I'm a murderer

Saaby

Flashaholic
I\'m a murderer

I killed a lovely iMac 700 Mhz G3 today. I got this:

error.jpg

So I did...and it gave me it again, and again, and again. Normally I wouldn't be too worried but I had a movie on this particular iMac that I have been working on for the past 2 weeks. I was going to order a (used) Mac Thursday, now I'm reconsidering /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif (Not really)

Turns out the iMac had a botched CD-Rom keeping it from booting so I guess back to Apple for it. Apple did do one brilliant thing though, we were able to connect the iMac to a PowerMac via Fire Wire and boot the iMac as a Fire Wire drive (Boot while holding "T") so I was able to pull my files off.

Little crazy eh? I just walked around all day in a daze...I killed an iMac, I killed an iMac....

Empath

Flashaholic
Re: I\'m a murderer

[ QUOTE ]
Saaby said:
I just walked around all day in a daze...I killed an iMac, I killed an iMac....

[/ QUOTE ]

You say that like it's a bad thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

star882

Enlightened

All I can say is: Backup!
I had a 6GB Maxtor hard drive fail on me, nearly taking 3GB of work with it.
I was able to install the drive in my other computer and transfer files to the 20GB Samsung hard drive.

BF Hammer

Enlightened

Hurray for Saaby! Kill another iMac for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/naughty.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif

problemsolved.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*

As long as it doesn't get replaced with a PINK I-Mac. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mur-didly-urdurler!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Now, I command you to kill again! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

-Jason

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

ha ha, you panicked your kernel /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I'm less concerned by a CDRom failure than I am if it was the voices or not that told you to do it...

Tomas

Banned

I've run into the trick of mounting a flakey iMac as a Firewire drive once before. Neat trick! I've since used the same trick to mount my mum's iMac as a drive on one of my machines so I could shovel a bunch of apps and such into it.

Strange as it may seem, I really like the current top eMac. Excellent screen, (better than the LED screens for someone into graphics), solid machine.

Currently on the machine I'm typing this on I have an external Firewire drive (LaCie) mirroring my internal HD. I can boot from either one in an emergency OR just pop the external drive off and make any other Mac MY Mac by plugging it in ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thomas, I'm in the process of getting one of those eMacs for my mom. She's got an ancient performa and needs an upgrade /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Any advice? How are you mirroring that drive? Are you using the actual disk tools stuff and creating a RAID or using some other utility?

Being able to sync all your stuff between various computers is going to be a big feature of shaguar (or whatever they are calling the 10.3 update) and I'm looking forward to being able to get one of those new 970 based towers for audio and sequencing work while still using my laptop for email and when sitting at the coffee shop. (the coffee shop in question has T-Mobile service and works GREAT with my powerbook)

zmoz

Enlightened

Kill 'em all! Kill 'em all!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

Tomas

Banned

I'm using, uh *looking* uh, uh, hmmmm. I'm using Silverkeeper by LaCie to automaticly sync files from the main drive to the backup - I have it set to never remove files, so the backup is growing a bit faster than the primary since it's even keeping things I trash (the backup has twice the capacity of the main drive).

Doesn't create a problem.

I also have one other ultra-compact firewire drive that I use Carbon Copy Cloner to synch it to the main drive once a week.

You may by now guess that I've lost a major drive before, eh? When it happens again I will NOT lose apps and data like I did on my old server. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tomsig03.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic

I'm a computer-challenged Neanderthal. I just copy my files to a CD-R every couple of days.

Turn up your noses all you want; not all of us are cyber-cerebrums. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Brightnorm

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast

Ah, yes... Running the comp in RAID and mirroring is quite sweet (even though it's 4 disks)...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tomas

Banned

Not quiet a backup like was being discussed, but another backup app I use and has saved me a time or two is Back up user prefs 2.4.1 that just makes a backup of all your prefs and settings and stores them for that time when SOMETHING gets hashed, and needs to be cleaned up.

It's all just done as a marvelous script, and the sense of humor is nearly as good as the smooth way it just plain WORKS.

If I were to rate it, I'd give it a "Five Mouse" rating ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tomsig03.gif

-= MICROSOFT FREE ZONE =-

Saaby

Flashaholic

Hey lets all help out our good friend TedtheLED--is there a "Target Disk Mode" type thing for Eithernet?

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hmmm, no "target disk mode" for ethernet. You need a booted computer to access the disk over ethernet. Well, almost, you can net boot the Mac from a Mac server and that would bypass any corruption of the system or user files causing problems during boot. But it wouldn't have helped Saaby since it would still have tried to init the built in hardware during the boot phase. Only fix would be to pop the hood and disconenct the cable to the offending device.

Thomas, on OSX I use rsync to regularly backup all my important folders. Mostly just my email, projects and preferences. I have 3 levels of backup. Each night after I finish work (if I get any work done that day) I rsync to my house server over ssh and then to a little firewire drive. So I have 2 copies of everything I'm working on never more than a day behind. at every major milestone I burn a bunch of CDR's. Keep some in a fireproof safe and send others to friends for safe keeping (those mostly contain encrypted disk images and not just all my source code in case they should fall into the wrong hands!) But don't use the version of rsync that comes with the OS, it can't handle resource forks properly and you may end up with damaged files on the other side. Do a search for RsyncX or drop me a note if you're going to do that and I can help /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Brightnorm, you're not a Neanderthal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I love CDR's, so much so that I write CD Burning Software for the Mac /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif