• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Stupid LunaSol 20 question

Katdaddy

Enlightened
We have a canoeing and camping trip coming up in a few weeks. I see this as a great opportunity to enjoy my new LS 20 but I have a question. We used to camp on this sandbar a lot back in my pre CPF days. I remember that sand got into everything!!! How sand proof is my LS 20? Any special attention I need to pay while on this outing?

deranged_coder

Enlightened
We have a canoeing and camping trip coming up in a few weeks. I see this as a great opportunity to enjoy my new LS 20 but I have a question. We used to camp on this sandbar a lot back in my pre CPF days. I remember that sand got into everything!!! How sand proof is my LS 20? Any special attention I need to pay while on this outing?

To quote McGizmo in his LS20 thread:

Like all of my Ti lights, the LunaSol 20 is designed to be sealed from the environment and external pressure but I make no claim or suggestion that it is a dive or underwater light.

I think it is fairly safe as long as you do not keep opening up the light.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
If you see sand around the piston top or between the head and sleeve, blow it out or rinse it off before activating the light and you should be fine. If you miss some, it could get into the O-ring area and cause some wear and damage to the silicone O-rings but probably not catastrophic. The O-rings will keep the sand out unless you get enough sand in there and work it into the O-rings by a fair amount of activations. :shrug:

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
A related question: it should be (relatively) safe to activate, either by twisty or momentary on the piston, submerged, correct? (without sand)

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
A related question: it should be (relatively) safe to activate, either by twisty or momentary on the piston, submerged, correct? (without sand)

To be honest, I wouldn't activate any light while submerged, but I am ultra-conservative that way. I usually turn on or off above water and then take it under.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

It should, yes. There is wisdom in Big Honu's approach if it is acceptable,