Whats the brightest LED SF 6P sized light you can buy?

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Who makes it, custom only? P7? What batts, rechargable only? Love to hear your thoughts on this!

I have a cheapie MTE that says it puts out 900lumen, its very bright but is a little bigger than the 6P sized lights.

Is it possible to get a light built about this size range that puts out 1500 lumen? Overdriven P7 or some other LED? Multiple LED's?

Thanks!
Matt

tophery

Newly Enlightened
I believe one of the brightest drop-ins for the 6P is the Malkoff MC-E. (http://www.malkoffdevices.com/shop2/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_14_19&products_id=52) It runs on 2xcr123's and I am not sure if rcr's would work. Although it puts out ~500 lumens, I have read that the 500 vs. 900 lumen difference isn't too great. Also, you know you will be getting quality with a Malkoff.:twothumbs:Additionally, more output is not always the best, since the small light will heat up almost instantly. Multiple LED's would probably have a 5-10 minute runtime and would burn your fingers off.:laughing:

There is also the Dereelight MC-E, which has also received some good reviews.(http://www.dereelight.com/module-list.htm) The output is near the Malkoff MC-E and it runs on 2 x rcr123's or 2x18650's. I have asked Alan from Dereelight if these run on primaries; Alan said it would, but isn't recommended.

Good luck in your search.:thumbsup:

ace0001a

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah in a small form factor flashlight like a 6P, a P7 or MC-E driven at full spec would generate too much heat to be reliable. Dereelight has a P60 MC-E drop-in that I think runs the emitter @ 2.4A and I heard it can only be run for short bursts at a time. I believe Gene told me the M60 MC-E runs the emitter @ 2.0A and uses a flood optic.

tophery

Newly Enlightened
Yeah in a small form factor flashlight like a 6P, a P7 or MC-E driven at full spec would generate too much heat to be reliable. Dereelight has a P60 MC-E drop-in that I think runs the emitter @ 2.4A and I heard it can only be run for short bursts at a time. I believe Gene told me the M60 MC-E runs the emitter @ 2.0A and uses a flood optic.

Actually, there are now running @ 2.1A. Probably because they would burn out quicker and also because they get hotter driving it at 2.4A. WadeF has a great review on the Dereelight CL1H MC-E, a light similar to the 6P.(Can't seem to locate it) He reviews it with the 2.4A version.

Pontiaker

Enlightened
Cool, sounds like I will have to pick up a new MC-E drop in. That is one thing I didnt think about, the heat. Not really a big deal for me as I dont seem to use them on high for very long periods of time. I guess when it gets hot I could just shut it off and let it cool down, thats why we all carry two or three lights right!:thumbsup:

How about getting 1500 or so lumens from the MTE sized light?

Thanks for the great replies!
Matt

Gunnerboy

Enlightened
I compared my Malkoff P7 drop-in against another member's Malkoff MC-E drop-in. The P7 looks brighter due to the more bluish-tint versus the more warmer-tint of the MC-E. The P7 projects a huge, but subtle hotspot, while the MC-E has absolutely no hotspot due to the flood optic.

Per ace0001a, I didn't realize that the MC-E is only driven at 2.0A.

electric sheep

Enlightened
I think Dereelight only dropped to 2.1a in fear of litigation in the US. The US does have a world reputation for legal recourse to problems and the risk is not worth taking if someone not familiar and sensible ran one for too long unattended then burnt themselves. I have the 2.4a version and outside hand held can run it for ten minutes or more without and trouble. Indoors i can also run it for ten minutes hand held and although it gets hot it is not so hot as to damage the LED. Left standing it would get to hot and damage the LED but common sense dictates it is a practical very bright light.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
To get 1500 lumens it is not possible with the P7. You could get a Maglight mod running 2 P7's then You could be close, but the size factor would go out the door.

The only way I can think of that you will get 1500 lumens is:
1. Big bezel with 2 or 3 P7's. A Maglight is ideal. There is one for sale in the Market place for cheap with 2 MC-E and runs on 3 D 1.2v cells.
2. Incandescent socket bin set-up
3. HID light 24W, big and heavy

A single P7 is good for up to 800 lumens, but 700 seems to be the safe way with 2.8 to 3.0 amp draw. The P60 P7 Gene made me gets warm right away at only 2.8amp draw.

