Mag 2D Rebel vs. TK11 vs. Mag 3D Malkoff

KevDawg0324

Newly Enlightened
Hello. This is my first review so bare with me if I do something wrong. This is to give a side-by-side of these lights to give reference of brightness. Enjoy!

This picture is of the "Mag 2D Rebel, TK11, Mag 3D Malkoff" at approximately 1 foot. Shutter speed of 1/250.
CIMG2429.jpg

This picture is of the "Mag 2D Rebel, TK11, Mag 3D Malkoff" at
approximately 1 foot. Shutter speed of 1/1600.
CIMG2436.jpg

This picture is of the "TK11, Mag 3D Malkoff, Mag 2D Rebel" at approximately 3 feet. Shutter speed of 1/1600.
CIMG2438.jpg

My 2 cents; The TK11 is definately the floodiest one of them all but can hold its own in throw. It lights up the inside of the house the best and also has an almost identical tint to the Rebel (bluish). The Malkoff has the "hottest" spot beam and the most throw. It has a more "yellow/green" tint. The Rebel has the best shape of spot. The Rebel is a huge improvement imo(worth buying). However, it is not as bright in spot or spill as my Malkoff. I think there is a deception in the new Mag because it has a deeper reflector than the original, thus contributes to the spot and throw which Im sure increases lux measurements. The Rebel's spill still leaves something to be desired, but is a great improvement over Lux III.
I think the pictures give an accurate account of what the comparisons are in real life. The only light that I feel gets short changed in the pictures by just a tiny bit is the Malkoff. It's definately better in person!

Last edited:

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also have a 3d malkoff in my maglite, but my reflector and lens are stock maglite, and the light is probably over a decade old, so they are not in very good condition. Hopefully getting an aluminum reflector and a new lens will help throw a bit.
Does anyone have any idea what the actual lux measurements of the malkoff has at 1 meter?

rockz4532

Enlightened
:thumbsup:eek:n the comparison! You can put
at the back of the photo to make it show up, like this. Your first photo.
CIMG2429.jpg

JamisonM

Enlightened
I also have a 3d malkoff in my maglite, but my reflector and lens are stock maglite, and the light is probably over a decade old, so they are not in very good condition. Hopefully getting an aluminum reflector and a new lens will help throw a bit.
Does anyone have any idea what the actual lux measurements of the malkoff has at 1 meter?
I think money spent on an aluminum reflector is money that could be spent elsewhere. The aluminum reflectors are mainly for the incan. guys because they won't melt like the plastic ones. If your current reflector doesn't have lots of small scratches and finger prints on it, it should be fine. In fact, don't clean it, the standard maglite reflectors scratch so easily that with every touch of the reflective coating, you will loose a little bit of performance.

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
My reflector is old, so it does have many small scratches on it. If I need a new reflector anyways, I might as well spend 12 bucks and get the aluminum reflector from kaidomain, which is apparently of decent quality. I also like the fact that it has a detachable cam, so i don't have to cut the reflector, and can use it with a bulb if i want to.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened

I believe the 3D malkoff has approximately 12,000 lux at 1meter, while the 2D has around 10,000. Keep in mind I am just calling these up from a review, so either my memory or the reviewer could be off by a bit.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
I think money spent on an aluminum reflector is money that could be spent elsewhere. The aluminum reflectors are mainly for the incan. guys because they won't melt like the plastic ones. If your current reflector doesn't have lots of small scratches and finger prints on it, it should be fine. In fact, don't clean it, the standard maglite reflectors scratch so easily that with every touch of the reflective coating, you will loose a little bit of performance.

The stock Mag reflector is excellent and has been used in several applications. Malkoff uses it, and Mr Bulk used it for his Chameleon Chamelhead, and LionHead. My Chamelhead on my Chameleon with a Seoul P4 and 18650 is just awesome.

Bill

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I love 3D Malkoff. The runtime is not the best vs. 2D or 4D but brightness is. The really cool thing I can use 4xC cells in it.

M@elstrom

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for going to the effort of comparing the 3 lights, personally I don't like white wall hunting and prefer outside environment photo shoot comparisons ;)

Good effort :thumbsup: