not need to be recharged for the first time if used within 1 years from the manufactured date. However, there may be a time when some digital cameras may display the low battery indicator. In these cases, please recharge."

Tom

yea, and I am pretty sure he uses them in a camera because his ebay avatar is a guy taking a picture. He must have popped them in a camera and then seen they were low on charge then had a fit. Although the 6aa 2aaa packs i got the batteries out of do not state anything like that, it just reads "pre-charged batteries" on the bottom of the package.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally Posted by SilverFox
Hello Turbo DV8,

Tom

Although the 6aa 2aaa packs i got the batteries out of do not state anything like that, it just reads "pre-charged batteries" on the bottom of the package.

He was just ignorant, as most of the masses are, about "pre-charged" rechargeable batteries. Although he did not have the benefit of the actual package to read the above text, even if he had, I doubt he would have been able to make heads or tails of it and give you the benefit of the doubt. "Depending upon storage conditions... typically... do not need to be recharged... within one year of date of manufacture." To many fuzzy grey areas in those terms, not to mention I bet he hasn't a clue there is a date code on the cells to determine if they were manufactured more than a year ago. He saw a half-full battery indicator on his camera and spent more time venting leaving you neutral feedback than it would have taken him to pop the cells in a charger. IOW, a real jerk...

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is easy, in your auction listing just write:

Pre-charge is nothing but a Sales Myth to get you to buy.
They are charged and they might run something,
but they would really like to be discharged and recharged fully
once before they are happy.
AND
please note, some devices will toss up a low-bat early
with any ni-mhy cells, especially if they are not happy.

Last edited:

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Or since you are selling from a broken package, I assume you state so in the auction. So you could charge them up before shipping and avoid the whole mess, and nobody would be any wiser.

exodus125

Enlightened
yea, i think the best suggestion is a combination of the last two, I will put this disclaimer on the listings:

Although Eneloops comes pre-charged, sanyo states :
Because of this, I cannot be held responsible for half charged or low charged cells. I have chargers at my disposal and if you prefer, at the end of the auction let me know and I will put a full charge on the batteries on my dime. If not I will ship as received from the manufacturer.

as far as the manufactured date goes, some AAA's I have left over from one of the packs have a stamp of 7-11, I would assume that is November 2007. That is 16 months old.

How does that sound?

Last edited:

exodus125

Enlightened
here is the email I wrote to ebay:

I contacted live help on 2-25-09 and was asked to email the feedback removal team to have the neutral feedback I received manually removed.

On 01-16-09, I sold 4 AA Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable batteries to ebay member XXXXX. He paid for the item and I shipped them out to XXXXX. About a week later, I checked my feedback score and noticed he had left me neutral feedback stating: "The product is not new as described, the battery not charge"

The buyer never emailed me stating his concerns or asking me to do something about the problem. He just left the feedback with no communication.

Upon seeing the neutral feedback. I emailed him asking him why he had not tried to contact me before leaving me the neutral feedback and that I would have made it right, but he never responded. I also submitted a request to have the feedback adjusted, but he did not respond to that either.

The fact of the matter is the batteries were not used and were brand new. I have sold several sets of these batteries and have never had a problem. For the buyer to assume the batteries were used, especially without first talking to me about it, is not right, and the neutral feedback left, and especially him stating the batteries were not new, but used, affects my reputation on ebay as a seller. Here is a link to a PDF document from the Sanyo company:

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...8dUf2QEp_b-tadA4Q&sig2=CuyWr9_AS3mtBZy9G5gXuA

in the document under "correctly use 'eneloop' Ni-MI battery" the manufacturer states: "depending upon storage condition, typically eneloop does not need to be recharged for the first time if used within 2 years from the manufactured date. However, there may be a time when some digital cameras may display the low battery indicator. In these cases, please recharge."

If you take a look at XXXX's information page, his picture shows a man behind a camera.

(link here)

This is just an assumption, but I bet he bought the batteries for a camera and when he put them in the camera, he saw they weren't fully charged and he assumed they were used.

Either way, I think it is not right that he left me neutral feedback for that reason and that he didn't even try to communicate with me about the problem. I have never left or been left negative feedback because I talk things through before I act. The fact that his statement " The product is not new as described, the battery not charge" is on my feedback page for everyone to see is not right. The statement basically shows everyone on ebay that I am a liar and a thief.

I am sending you this email so that you guys review all the facts and make a just decision on this matter. Review my ebay record and you will see I am nothing but a "model ebay citizen". I would also like for you to review a thread from www.candlepowerforum.com in which I state my frustration and concerns about this matter. These are people that use these kinds of batteries and are the ones that made me aware about the lower than expected charge state of these batteries.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2852523#post2852523

Your attention to this matter is greatly appreciated. Take care.

-Esteban

I will post back when I get a response.