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Malkoff P7 prototype, Lumens Factory IMR-9 (two AW IMR 123 recharegeables), Milky Roomsweeper... the Malkoff MC-E production model is only 4-500 lumens but gets correspondingly better battery life.

There's probably a bi-pin bulb for the Fivemega Sunlite reflector module that'll give them a run for their money on two IMR cells, but I don't know of it.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a Malkoff MC-E P60 drop-in on direct drive. Gene said on direct drive at 4.2v it draws 3.5amps and he estimates it at or over 1000 lumens. He said that it eventually settles down to 2.8amps after about 10 minutes.

I will be running this with my 6P bored and an AW IMR 18650. Previously I was using a P7 P60 drop-in from Gene and it made 700 lumens at 2.8amp draw. Gene mentioned that due to the lower forward voltage the MC-E will make more lumens than the P7 at the same amp draw.

I think this is probably the highest lumens you can get on a single LED emitter. Unless you build a MC-E direct drive and run it up to 4 or 5 amp draw.:devil: Granted it will probably go :poof::poof::poof::poof:

Is there a way to run a single quad emitter at higher amp draw to get 1500 lumens without the dangers associated with the high amp draw applications?

Even with my set-up I plan on using it for 5 to 10 minutes at a time. I do have another P7 P60 drop-in for my other 6P bored that has low, med, high. This will be used to let the MC-E cool. Can't wait for summer to go camping and play with the new toys.

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just ordered a Malkoff MC-E P60 drop-in on direct drive. Gene said on direct drive at 4.2v it draws 3.5amps and he estimates it at or over 1000 lumens. He said that it eventually settles down to 2.8amps after about 10 minutes.

I will be running this with my 6P bored and an AW IMR 18650. Previously I was using a P7 P60 drop-in from Gene and it made 700 lumens at 2.8amp draw. Gene mentioned that due to the lower forward voltage the MC-E will make more lumens than the P7 at the same amp draw.

What Gene told you contradicts what is shown on his website... so I'm wondering which is correct? From the website description, to run properly, this lamp assembly requires at least two cells (two to four 3v primaries or two to three 4.2v rechargeables). If it could run on a single cell, wouldn't it be called an M30 MC-E?

From the website description of the M60 MC-E:
"The input voltage is 5 - 13 volts. Below 5 volts it will drop out of regulation. Below 4.5v it will shut off. The output is 500+ lumens. The current draw is only 1300ma at 6 volts. The runtime is 45 minutes on 2 CR123 primary batteries. The LED is a Cree MC-E Quad Die LED."

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
What Gene told you contradicts what is shown on his website... so I'm wondering which is correct? From the website description, to run properly, this lamp assembly requires at least two cells (two to four 3v primaries or two to three 4.2v rechargeables). If it could run on a single cell, wouldn't it be called an M30 MC-E?

From the website description of the M60 MC-E:
"The input voltage is 5 - 13 volts. Below 5 volts it will drop out of regulation. Below 4.5v it will shut off. The output is 500+ lumens. The current draw is only 1300ma at 6 volts. The runtime is 45 minutes on 2 CR123 primary batteries. The LED is a Cree MC-E Quad Die LED."

He is building me a MC-E direct drive. :twothumbs:twothumbs:twothumbs

The one on his website is a regulated MC-E.

On DD the MC-E can only be run on 1 single cell; input voltage less than 4.5v. Gene said at 4.2v the amp draw was 3.5amps, but after it settled down around 10 minutes later: it was 2.8amp draw. You are correct it totaly contradicts what is on his website because they are designed different. I wonder if he can make the regulated ones 3.5amp draw...

Last edited:

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast

On DD the MC-E can only be run on 1 single cell; input voltage less than 4.5v. Gene said at 4.2v the amp draw was 3.5amps, but after it settled down around 10 minutes later: it was 2.8amp draw. You are correct it totaly contradicts what is on his website because they are designed different. I wonder if he can make the regulated ones 3.5amp draw...

Thanks for the info big guy.... now I understand "the rest of the story." ;)

steed77

Newly Enlightened

Lucky guy! he still has not responded to my request. I hope he does.