Why no hotwires on older lights?

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
By older, I mean what many would call "vintage". I would imagine an old ROV would work great as a ROP! If you've modded an older light, please post a pic.

jusval

Enlightened
Most of the old lights I have seen and handled are Very thin tin and I wouldn't want to try one for a Mod. Also some of the glass is really thick and might distort the beam. Plus the reflectors probably wouldn't work well either and finding a replacement style would be hard. Just my thoughts. I haven't tried one.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a bunch in the works, this is the first one on a 1937 vintage light.

Old Bulb: 2.5V 300MA, 6 Lumen.
New Bulb: 6V GH44, Frosted 10W halogen, 201 Lumen.
gh44macro.jpg

Beam shot:

gh44.jpg

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have something similar I'm working on, also with the GH-44. A late '30s eveready miner's 3D flashlight 3" bezel.
What battery setup are you using?

Paul6ppca

Flashlight Enthusiast
I made a rop out of a ever ready bullet nose flashlight,worked great,I also put a mag 2d led in one,It needed a serious diffuser to look decent.It is fun putting new life into old lights.Be sure to find lights that DO NOT use screw in bases.They are a lot harder to work with.

AMD64Blondie

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was wondering the same thing. I think a old 40s or 50s 2D EverReady or Rayovac would make a great sleeper hotwire light.Sturdy,metal reflector already in place,and the shock factor(when you turn it on) would be priceless.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agree, screw bulb is hard to work with, I believe the GH44 is the max power screw bulb, 10W, 201 lumen. When over driven to 9V, >300 Lumen.

As for making the beam look nice, I select vintage flashlight with focus function when I can, such as the light above, 1937 but one of the few lights in that era with focus function. Also, chose frosted bulb when you can, perfect beam pattern when focused.

I made a rop out of a ever ready bullet nose flashlight,worked great,I also put a mag 2d led in one,It needed a serious diffuser to look decent.It is fun putting new life into old lights.Be sure to find lights that DO NOT use screw in bases.They are a lot harder to work with.

BVH

Flashaholic
Check out some of JetSkiMarks's posts. He's hotwired quite a few Vintage lights. Not just small tweaks, but in the multiple thousands of Lumens. The Volcano, I think, is one of them You could search with his user and that name.

I did one on this light.

Antique7.jpg

Antique6.jpg

Bought a high perf bulb and power it with 6 Volts using a Modamag 8 A to 2 D adapter

Last edited:

swampgator

Enlightened
You can ROP the older 2D versions of the Eveready Captain and Ray O Vac Sportsman with 2 18650s. Just make sure it has a glass lens and metal reflector. Really nice sleepers.